I use this guy, he is AWESOME!!!!
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #11012
O Captain My Captain
Modern Day Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit
I just bought a D606 130 to try it out. I just about milked 3000 miles out of my Michelin T63 Dual Sport Tire. I really liked the tire but want to keep experimenting. I'll try the Teraflex one of these days when I'm willing to spend the extra cash.

I have a D606 on the front and it seems to be wearing pretty fast.

Current odometer 11875

TJ, what kind of mirrors are you sporting there? Any issues with them? While I have no real beef with the stock round mirrors on my XRL, I can (literally) see the advantage of having greater visibility with a rectangular mirror.
O Captain My Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #11013
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Captain My Captain
TJ, what kind of mirrors are you sporting there? Any issues with them? While I have no real beef with the stock round mirrors on my XRL, I can (literally) see the advantage of having greater visibility with a rectangular mirror.
They are some really cheep after market mirrors that I bought at Cycle Gear. The previous owner lost the stock mirrors so I had to get something to be street legal. I actually have convex mirrors attached to them to help improve my visibility and the amount of vibration I get even with the vibration isolators.

*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #11014
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,036
Nothing to see here

In case this should change or I should vanish (don't get excited...I said IF )

here is the beginning of the RR for our trip to Baja.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #11015
O Captain My Captain
Modern Day Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 498
Thanks, TJ. While we're at it, how do you like your windscreen? Any buffeting/stability issues at speed?
O Captain My Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #11016
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
I just put a stainless steel front brake line on. I dont have a vacuum bleeder , whats the best way to get fluid flowing from the master cylinder into that hose ?
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #11017
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Go buy a vacuum bleeder!

Or, Take the old fashioned route and add fluid, pump lever and hold it, open bleed screw on the wheel cylinder, repeat. The only problem is that air constantly migrates upward. Should you elect that route.... Bleed till your blue, then take some tape and tape the brake lever about 2/3rd closed and tap the wheel cylinder with the plastic end of a big screwdriver and let it sit. The bubbles will migrate to the top. If you don't hold the lever, they cannot escape.

Next is to remove the wheel cylinder and hold it above the master and pump and bleed. Just make sure you have a spacer between the pads (Like the brake disc thickness...) so the brake pistons don't pop out.

OHHHHH...... And MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!

Buying a power bleeder really is the way to go though
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #11018
miweber929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
WTB: Dirt Bagz

Thought I'd try here first to see if someone had some, but I am looking for a Dirt Bagz setup for my XR650L. Looked and there didn't appear to be anything in the Flea Market that I saw.

Rebuild is going very well, engine is all together as of last weekend: carb, rear wheel, spockets installed last night along with new clutch perch, lever, cable, etc. Just need to finish wiring up the Vapor, get shorter staples for the seat cover, cut the new chain, front brake remounted and a few more odds and ends and it will be ready sooner than later.

Now comes the hard parts: starting the engine, hoping it all went together correct, adjusting everything and then waiting for spring to test it all. Why did I move to the Twin Cities? 6" of snow on the ground this morning and another 10" on the way.

Good thing I have a couple old snowmobiles to keep me occupied.......
miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #11019
miweber929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
Go buy a vacuum bleeder!

Or, Take the old fashioned route and add fluid, pump lever and hold it, open bleed screw on the wheel cylinder, repeat. The only problem is that air constantly migrates upward. Should you elect that route.... Bleed till your blue, then take some tape and tape the brake lever about 2/3rd closed and tap the wheel cylinder with the plastic end of a big screwdriver and let it sit. The bubbles will migrate to the top. If you don't hold the lever, they cannot escape.

Next is to remove the wheel cylinder and hold it above the master and pump and bleed. Just make sure you have a spacer between the pads (Like the brake disc thickness...) so the brake pistons don't pop out.

OHHHHH...... And MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!

Buying a power bleeder really is the way to go though
+1

They are $20 for the cheap one at Harbor Frieght Tools or $35 for the Mighty Vac which you can get at pretty much any auto parts store. Some of the best money you can spend if you have a bike or 2. I bleed brakes once or twice a year on all my bikes. 10 minutes with the Vac tops.
miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #11020
jeepkevin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
New owner here. Picked up an 08' trade in from local dealer with 600 miles. I'm up to this time last year in this thread. Great info!!!! Thanks to all who have contributed. I have done several mods so far, but I'm stll a year behind everyone, He He!!! I ride a KLR outfitted for the long haul but wanted something for short trips, and to get dirty on. I made the right choice, love this bike!!!
jeepkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #11021
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech
Thanks for the replies everyone. The guy I deal with for tires doesn't have the D606 in 150, the biggest size he has right now is 130. So for now I will give that a go and see how that handles. I will try the 150 next time.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
I have 3100 miles on a rear 130 D-606 and can probably get to 3500 miles. The front D-606 is history at 3100 miles. This was mostly highway miles. For a knobby I really like how they handle on the pavement. Good grip right off the bat!
I had a 140 Metzeler on the bike when I bought it. Switching back to a 130 really opened my eyes as to how much the taller tire detracts from the gear ratio. Not as much off the line grunt. I have the stock size 15T & 45T sprockets.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #11022
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
I have always bled the old fashioned way , just cant seem to get the fluid to even transfer out of the master cylinder and into the hose and caliper , i pump the lever a million times with the bleeder screw at the caliper open , and nothing is coming out , maybe it just needs to be pumped a couple hundred more times.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #11023
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley
I have always bled the old fashioned way ,
Me too - usually after crashing...... (sorry, just couldn't help it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley
just cant seem to get the fluid to even transfer out of the master cylinder and into the hose and caliper , i pump the lever a million times with the bleeder screw at the caliper open , and nothing is coming out , maybe it just needs to be pumped a couple hundred more times.

Anyway, if the fluid doesn't seem to be changing level in the master cylinder, it might be that the master piston is gummed up. Check page 13-4 in the shop manual.
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #11024
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,036
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkevin
New owner here. Picked up an 08' trade in from local dealer with 600 miles. I'm up to this time last year in this thread. Great info!!!! Thanks to all who have contributed. I have done several mods so far, but I'm stll a year behind everyone, He He!!! I ride a KLR outfitted for the long haul but wanted something for short trips, and to get dirty on. I made the right choice, love this bike!!!
welcome aboard the XRL gravy train

Peace!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #11025
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,878
jeepkevin
Welcome, but long trips on the XRL are cool too
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote