Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #11026
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Captain My Captain
Thanks, TJ. While we're at it, how do you like your windscreen? Any buffeting/stability issues at speed?
Can't say enough about the windshield. I've been at high speeds (75 mph) in high side and front wind and have always found that it helps stabilize the bike. No issues.

I did a full write up. If you have an Acerbis tank, make sure you get the brackets for the larger tank. See the below thread for details.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506238
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #11027
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999
While your in there replace that oil seal in side cover (oil filter side) that seals on the crank shaft. Even if it looks good,,,,,,, It feeds the heart beat.
Been cleaning all the parts and I remembered this post as I inspected the side case. Added it to the parts list.

John
Old 12-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #11028
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife
Yes Fritzcoinc i got a 101mm 10.5-1 XR600R piston from JE....There was a lot of discussion on this on TT and XR`S ONLY confirms this too...that the 600R piston pin is lower and the distance fron it to the top of the piston is such that putting this in a XRL does not give you 10.5-1.......instead you get something arround 9.5-1.....a nice midpoint,and keeps pump gas runability in play without spark knock........some people have a prob with the XRL at 10.5-1 on pump gas,,,some do not,i don`t want to have to deal with that possibility............you can also get the piston in 100mm to,,,but being a mechanic for 25 years tells me something,get the 101mm,,,why.......because to fit a piston to a cylinder you need to buy the piston,measure it at the proper spot(about 1/2 inch up the skirt according to JE) then take that measurement and add 3 thousants of an inch(the proper amount of clearance according to JE),,then bore and hone to this dimension........now if you buy the 100mm JE piston,measure it,add the 3 thou and find that your cylinder will be over that 3 thou clearance then you have to either resleeve the cylinder or try to return the piston and get the 101mm one...IF you can return the piston.....returning things is a pain in the butt,if you can even return it at all..........just cut that step out,get it bored properly and you know you are done,,,,,,the first time...

Brian
Are you happy with the end product and how it performs? I don't want to get into premium gas and will stay with stock to avoid it. One question from a very part time mechanic: Do I understand correctly that you did not have to resleeve. Just bore the OEM sleeve and hone.

Thanks for the info
John
Old 12-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #11029
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley
I just put a stainless steel front brake line on. I dont have a vacuum bleeder , whats the best way to get fluid flowing from the master cylinder into that hose ?
A break bleeder will cost you under $20 at auto zone. Make sure you get the one with the pump gauge. It will make things a lot easier. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #11030
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,221
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:24 AM   #11031
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:14 AM   #11032
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,094
What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

stop yelling it's freakin early

Merry Christmas !!!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2009, 04:45 AM   #11033
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Quote:
Originally Posted by father9
stop yelling it's freakin early

Merry Christmas everybody. OOOOH my head hurts this morning. Bulleit Bourbon. Good stuff in moderation.

John
Old 12-25-2009, 04:47 AM   #11034
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon

Merry Christmas everybody. OOOOH my head hurts this morning. Bulleit Bourbon. Good stuff in moderation.

John
I feel you John

Captain Morgan kicked my ass on Thanksgiving
Old 12-25-2009, 05:35 AM   #11035
omatza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Merry Christmas

MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone.
Good ridings, and enjoy the bikes.

(Danny, I sent you mail :-))
omatza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:54 AM   #11036
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
Merry Christmad to and yours from merry old England
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:32 AM   #11037
the come back kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley
I have always bled the old fashioned way , just cant seem to get the fluid to even transfer out of the master cylinder and into the hose and caliper , i pump the lever a million times with the bleeder screw at the caliper open , and nothing is coming out , maybe it just needs to be pumped a couple hundred more times.
You need a power bleeder (bikes are not as easy as cars to get started) syringe style can be found cheap & will do the trick, or send me a pm maybe I could take a ride up your way. P.S. the good power bleeders are $30-$40 pump type(I have both) P.P.S. still hope to ride with the baisley boys someday(got shorted at 7 mountains)
the come back kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #11038
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by the come back kid
P.P.S. still hope to ride with the baisley boys someday(got shorted at 7 mountains)
http://www.squaredealriders.com/schedule.htm thats the only ridin we are doin until spring , come do the mud & snow scrambles.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #11039
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,521
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Old 12-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #11040
the come back kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
did ya get your brakes bled? I am sticking to the roads & very lite trails for winter, maybe I will try some ice ridin on the lakes (already have the set up never used). Those scrambles seem like you would need $600 worth of trellborg tires or you would ruin your screws everytime out?? PS HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all
the come back kid is offline   Reply With Quote