Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #11161
omatza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Hello

The ROD in my rear shock is dead.
I got two used ones, but they were dead too.

I thought to order new OEM ROD, so if anybody has different opinion, I will be happy to hear :-)
omatza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #11162
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
So i adjusted my valves yesterday. Now as im starting up and shift into second, if i wap open the throttle like from 1/4 to 3/4-full the bike skips and regains momentum. I did a test and found out that it is actually the tire skidding on the road. Basically that input of throttle makes the tire spin so fast that it literally skids on the ground and losses traction for a second than regains it. The tire is a D606. This has never happened before and it was only after i adjusted the valves that it started doing this. The valves were not that much out of adjustment. Could the valve adjustment be causing that much more compression that it is putting out that much more torque that it spins the tire? Is Thumper just trying to weelie, cuz the front dont come up tire just slips?

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #11163
omatza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Congratullations on your new valve adjustment :-)
(BTW: were did you got the feeler gauge ?)

I don't know to answer your question for 100% sure, but it is not sound reasonable to me, that the valve adjusting made the XRL become a monster.
omatza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #11164
XRsteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
Thanks for the prompt! I ordered my Emig clamp with a Scott's mount and had the weld on mount installed. It is 2 bolts and a couple of minutes to swap to another bike, as long as the arm on the bottom is set up the same. I believe there is a straight and a drop mount. I had the damper from when I ran WP (WHITE power) forks with a top clamp that was set-up for the Scott's
Are you talking about the Emig clamp for the USD forks? I called them when I first saw it was going into production, but they didn't have much info at the time. I'm interested in getting one, mainly because it makes the conversion a bolt-on.
XRsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #11165
FatherX
demisocial

Oddometer: 4,363
Thumb aborted the abortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999
Ok pops, Go get your bike!!!!!!!!!!!! leaving it is not a option,,,,,,, this is all part of the adventure, It might feel like your going though hell right now, but you will look back at this and think you know "I HAD FUN"

So get up and go

You don't want some dude down there finding the bike and telling his freinds that "shit man all it needed was a plug"

hey Danny

thanks bud. things are turning norte.

an inmate is enroute to retrieve me AND the XRL.

Details later
Old 01-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #11166
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,196
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by father9
hey Danny

thanks bud. things are turning norte.

an inmate is enroute to retrieve me AND the XRL.

Details later

Good to hear. Were awaiting the update. How's the hangover?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #11167
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRsteve
Are you talking about the Emig clamp for the USD forks? I called them when I first saw it was going into production, but they didn't have much info at the time. I'm interested in getting one, mainly because it makes the conversion a bolt-on.

Correct... There was some issue with the steering stem, but I can't remember. It only took a few hours from start to finish. I had ditched the stock dash/speedo/boat anchor within an hour of owning the bike, as well as the key. Those were non issues for me. I am guessing if you wanted all of that stuff there may be a few fabrication challenges though
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #11168
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by omatza
Congratullations on your new valve adjustment :-)
(BTW: were did you got the feeler gauge ?)

I don't know to answer your question for 100% sure, but it is not sound reasonable to me, that the valve adjusting made the XRL become a monster.
I got the feeler gauge at the local bike shop here. An update on the slipping thing. I no longer think it is the tire slipping on the rode. I took off form the light today and it did i agian and it sounded like it came from the motor. It only slips in 2nd gear at the beginning of that gear, and only when i give it hard throttle. If i just do normal gas then it doesnt do it. Could it be the clutch slipping? I doubt so cuz its only in the beginning of 2nd gear. I would like to find out what it is but i dont have money to take it to the shop, and i leave for Yosemite in alittle over a week. I was thinking of just letting it be and seeing what happens when i change the oil just before i go to Yosemite. Can i just leave it?

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #11169
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by omatza
That items really looks great.
Who is Ron, what is his website ? (is it http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm)
What is the email ?
Ron Wallace
http://www.rswracing.com/
ron@rswracing.com
flatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #11170
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
Correct... There was some issue with the steering stem, but I can't remember. It only took a few hours from start to finish. I had ditched the stock dash/speedo/boat anchor within an hour of owning the bike, as well as the key. Those were non issues for me. I am guessing if you wanted all of that stuff there may be a few fabrication challenges though
RSW makes an upper triple clamp for the XR-L to USD fork conversion that retains the key, don't know about the stock dash/speedo/boat anchor
flatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #11171
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,991
Sounds like the way to go! Is it for the CRF forks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfender
RSW makes an upper triple clamp for the XR-L to USD fork conversion that retains the key, don't know about the stock dash/speedo/boat anchor
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #11172
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,263
I'd help you if I could...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave
I would like to find out what it is but i dont have money to take it to the shop, and i leave for Yosemite in alittle over a week. I was thinking of just letting it be and seeing what happens when i change the oil just before i go to Yosemite. Can i just leave it?
I don't know man, just leaving it doesn't sound like a good idea to me, maybe some of the guys here can help you get that cleared up before you go.

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #11173
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave

It only slips in 2nd gear at the beginning of that gear, and only when i give it hard throttle.

its only in the beginning of 2nd gear.

Can i just leave it?
Your not going to like my suggestion.

How many miles on your bike? What type of riding do you do mostly? Mostly street with alot of start 'n stops? I am thinking that the second gear shift dogs are worn along with third as they mesh together. Does the bike lurch on the hard acceleration? If so and this keeps up you will soon find that it will not stay in second gear at all and the shift fork is now shot from the gears popping out of position from the load. Yes you can leave it alone as long as you don't miss using second gear.

How do I know? Same thing happened to my son's 95 XRL. You will then have the opportunity to install the NX second gear as this requires a complete tear down of the engine. Bring it over to my place, I'm not busy.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #11174
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Yes I love the USD's they are awesome. I have all the parts to rebuild them this spring. The mount I can call Scotts and ask them what they recommend I am using the CRF clamps. Thank you. I was planning on getting the bolt on type.

I installed the Vapor speedo when I did the CRF fork conversion. I did make a mount for the key switch.

[quote=Wattner]Thanks for the prompt! I ordered my Emig clamp with a Scott's mount and had the weld on mount installed. It is 2 bolts and a couple of minutes to swap to another bike, as long as the arm on the bottom is set up the same. I believe there is a straight and a drop mount. I had the damper from when I ran WP (WHITE power) forks with a top clamp that was set-up for the Scott's

p.s.... How do you like the conversion? Is it all you hoped it would be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod
You suck! you know that? Lead me upon temptation! After talking with you I did the USD fork conversion. Thank god I don't have enough money to put into my engine that you do else I would have to sell my kids into slavery to afford riding!

How did you order your kit? From what I can tell you need the XRL neck bracket and the CRF triple clam mount right? Thats it!!!!

Is it hard to move the dampener from one bike to another?
Old 01-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #11175
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Eek SHOEI Hornet-DS Dual-Sport Helmet

It's not XRL related but I had to share. My wife decided to give me a year end bonus in black!!
I've wanted one of these for a while but couldn't justify the cost.

*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***

tjrockit screwed with this post 01-06-2010 at 01:58 PM
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote