Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #13561
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife
As for mounting it,they still have to refund your money,you found out AFTER mounting it,,not your problem,it`s theirs,,,,the least they could do is refund the diff between what you paid and the one i saw ...tell them you paid more BECAUSE IT WAS TITANIUM.....

Brian
E-mail sent to customer service. Thanks dude!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #13562
jasonkop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
hard starting

hard starting

I just got the xrl and I'm not really sure what the norm is in regard to cold starting. I did a few searches and found a few things that could be potential causes for what I'm seeing but it's all guesswork for me. These two issues were underpowered amp batteries and/or a non-functioning decompression. I have seen the bike run and after idling for short time it fires up easily...but to get there I have to boost the battery with 12v/2amp setting on my charger. If I don't use the charger to assist I get it to turn over 2-3 times and then it acts as if it's a bad battery. I suppose it could be but I just got it and what are the odds.

1994xrl ~3000 miles
Temp here has been high of 30F.
New Battery.(AGM) measured 12.62v plus I left it on overnight trickle

thanks in advance for any and all help

Also, can someone explain the oil setup on this bike? What's with having oil in the down tube? I'm coming from streetbikes and have never seen this :NEWB

jasonkop screwed with this post 02-16-2010 at 07:35 PM
jasonkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #13563
71olds
Motorholic

Oddometer: 1,101
Dave's Mods question.

I am about to go out to the garage to Do the Daves Mods jetting
Just got the motor back into the XR(what a PIA it was wiggiling that back in)
Anyway
I bought 55 pilot/158 main
& a uni filter & Removed the airbox snorkle
My question is why do I Drill the vacuum slide holes to 5/32
I am going to do it dont get be wrong but what does it do for me?
I have rejetted carbs before but I just dont understand why & am curious on how it works.
Thanks for looking at my dumb post but I am trying to be less dumb.\

00 Suzuki DRZ400S
71olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #13564
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben
E-mail sent to customer service. Thanks dude!

Cool,,,,hope you get something out of that

Brian
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #13565
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkop
hard starting

I just got the xrl and I'm not really sure what the norm is in regard to cold starting. I did a few searches and found a few things that could be potential causes for what I'm seeing but it's all guesswork for me. These two issues were underpowered amp batteries and/or a non-functioning decompression. I have seen the bike run and after idling for short time it fires up easily...but to get there I have to boost the battery with 12v/2amp setting on my charger. If I don't use the charger to assist I get it to turn over 2-3 times and then it acts as if it's a bad battery. I suppose it could be but I just got it and what are the odds.

1994xrl ~3000 miles

Also, can someone explain the oil setup on this bike? What's with having oil in the down tube? I'm coming from streetbikes and have never seen this :NEWB

Mine starts hard to,but i have a high compression piston.........

The engine is dry sump,meaning no oil pan,very little oil stored in the engine base,it`s stored in the frame till the pump needs it,then the pump draws it out and lubricates the vitals,all oil after use in the engine flows to the pick-up in the base of the engine and pumped up to the frame again....

Important thing to remember is after sitting awhile the oil can drain into the engine from the frame and when you check it it will appear low....

Only check the oil after it has run for a few minutes,or you will get an incorrect reading on the stick.....

Here`s the best way to check the oil on these bikes......only check it AFTER you are done riding it,,,,,,,it will be hot and show the correct level,,,,,,,,,,if it`s low then,top it off,,,,,,,then when you go to ride her again YOU KNOW IT`S FULL,,,,,and off you go...

Brian
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 02-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #13566
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Carb question, guys................
I'm rebuilding my 03 XRL with a 101mm Higher Comp. Piston, and a power up WB cam, Full WB exhaust and running the Edlebrock Quick Silver Carb. ..... and here's the question. I've heard alot of stories on NOT being able to get the carb right, ever, and just replacing it with another carb. IF I fall to the same fate, what carb would you guys recommend? I've heard also that a stock 650R carb works very well. Any Suggestions, and reasons behind them would be appreciated. Thanks Guys!

Boojum
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #13567
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71olds
I am about to go out to the garage to Do the Daves Mods jetting
Just got the motor back into the XR(what a PIA it was wiggiling that back in)
Anyway
I bought 55 pilot/158 main
& a uni filter & Removed the airbox snorkle
My question is why do I Drill the vacuum slide holes to 5/32
I am going to do it dont get be wrong but what does it do for me?
I have rejetted carbs before but I just dont understand why & am curious on how it works.
Thanks for looking at my dumb post but I am trying to be less dumb.\

Sweet you drill the holes so it slides up quicker. Kinda like a syringe if you have a bigger hole it allows it to slide easier. feel free to add or explain better guys. Oh yea don't drill the hole that the needle goes in the two outer holes are the ones you drill. Not trying to insult you I just read that people have drilled the center hole.
Nasty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #13568
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum
Carb question, guys................
I'm rebuilding my 03 XRL with a 101mm Higher Comp. Piston, and a power up WB cam, Full WB exhaust and running the Edlebrock Quick Silver Carb. ..... and here's the question. I've heard alot of stories on NOT being able to get the carb right, ever, and just replacing it with another carb. IF I fall to the same fate, what carb would you guys recommend? I've heard also that a stock 650R carb works very well. Any Suggestions, and reasons behind them would be appreciated. Thanks Guys!

Boojum

FCR........................

Ask Northern Dog,,he`s been there,done that

#13525 is the last post i`ve seen of his.he`s been all through the eddy carb problems,,,nice fella PM him...

Brian
Old 02-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #13569
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Any model #? Link of where to buy? etc..................
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #13570
vanpelt999
08 xr650l

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Rider
Sweet you drill the holes so it slides up quicker. Kinda like a syringe if you have a bigger hole it allows it to slide easier.
Slide opens quicker, and just as important, closes quicker. when i did my, 55/158, I didn't drill mine,,,,,,forgot too at times on pavement 3/4 too wide open 5th gear going up a long hill, 1/2 the time at the crest of said hills when letting off the gas fast it would let out one 12 gauge shot gun burp,,,,, knowing a 3 foot flame out the tail pipe was with it,,,,,,,, took the carb off drilled the slide, never did it again.

If your ever caught traveling back in time,,,and meet someone traveling forward in time,,, it's best not to make eye contact,,,, just saying...
vanpelt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #13571
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,249
How cold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKcruiserfreak
Hey all,
After reading through hundreds of pages of this particular thread, I still have a question revolving around my particular future purchase.
I found a 1993 XR650L with 26k miles, rebuilt motor, a few typical aftermarket parts(tank, seat, brakes, and exhaust), and some plastic rash. It started right up cold @ -10, good compression, drove fine (forks need seals), and has about $3k in recent motor, trans, and aftermarket purchases. He wants $2k for it, but I think I can get it for about $1,500.
What should I worry about on this particular bike given the high(ish) miles? Cosmetically it is rough, but it seems like the guy was fairly anal about maintenance given the receipt records. He primarily used it as a pavement pounder.
Sorry, if I posted this in the wrong area. Blame it on my newb status.
Hey man, I would like to see you get an XRL just as much as the rest of the guys here but I WOULD NOT BUY THAT ONE!

If you went to go see that bike and he says it wasn't already warmed up before it "started right up in -10 degree weather" with no assistance (like spraying gas in the carb, and hooking the battery up to a car or something else to give it a charge) there is something dishonest going on. If I had a buddy come up to me and ask me what I thought he should do with the same story as yours I would tell him to run not walk away from that deal.

There are many other 650L's out there, and we will be here to help you when you find one worth buying.

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #13572
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkop
hard starting

1994xrl ~3000 miles

When it's that cold my bike is always a bear to start. In the summer time it starts up with no problems. In the winter time I have to fight with it to get it going. You should be able to get it to turn over more than a few times though, and try to rev it a little to get the motor moving. A little, not a lot. It's been cold here too and I only ride my XRL to work on days that end in Y so can guess how much my neighbors like me at 5am when I go to work. I miss my pig right now though, floating out here off the coast ov Va on a big gray boat. Could be worse though.

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #13573
71olds
Motorholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999
Slide opens quicker, and just as important, closes quicker. when i did my, 55/158, I didn't drill mine,,,,,,forgot too at times on pavement 3/4 too wide open 5th gear going up a long hill, 1/2 the time at the crest of said hills when letting off the gas fast it would let out one 12 gauge shot gun burp,,,,, knowing a 3 foot flame out the tail pipe was with it,,,,,,,, took the carb off drilled the slide, never did it again.

Ok i am in idiot I am in the process of replacing the needle retaining clip but it looks to be blocking most of the holes I just drilled
I fogot to look at how it looked before I took it apart.
Is this correct??
00 Suzuki DRZ400S
Old 02-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #13574
vanpelt999
08 xr650l

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71olds
Ok i am in idiot I am in the process of replacing the needle retaining clip but it looks to be blocking most of the holes I just drilled
I fogot to look at how it looked before I took it apart.
Is this correct??
part of the reason to drill, its OK

If your ever caught traveling back in time,,,and meet someone traveling forward in time,,, it's best not to make eye contact,,,, just saying...
vanpelt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #13575
71olds
Motorholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999
part of the reason to drill, its OK
Thanks all done

Only part Holding be up is a new stator cover gasket.
Once I get that installed It should start (in theory )

Here she is Now 90% back togeather.

& My wife made me this sticker

00 Suzuki DRZ400S