Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #1351
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shair_Khan
Pardon my ignorance... Where exactly is the needle valve located? How big a task is it to replace it? Do you have to take the carb apart?

What could cause the needle valve to go bad. This bike is a 2006 with only 1000 miles. Can one tell from looking at the needle valve if it really is bad?
It's inside the carb. One end hooks to the float and the other end seals off the incoming gasoline. You have to pull the carb to get at it, which is a pain. It is theoretically possible to do it with the carb still in the bike, but ... good luck...

If you bike is new, maybe there is just a little dirt in the carb that keeps this from seating correctly. You could pull the carb and clean it. It's a pain, but it's easier by the fourth time you remove the carb. Maybe someone else has a better or easier suggestion...
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #1352
oprahrider
Pissed Off Primates Racin

Oddometer: 185
Well I'll be damned!...That bitch really does have everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Gunner

oprahrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #1353
oprahrider
Pissed Off Primates Racin

Oddometer: 185
Sweet looking Norton you have there.....Commando?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texwerks
Has anyone ever run through the hoops to get a offroad bike titled in Texas?.
Before I get a Baja Designs street conversion I want to be sure it can be done. Any help would be appreciated!
Sweeeet looking bike...........can you do jumps on it?
oprahrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #1354
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42

If you bike is new, maybe there is just a little dirt in the carb that keeps this from seating correctly. You could pull the carb and clean it. It's a pain, but it's easier by the fourth time you remove the carb. Maybe someone else has a better or easier suggestion...
Try shutting the petcock, opening the float bowl drain, drain all the fuel, open the petcock and flush a couple ounces of gas through. If there is a small piece o crap in the needle/seat sometimes this will flush it out. Good Luck

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #1355
honcho
Barley Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
anybody else get a front end wobble at about 65-70 mph? i;ve noticed it the last few times i've ridden, and probably not before because i never really got it up that fast until recently. my bike has only 3600 mile on it... i picked it up a couple months ago with about 2900 miles (2 yrs old). i removed the smog stuff and made some other typical mods. i've also noticed that it uses oil. it seems to run at about 275 according to the dipstick/temp gauge, occasionally getting up to 300 after a long trail, and i usually take a break at that point so it can cool. i let my buddy ride it and noticed smoke when engine braking starts, he's noticed it when following me. rings? seems unlikely after only 3600 miles, but it does run on the hot side. i'm planning to give it a bath, an oil change a valve adjustment and oil filter cleaning tomorrow. i don't think the valves have ever been done, but don't think that would contribute to oil usage. ? any help?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Old 08-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #1356
Shair_Khan
Getting back in the game!

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknTroll
Try shutting the petcock, opening the float bowl drain, drain all the fuel, open the petcock and flush a couple ounces of gas through. If there is a small piece o crap in the needle/seat sometimes this will flush it out. Good Luck
I have drained it once, but I will try again with more quantity of fuel through it.

Thanks.

--
Sincerely,
Shair
Shair_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #1357
Ceej
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by honcho
anybody else get a front end wobble at about 65-70 mph? i;ve noticed it the last few times i've ridden, and probably not before because i never really got it up that fast until recently. my bike has only 3600 mile on it... i picked it up a couple months ago with about 2900 miles (2 yrs old). i removed the smog stuff and made some other typical mods. i've also noticed that it uses oil. it seems to run at about 275 according to the dipstick/temp gauge, occasionally getting up to 300 after a long trail, and i usually take a break at that point so it can cool. i let my buddy ride it and noticed smoke when engine braking starts, he's noticed it when following me. rings? seems unlikely after only 3600 miles, but it does run on the hot side. i'm planning to give it a bath, an oil change a valve adjustment and oil filter cleaning tomorrow. i don't think the valves have ever been done, but don't think that would contribute to oil usage. ? any help?
I wouldn't really say mine has a 'wobble.' It doesnt exactly feel planted above 65, but I wouldn't really expect a light bike with knobbies to feel good going that fast.
Ceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #1358
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapGuy
I went for a ride on my 1983 XL600R after adding my dipstick temp gauge and mine hits about 250-275 with a bit of city riding in 80 degree weather.

About that wobble? maybe your front wheel is out of balance, or isn't perfectly round? I have 2 front wheels (dirt tire / street tire) and either one is good to about 100 mph before I get wobbly.
I concur. Most mine ever got to was about 300 in city traffic in heat.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:11 PM   #1359
Whitebone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by honcho
anybody else get a front end wobble at about 65-70 mph?
You shouldn't have a wobble. I had wobble on my bike too when I first bought her used. Easy checks first.
1- Check your air pressure ( I run about 19 in the front)
2- Loosen everything up front and reset the wheel to make sure it is on straight or your forks aren't slightly twisted in the clamps.
3- tape a pen or something to your fork and make sure you wheel is true. If not re-true it or have the shop do it.
4. you may need to get the wheels rebalanced at the shop.

Mine needed to be rebalanced and I was running way to much air pressure.
Whitebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:01 AM   #1360
showtime45
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Shair, Try pulling the fuel line off & squirt some carb cleaner down the fuel line with the bowl drain screw open to hopefully flush the needle valve. When you put the line back on let some fuel run through the carb with the screw still open for a second or two. Might help.
showtime45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #1361
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,676
Valves that need to be tightened may allow a little smoke on decel, However it sounds like the valve guides may be worn...Very unlikely with that many miles...Is the smoke black, blue or white?
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:54 PM   #1362
Shair_Khan
Getting back in the game!

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime45
Shair, Try pulling the fuel line off & squirt some carb cleaner down the fuel line with the bowl drain screw open to hopefully flush the needle valve. When you put the line back on let some fuel run through the carb with the screw still open for a second or two. Might help.
This sounds like a great idea. I will try it as soon as I get a chance. I sure hope it works.

Thank you.

--
Sincerely,
Shair A. Khan
Shair_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:21 AM   #1363
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,433
so regarding the fuel leak, are we talking about the needle for the drain valve on the bottom of the bowl? Sounds like maybe this is shot (as the other guy said)...you really can't tighten very much without hurting something. And I'm not a big fan of using carb cleaner anywhere near a carb (unless it is completely stripped of any plastic or rubber parts), I've seen way more stuff screwed up by carb cleaner than fixed. If you just want to try flushing something out, WD40 would be way safer, or maybe you should just take the carb out and take it apart to see what's up...it's not that bad. Just pay attention to how it comes out or it will be tricky getting back in.

I guess you could just plug the line, using a vacuum plug etc...many bikes don't even have this feature of a drain valve. I'm assuming here you are talking the drain valve and not the overflow tube....plugging the overflow/vent tube would be bad.
motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #1364
wheelnut46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
I need a new tail bag. Mine is getting all brown and sticky on the outside. I know I could get a stock replacement type on Ebay but I was wondering if anyone here has a better replacement.
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:48 AM   #1365
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,464
Moose makes a nice one, I have one on my XR600 and am very happy with it.

TAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote