User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #1456
largebore
Crystalriver Florida

Oddometer: 12
Thumb new to adv w/ pic of XRL

here is a pic of my 2004 XRL after a few mods. good seeing all the other xr's. not sure witch forum i should use to introduce my self. im a newbie

largebore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #1457
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeDub
Yeah, I was keeping it in the living room until my insurance came through, haha! The other bike is pretty nice too, for having fun and shedding pounds!

Ordered the Baja Designs drop down taillight/license holder, Maier MX rear fender, and IMS smog block off kit, all should get here this week!
One quick power booster is to get rid of the stock exhaust and put an aftermarket slip-on exhaust, replace stock filter with high flow air filter, and desnorkle the air flow thingy under the seat....theses make a big difference in power. Finally, an even more noticeable boost is the infamous "Dave's XR650L carb mods" talked bout in this and other forums like Thumper Talk.

Good luck...have fun riding you BRP!

AtomicXRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #1458
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Nice bike and pipe! Did you do Dave's Mods yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by largebore
here is a pic of my 2004 XRL after a few mods. good seeing all the other xr's. not sure witch forum i should use to introduce my self. im a newbie

Old 10-15-2007, 09:01 PM   #1459
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Laugh Mikuni and "Dave's Mods"

I've done Dave's Mods, very easy to do, but can't report a "significant" increase in performance. No second gear wheelies here. Better running and throttle response, but, in cool temps the bike is a bitch to start. Close to freezing on a trip I had to get a tow start by a DR650...Now if that ain't embarassing...

Looking at the Mikuni and have read old reports that the bike performs well but nothing recent. I'm thinking about spending the money and buying the XR's Only Mikuni pumper.

WTF, it's only money. Right?

Garrett
Old 10-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #1460
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett
I've done Dave's Mods, very easy to do, but can't report a "significant" increase in performance. No second gear wheelies here. Better running and throttle response, but, in cool temps the bike is a bitch to start. Close to freezing on a trip I had to get a tow start by a DR650...Now if that ain't embarassing...

Looking at the Mikuni and have read old reports that the bike performs well but nothing recent. I'm thinking about spending the money and buying the XR's Only Mikuni pumper.

Garrett

Garrett:

What jetting and altitude are you at? What you are saying (I am assuming you did the other mods in addtion to Dave's Mods: filter, pipe, desnorkle) is that you saw little change in power? This is somewhat surprising, as we know that the stock jetting comes lean...take a look a your plug's color...may dive a hint on why you don't see gains in power...

Geo
Old 10-16-2007, 07:09 AM   #1461
goblin
pig rider

Oddometer: 371
Quote:

Garrett
I had the same problem,bike would not start when it was cold out. I fixed that when I put an XRs only flat slide non pumper on the XRL. Its probably my number one mod that I have done.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #1462
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Mikuni

Hi Guys,

Thanks for responding. I shimmed the needle with an .024 washer, drilled the slide 5/32, UNI filter, de snorkeled, stock muffler, no smog crap. Plug looks ok. I'm at 3800 ASL and after consulting with the ThumperTalk jetting guy, Eddie Sisneros, left the jetting stock at 150 main and 50 pilot. I'm thought the Pilot might be too lean but it does get fuel with the choke on, you can smell it, but it takes a while to fire and sometimes just won't start. It's a workout for my starter and I'd sooner not burn that out constantly trying to start the thing.

As I said the mods worked to a degree, but I didn't see the gains that have been reported. It's better but only marginally, mostly in thethrottle response. After reading reports from others on starting in the cold, and the adjustability the Mikuni has I thought I'd try that.

Goblin you seem to like yours and I've heard others say the cold start problem is history after the new carb is added.

Goblin, is the carb you have the same as the unit offered on the XRsOnly site?

Thanks

Garrett
Old 10-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #1463
largebore
Crystalriver Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer
Nice bike and pipe! Did you do Dave's Mods yet?

yes i have done all the mods, except jetting. i ride in FL so its very close to sea level. hve not decided what jets to use yet. motor runs great except for dead spot on hard exceleration.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #1464
largebore
Crystalriver Florida

nice rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsteel_6@hotmail.
[IMG][/IMG]
Uncorked, Desmogged, Dave's Carb Mods, Skid Plated, Regeared 48/14, Avon Gripster Tires f/r, UNI airfilter, Rear Rack and Bags, Stainless Rear Rotor Guard, Headlight Guard, Front Fender Drilled and Bobbed, Shrouds removed, XROnly Oil Temp gauge, and the fun has just begun.
were did you get the rear rack?

Old 10-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #1465
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
At the top of Buck Rock 4x4 trail this summer. This is by far the best 650 dual sport....
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #1466
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
All done with all the mods and ready to go anywhere.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #1467
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,439
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for responding. I shimmed the needle with an .024 washer, drilled the slide 5/32, UNI filter, de snorkeled, stock muffler, no smog crap. Plug looks ok. I'm at 3800 ASL and after consulting with the ThumperTalk jetting guy, Eddie Sisneros, left the jetting stock at 150 main and 50 pilot. I'm thought the Pilot might be too lean but it does get fuel with the choke on, you can smell it, but it takes a while to fire and sometimes just won't start. It's a workout for my starter and I'd sooner not burn that out constantly trying to start the thing.

As I said the mods worked to a degree, but I didn't see the gains that have been reported. It's better but only marginally, mostly in thethrottle response. After reading reports from others on starting in the cold, and the adjustability the Mikuni has I thought I'd try that.

Goblin you seem to like yours and I've heard others say the cold start problem is history after the new carb is added.

Goblin, is the carb you have the same as the unit offered on the XRsOnly site?

Thanks

Garrett
you don't need a different carb. An XRL in good shape, tuned properly should start very easilly with the stock carb, other than the commonly discussed issue the ocurrs after sitting for extended periods of time.

Your jetting would be lean definitely for aftermarket muffler, maybe is ok for stock muffler. If it doesn't start well, make sure compression is good, fuel is fresh, valve lash correct, if all that seems good then try a richer pilot jet.
motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #1468
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. Fuel always fresh as I ride regularly. Doing a leakdown check in a day or two to see if the internals are proper. Valve clearance should be fine, checked about a month ago but will do it again when I do the leakdown test. I've got a couple of richer jets coming, both Pilot and Main, so we'll see if that wakes it up at all.

Garrett
Old 10-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #1469
rattlecan
Caffeine Driven

Oddometer: 1,471
checkin in

Newbie to XR's check in. '99 with 6K, farkled with help of WinterHK, including heated grips, clock and thermometer.

Name:  100_1162 (Small).jpg
Views: 667
Size:  75.1 KB
rattlecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:28 AM   #1470
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off
At the top of Buck Rock 4x4 trail this summer. This is by far the best 650 dual sport....
Now that's my kind of hill!

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote