Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #14911
vanpelt999
08 xr650l

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999
you mean these

Theres already been several all over the country and even 1 sent to Israel.

All having good results no issues, will shortly be putting one on a 720 big bore kit xr, there is one that hadden reported in yet,,,,,,,, Wattner has been busy. pops has put me on hold on his,,,,,,, you know hes got to have something to put it on first.

pm me and i will send you some contact info.
like these

If your ever caught traveling back in time,,,and meet someone traveling forward in time,,, it's best not to make eye contact,,,, just saying...
vanpelt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #14912
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999
you mean these

Theres already been several all over the country and even 1 sent to Israel.
All having good results no issues, will shortly be putting one on a 720 big bore kit xr, there is one that hadden reported in yet,,,,,,,, Wattner has been busy. pops has put me on hold on his,,,,,,, you know hes got to have something to put it on first.
pm me and i will send you some contact info.
YO Bbasso, Thats the one I was talking about. Looks pretty rugged.
Say Vanpelt999, what is the heat drop across your cooler?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #14913
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,213
Couldn't wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin injin
I recently got a Hero camera and tested it the other day in some local woods.....

Sorry Screamin Injin

So I rolled over to the spot where this video was shot and I had some fun today. I could only ride for a little while since the weather has been threatening to rain since about 4pm and it was about 530 when I got there.

Anyway, it's been a while since I got to hit some trails on the bike and I went and violated my #1 rule of crossing "puddles" which is ALWAYS know how deep it is. Well... I blasted through the first puddle, romped through the second and, uh, totally biffed the third. This might sound dumb but after the crap of a day I had at work, pulling my bike out of a mud hole was just what I needed. I did learn a few things though:

1. Danny's oil cooler works even better when submerged in water.
2. Mefo tires are no good for traction but great for sliding when riding on mud covered in dry leaves, or wet logs.
3. When spinning your rear tire in a mud/leaf bog pay CLOSE attention to where your right foot is because it may slip closer than you think to that tire you are trying to get to grab...
4. Fastway handguards work great against small trees and such
5. It's possible to push/rev your bike through thorns thick enough to pull your your foot/leg right off your bike.
6. Mike's center stand works great in the mud
7. There are very few legal ways to have as much fun as riding a bike in the mud even if you've gotta pull your bike out of a water hole.

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #14914
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,505
We must have just missed each other. There were a couple of people with dogs out today, one lady seemed a little pissed that I was riding though, but oh well. I was out there till about 530. I also need a new tire, slippin and sliddin
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #14915
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
Sorry Screamin Injin

So I rolled over to the spot where this video was shot and I had some fun today. I could only ride for a little while since the weather has been threatening to rain since about 4pm and it was about 530 when I got there.

Anyway, it's been a while since I got to hit some trails on the bike and I went and violated my #1 rule of crossing "puddles" which is ALWAYS know how deep it is. Well... I blasted through the first puddle, romped through the second and, uh, totally biffed the third. This might sound dumb but after the crap of a day I had at work, pulling my bike out of a mud hole was just what I needed. I did learn a few things though:

1. Danny's oil cooler works even better when submerged in water.
2. Mefo tires are no good for traction but great for sliding when riding on mud covered in dry leaves, or wet logs.
3. When spinning your rear tire in a mud/leaf bog pay CLOSE attention to where your right foot is because it may slip closer than you think to that tire you are trying to get to grab...
4. Fastway handguards work great against small trees and such
5. It's possible to push/rev your bike through thorns thick enough to pull your your foot/leg right off your bike.
6. Mike's center stand works great in the mud
7. There are very few legal ways to have as much fun as riding a bike in the mud even if you've gotta pull your bike out of a water hole.

-Barron

Sounds like you had fun,,i got mine stuck in a bog last year,took me about an hour to get it out..........when i finally did i was worn right out,,fun as hell

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #14916
vanpelt999
08 xr650l

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc

What I,m going to say is based on last summer here in arkansas 100+ or damn close to it temps.

First I got to say if you take the xr out on the freeway and hold it wide open you will overwelm any cooler and cook the motor, without a cooler pretty damn quick, with a cooler you will delay it.
The fin or jag jag type or automovtive trans cooler needs alot of air moving though it to work, mine works more like a heat sink, still needs air but will continue to tranfer heat out in the tight single track runs.

before and after results, again hotest part of the summer

freeway run 20 miles at 70-75 before at about 15mile mark sitting on the side of freeway looking at a temp gauge at 300degrees thinking damn,,,,,letting it cool off for 30 min and continue on 5miles later and exit freeway at 275deg riding on 8 miles 2 lane black top 55-60 mph and it stayed there at 275 till i stopped. after cooler same run exit freeway at 240degree after the same 20 mile run and cooled from 240 to 220 in the 8 miles 55-60 mph

next was mine bike with the cooler and a buddy of mine on the same bike both 08 xr650l and the same mods. running none stop 2 lane black top back roads 30 miles out, speeds of 60-65mph a few shots of 80+ to see who was going to beat who too the top of the hill, you know just out having a little freindly fun, stop after the 30 miles, soda pop stop, mine was 225deg. his 265deg.

next, sameday hit the trails real tight single track stuff, 1st and 2nd gear 15 miles, stop for a slug of water, mine was 220, my buddy was 280.

That was all it took for him the next night we were at the shop making his, he had told me he was not riding again till we got one on his.

If anybody wants to talk to me about this, PM me and i will give you my contact info, before warned i like to talk about our bikes.

If your ever caught traveling back in time,,,and meet someone traveling forward in time,,, it's best not to make eye contact,,,, just saying...
vanpelt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #14917
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,878
Quote:
I figured that was the one.
I'd rather not have a cooler, any cooler that low.
I like to use the skid plate for climbing over fallen trees and bouncing over huge rocks
The oil cooler that was vertically mounted with the little air scoop has my interest....
thanks for thinking of me
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #14918
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Transferring...

So ive been transferring everything over for the past two days. The 02 is at about 60% - 70% untill she is bare minimum rideable. She is at about 50% - 60% ready for the trip. I have to take everything off the 06 and then put stock stuff back on, then put the good stuff onto the 02. I still want the 06 to be movable in case my Dad needs to move her, although she wont be movable under her own power.
Yay Yay Yay, I leave in 23 days.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #14919
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
I've always heard that you shouldn't listen to what the salesman says because he's just trying to make a sale, but let me tell you this cooler is awesome and Danny is a stand up guy that knows LOTS about the oil system in an XR650L! It's easy to put on, comes with directions and you can easily reconfigure to take your system back to stock. I ride almost every day and this cooler made a huge difference in my temps on the highway, around town and on trails. If/when you ride in the rain you will really see how much heat it can get rid of when it's air/water cooled.

And in case you are wondering- No, Danny didn't pay or ask me to post that. As a matter of fact he told me to ride with it for a while check my temps and post what I saw. XR's should have come with something like this from the factory. If you are going to get a cooler, get his and if you have any questions about it feel free to PM me.

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #14920
71olds
Motorholic

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave
So ive been transferring everything over for the past two days. The 02 is at about 60% - 70% untill she is bare minimum rideable. She is at about 50% - 60% ready for the trip. I have to take everything off the 06 and then put stock stuff back on, then put the good stuff onto the 02. I still want the 06 to be movable in case my Dad needs to move her, although she wont be movable under her own power.
Yay Yay Yay, I leave in 23 days.

OK I am out of the loop why the transfer what happened to the 06 to move it over?

Pics of the progress?
00 Suzuki DRZ400S
71olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #14921
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Alright, more oil issue arguing! I love this stuff.
No, I didn't say that.
What I am saying is I don't think you really need an oil cooler.
And I don't think Honda pulled the 10w-40 oil recomendation out of thier ass.
Dose anybody know how many XRLs have been sold? I could not find a number but I'll bet its a big number. And only a small percentage of those motors have been fitted with oil coolers. And I'll bet Honda has tested the motor all over the world, maybe millions of miles, in every climate there is, in every application that motor goes in, over many years of production, and thats why they recomend 10W-40.
But I could be wrong. The way to learn if you need an oil cooler is to have your used oil tested. If a high percentage of acid is present then the oil is not up to the task.
Is an oil cooler a bad thing, yes and no, if the cooler gets the oil too cool it will be thick and require more HP to move through the motor, as you know. It becomes a dog chasing it's tail, the cold oil runs hotter because it's thicker, so you need a cooler. The cooler and additional oil is extra weight and if the cooler is not needed it is just extra baggage sapping even more HP.
It seems much simplier to just run a good quality minimum recomended viscosity oil and put the spare change in your 401K.
Hey, and get this, The NX model, obviously designed to spend more time on the road more than the XRL, dosen't have an oil cooler.
I didn't think these bikes needed a cooler either until I broke a valve seat last June. Now I think they need some form of additional cooling. For now I have added a big fin head, and it seems to be doing the job. But I haven't seen any really hot days since I got the bike back together and broken in. If I see regular oil temps of of 250 or higher, when the hot weather gets here, I will add a oil cooler also.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #14922
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave

Also can i run a tube in any tubeless tire, or does it have to be made for a tube?
Yes you can run a tube in a tubeless tire.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 AM   #14923
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71olds
OK I am out of the loop why the transfer what happened to the 06 to move it over?

Pics of the progress?
The '06 has 21,300 miles on it. It needs a new second gear, and has starting issues. So im moving all the farkles over to the '02, which only has 1200 miles on it, and works perfectly.

Pics soon.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #14924
jasonkop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
"can't ride 55mph" cont'd

So I got the rocker cover off (Thanks Steve!) and thought the timing looked just a bit off. After moving it a tooth I came to the conclusion that it was right to begin with. There is a tiny amount of abrasion on the top of the valve spring retainer and it's only on the right hand intake and exhaust. The left side are clean as a whistle.

So I slapped it all back together (Thanks Steve!) and started to get the valves readjusted before the wife got home and that is where it ended. I don't expect any miracles but I'm going to get the valves readjusted and then get the sparkling clean carb installed and see what happens.

One other thing, I'm not getting the decompression "click" when adjusting the valves and rotating back to TDC. I'm not really sure what I should but I don;t see anything between the timing chain sprocket and the first cam lobe which is where I think the deceompression apparatus should be. Coincidentally I can't find any mention of it in the XR650L manual.

Here are the high res pics showing the abrasion on the valve spring retainer and the camshaft.

jasonkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #14925
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkop
"can't ride 55mph" cont'd

So I got the rocker cover off (Thanks Steve!) and thought the timing looked just a bit off. After moving it a tooth I came to the conclusion that it was right to begin with. There is a tiny amount of abrasion on the top of the valve spring retainer and it's only on the right hand intake and exhaust. The left side are clean as a whistle.

So I slapped it all back together (Thanks Steve!) and started to get the valves readjusted before the wife got home and that is where it ended. I don't expect any miracles but I'm going to get the valves readjusted and then get the sparkling clean carb installed and see what happens.

One other thing, I'm not getting the decompression "click" when adjusting the valves and rotating back to TDC. I'm not really sure what I should but I don;t see anything between the timing chain sprocket and the first cam lobe which is where I think the deceompression apparatus should be. Coincidentally I can't find any mention of it in the XR650L manual.

Here are the high res pics showing the abrasion on the valve spring retainer and the camshaft.
Rotate the engine just past TDC to make sure the decomp cam falls out. Its OK the cam is round for about 35 deg. either side of TDC. Here's what the marks look like. Looking at this photo the engine rotates counterclockwise. Roll it around to to line up the mark on the case plug hole to the area where the "T" is then set the valves. This is just past TDC and the decomp cam should be "outa there".

The decompression cam acts on the throttle side exhaust valve.

The abraision on the shifter side exhaust retianer could be from assembly, non clean up in machining, or testing at the factory. Nothing to be concerned about there. To be sure check the height of the valve stems from the spring seat. If that one is taller, the valve face may be bad, but a compression check will detect a problem there.

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 03-11-2010 at 06:56 AM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote