User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 06:44 AM   #1
ChrisGS1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
oh crap

I attempted to do a rocker end float clearance adjustment (OREPAD), I found that the recommendation for torquing the T-45 screws (that hold the rocker bar in place) was 18Nm. I broke off the bottom screw. I know that http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...lve-clearances - steptoe says that it's 9Nm, not 18Nm. Unfortunately, I used the 18Nm and now i'm stuffed...does anyone know whether an 'easy-out' method can get this stub out that's broken off? And can someone confirm whether it's 18Nm, or 9Nm!?
ChrisGS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
sarhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
You might tell us what bike your talking about first.......
Old 03-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Are you sure about the torque?

Reason I ask is that the R1150 brake caliper bolts are T45 and they are 40 NM which still isn't real tight. I'm sure the valve carrier bolts should easily handle 18 NM even though they are (correctly) set at 9 NM. Did you really screw up and use a much higher torque? What about the others? Are they ok or stretched?

Easy-out will work if you can get a centered hole. That's always the hard part.

MIXR screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 10:22 PM Reason: Clarity
MIXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #4
ChrisGS1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
You might tell us what bike your talking about first.......
Sorry, I've got a 2003 R1150GS, was attempted to set the end float clearance (OREPAD - Hall of wisdom at the bottom of the page, there's a link). The T-45 Torx screws hold the rocker bar in place, which hold the rockers in place. One of these screws broke of after applying, or rather trying to apply 18Nm of torque. The OREPAD document on Hall of wisdom stated that 18Nm is the correct amount of torque... not 9Nm..
Old 03-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
ChrisGS1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIXR View Post
Reason I ask is that the R1150 brake caliper bolts are T45 and they are 40 NM which still isn't real tight. I'm sure the valve carrier bolts should easily handle 18 NM even though they are (correctly) set at 9 NM. Did you really screw up and use a much higher torque? What about the others? Are they ok or stretched?

Easy-out will work if you can get a centered hole. That's always the hard part.
Possibly the screw had a manufacturing fault or something, if it can handle 40Nm - are you sure they are the exact same type of screws? I'll have a look. Anyhow, a Hall of Wisdom document should not provide incorrect information that can lead to this, the recommended torque setting for those bolts are 9Nm, and not 18Nm. Should I have been informed that it was the former, I might not have this problem. Can someone please advise RE the OREPAD doc? It needs to be amended...
Old 03-09-2014, 03:02 AM   #6
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Different uses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGS1 View Post
Possibly the screw had a manufacturing fault or something, if it can handle 40Nm - are you sure they are the exact same type of screws? I'll have a look. Anyhow, a Hall of Wisdom document should not provide incorrect information that can lead to this, the recommended torque setting for those bolts are 9Nm, and not 18Nm. Should I have been informed that it was the former, I might not have this problem. Can someone please advise RE the OREPAD doc? It needs to be amended...
Sometimes the torque will reflect what the bolt is going in to, rather than what the bolt itself can take. Same bolt into steel, cast iron, or alloy will have three different maximum torque values. What I'm suggesting is that the bolt itself should not have failed at that low torque, or anything even approaching 4x (or more) the correct 9 NM. Perhaps it was over-torqued some time in the past and had a stress fracture as you suggest. Have a close look under a magnifier and see if it's a fresh brittle failure or an old partial failure. It should be obvious under a 10x magnifier.

I take all the hall of wisdom stuff with a cautionary view. In many cases, it's one or more people's views of how something should be done, and there can be alternate views. Great info, but 'use with caution'. Always pays to check torque against the BMW manual for the bike and decide what is right, and what is wrong, or just different. Often the original HOW thread will have additional info as people add their own experiences, or identify errors.

But, I agree that if OREPAD is showing a wrong torque value, it needs to be changed, unless there has been a BMW update that changed the value at some time later than my manual.

MIXR screwed with this post 03-09-2014 at 03:09 AM
MIXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
GroceryRun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I believe the torque setting for the T45 torx rocker shaft bolts are 18 Nm
for the 1150 engine.

If your read a little further in the ukgser thread, Paul90 pointed out that 9Nm is a little low and that 18 Nm should be the correct torgue.
GroceryRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:12 AM   #8
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
My factory manual shows (on page 103 of 311, or 11.56) the three M6x30 bolts should be torqued to 9Nm. The OREPAD, under Tips & Tricks #2, shows 18Nm.
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:59 AM   #9
ChrisGS1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So then, who's correct? I stripped one of those bolts before reaching 18Nm. If the BMW manual says it's 9Nm, it's 9Nm...where did someone pull 18Nm out of a hat? Can someone provide a source for 18Nm, besides 'hear-say'
Old 03-10-2014, 03:41 AM   #10
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,983
The M6 bolts are not the T45 bolts.

The M6 bolts usually have a 5mm allen head; they are 9 Nm and are above and between the rockers. They will break or strip before you reach 18.

The T45 bolts are M8 and located on the lower rocker support; they go to 18 Nm. If one breaks at 18, something else is wrong.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #11
ChrisGS1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
The M6 bolts are not the T45 bolts.

The M6 bolts usually have a 5mm allen head; they are 9 Nm and are above and between the rockers. They will break or strip before you reach 18.

The T45 bolts are M8 and located on the lower rocker support; they go to 18 Nm. If one breaks at 18, something else is wrong.
Not according to this: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...lve-clearances
as well as the BMW manual... Informed people I know is also saying the T-45 torx bits are 9Nm, not 18Nm.

Who write the OREPAD doc? Maybe this person should confirm whether he made a mistake or not.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #12
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,983
And didn't the author suspect he was wrong?

Have you read the BMW manual?

EDIT: I see above it wasn't the author, but rather someone else who questioned the 9Nm. Doesn't change anything. Standard torque for M8 is around 20 Nm. As for the brake caliper bolts, only for M10 is the torque is 40 Nm. For the M8 bolts it is 30 Nm.

AntonLargiader screwed with this post 03-12-2014 at 07:29 AM
AntonLargiader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #13
Mr.JAJA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
How to remove the rest stud.

Wille you find out whats right+wrong.
To remove the rest stud, I had much luck with buying left drill bits, that a normal drill bits turning counterclockwise and start drilling with this the bolt out. In most cases the drill will turn the rest out if it is not jammed in to much. good luck. (15 years Motorbike repairs)

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/H...erm=left+drill
Old 03-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #14
liviob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Now that the head removed from the bolt there is no tension on the remaining threads. You may be able to use a steel pick and turn the bolt out. If not an easy out should be able to remove it with ease.
liviob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #15
Mr.JAJA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
8mm Torx

If a 8mm Torx (12K) bolt breaks below 18Nm than something is wrong before hand. (previous over torque)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGS1 View Post
Not according to this: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...lve-clearances
as well as the BMW manual... Informed people I know is also saying the T-45 torx bits are 9Nm, not 18Nm.

Who write the OREPAD doc? Maybe this person should confirm whether he made a mistake or not.