User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
DesertTortoise OP
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 142
Ride like a pro course

I found this course during my late night search for the end of the internet.

http://www.ridelikeaproatlanta.com/Home_Page.html

Ride like a pro is a motorcycle cop style course thats apparently best known for instructional videos.

I went ahead and signed up for Saturday's course in stone mountain, GA. Will post a review afterwards.

Anybody have experience with their courses?
DesertTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
DesertTortoise OP
Freedom Fighter

Took the course today. 8 students (4x Harleys, 2x bmw gs, 1x multi strada, 1 big cruiser thing. ) good variety of skill levels and most students were 40-60 years old. Two were germans, the rest Americans.

The course is very simple, all slow speed handling and maneuver. Short discussion about the training objectives and then we started the exercises.
Training objectives: friction zone, rear brake, head and eyes. The exercises were designed to introduce each of these in sequence and then put them all together.
Exercises included a straight line as slow as possible, the slow weave, the circle (24ft then 18ft), alternate weave, 24 ft u turn, then a "cloverleaf" of 4 u turns after 90 degree right turns.

The instructor, a former motorcycle cop, could flawlessly perform each exercise well beyond the standards. He provided good feedback for students at different skill levels which resulted in each student being challenged by every exercise. (Even the slow ride is challenging if you are stopping the bike without putting a foot down)

I learned a lot about things which i thought i understood, especially the friction zone and rear brake.

An American on a German bike and a german on an American bike both dropped it during the circle exercise (it was the most difficult exercise). That being said, I also learned a better way to pick up a big bike.

improves:
a little more coaching would be good, although with only one instructor it would slow down the flow
Could have spent more time relating each exercise back to the training objectives and discussing trends before and after each exercise

Good things:
Instructor was able to do as well as teach
Course packed a lot of riding into a few hours
The exercises really are challenging if you are pushing yourself.
Good learning environment. Different than a license waiver course... nobody thinks they are too good to be there

The best thing, free to retake the course for the next 12 months. 3 of the students there were taking it for a 2nd time, free.

Also, there wasn't any mention at all about selling the ride like a pro videos or book or whatever.
Overall, it was a good class and I'm planning on going back for some free practice.

DesertTortoise screwed with this post 05-17-2014 at 04:03 PM
Old 05-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 272
I took it a few years ago when I got back into riding and thought it was an excellent investment. I'm planning to retake it on my Rocket III as a refresher, since although I understand the fundamentals, I'm still struggling a little with turning tight at low speeds.

One of the RLP courses (CA, I think), does the class on loner KZ1000P's, so you don't have to worry about dropping your nice bike, those old police Kawis can be thrashed.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
LowInSlo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Thanks for the report. I love hearing about different training courses. I love learning and time and money is tight, so I like to hear real world feedback.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
wadenelson
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 113
Seems like there's a rather simple solution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTortoise View Post
An American on a German bike and a German on an American bike both dropped it during the circle exercise
And nobody thought to have them switch bikes??? ;)

Heaven Is Where:

The French are the chefs
The Italians are the lovers
The British are the police
The Germans are the mechanics
And the Swiss make everything run on time

Hell is Where:

The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police
Old 07-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
braol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Wonder how this would compare to the MSF advanced rider course? As in would this be better? or should I just take both?
braol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
DesertTortoise OP
Freedom Fighter

The classes have different training goals. This is all slow speed bike control. More focused than the MSF course on these skills. You're going to really push the limits of your ability with the ride like a pro course. Some struggle through everything but do progress throughout the day. For example a weaker rider struggles to do the slow ride at 5mph, stronger rider is trying to come to a balanced stop and hold it as long as he can.

I've done both classes and I'd pick ride like a pro because a lot of it was new to me and I find myself using the techniques a lot while commuting in traffic.