Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Hey GS weave, you realize that C. Alan started this thread 10 years ago...right???

[/IMG]

Rip Van Winkle,

I seem to be stuck under snow,
Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 497
And surprisingly we're still teaching schools!

Lots of start-ups since then but we're still around for a reason.

JIMMY
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #18
BMW JEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
BMW Rawhyde Adventure Taining in Castaic, CA

Maybe I missed something, but there's a BMW-blessed off-road training course right off the I-5 on the gapevine that is really a good course in handling the big dual-sport bikes on just about every kind of skill set needed. A great training program, lodging, meals, rentals, you name it. Friday evening through Monday morning. Two full, hard days of well-taught, gradual step training that will definitely get you better.

Google Rawhyde BMW Adventure fore more details.

I went and learned alot. I do recommend renting one of their bikes, cause you'll definitely learn how to pick it up!

Good luck and PM me if you want to talk about it.

Curt

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” ― John Lennon
BMW JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #19
go gonzo
The Mustard of Pants

Oddometer: 192
+1 for Rawhyde in Castaic, CA.
http://www.rawhyde-offroad.com/
Best accessory I purchased!
go gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #20
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,193
I'm doing the Offroad training with JP Goy this spring... Yeah right the guy who drove the Batpot and who is doing the James Bond Stunts

http://www.jpgoy.com

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #21
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Rawhyde?

Could somebody explain to me how Rawhyde is worth twice the cost of similar off road classes?
The east coast school is a little less and everybody else is half as much.
What do you get for the extra $500-700?
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #22
BMW JEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rawhyde

I agree Rawhyde seems pricey, but here's what you get:

- 3 nights, 2 days room and board
- a staff of about 5-6 expert riding instructors (wait till you see what they can do on a big old GSA)
- food is prepared by a gourmet chef
- open bar (as in free beer)
- all day training (and evening access to the over 100 acres), and the instructors are there with you if you want to ride or practice in the evening
- bike rental or help with setting up your bike appropriately for dirt
- small groups of riders, varies, but I'd say 2-3 instructors per 8-10 rider group
- just a really nice, friendly, helpful environment

I'm not trying to be a marketing guy for Rawhyde, and I'm sure the other programs and instructors mentioned in this thread are great also, but its the one I went to and I'm a believer after going there. Just MHO.

Castaic is less than 2 hours from Tehachapi(sp?) and probably about 2 hours from Fresno.

Hope that helps, maybe some other Rawhyde attendees can think of other things.

Curt

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” ― John Lennon
Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #23
BMW JEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

I did miss something

Geez, just realized this thread was started 10 YEARS AGO. Oh well, stil a good topic to kick around on this forum.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #24
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,340
100 THREADS all GS/GSA owners should read.

40. WHERE CAN I GO TO IMPROVE MY RIDING SKILLS?
http://www.rawhyde-offroad.com/
http://www.bmwoffroadacademy.com/

as well as...

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...spx#motorcycle

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 10:28 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #25
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Sigh.....Everything is West Coast........

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #26
go gonzo
The Mustard of Pants

Oddometer: 192
TEN YEARS AGO!?!?!
Dakrider needs some kind of "award" for rekindling this old-ass thread.
go gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #27
kimokk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Could somebody explain to me how Rawhyde is worth twice the cost of similar off road classes?
The east coast school is a little less and everybody else is half as much.
What do you get for the extra $500-700?
You can rent there training video for $1.99 instead.
IBA #49426
kimokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #28
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
So who's the killer coach in LA preferably without an insurance policy that's going to give me the real low down on a private multi day training ride(s) with camping, bike setup, navigation, control techniques. I'll put my money on his students any day...especially if I'm one of em .

Rawhide and the like = pamper group-ass for an entire weekend. Just shoot me in the head please. There's something just too 'midlife crisis" about a bunch of 50 year old noobs on BMW's trying to discover adventure that kinda reminds me of high school PE class - valuable knowledge imparted surely but equally sure there's a ton of bullshit related to lawyer and insurance company concerns. Hate that shit. I like the school that's more "shut up and ride" in style and less about pomp and babysitting. My driving coach would tell me in 10 seconds what I've heard in 100 words from group coaching.

6 years ago I started into car racing (Lotus Cup) by just getting a car and putting in the miles on trackdays. I fell in love, spent a truckload of cash, developed a few bad habits and got pretty fast. Then I took some private coaching and I kept putting in the miles. Three years later I won the class championship. Same thing the next year. All the while learning a little something and assimilating more every time I drove. Bottom line for me, it's private coaching at proper intervals and putting in the seat time. Some of the best tips I got from Skip Barber's book though, so nothing against the establishment. And there's definitely a lot of reading required. And then there are the videos - those helped too - very visual. And it's not like group lessons can hurt if you have the time and patience to cater to the lowest denominator at times (not that that wouldn't be me of course.)

Thanks for the tips!

12 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #29
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
So who's the killer coach in LA preferably without an insurance policy that's going to give me the real low down on a private multi day training ride(s) with camping, bike setup, navigation, control techniques. I'll put my money on his students any day...especially if I'm one of em .

Rawhide and the like = pamper group-ass for an entire weekend. Just shoot me in the head please. There's something just too 'midlife crisis" about a bunch of 50 year old noobs on BMW's trying to discover adventure that kinda reminds me of high school PE class - valuable knowledge imparted surely but equally sure there's a ton of bullshit related to lawyer and insurance company concerns. Hate that shit. I like the school that's more "shut up and ride" in style and less about pomp and babysitting. My driving coach would tell me in 10 seconds what I've heard in 100 words from group coaching.

6 years ago I started into car racing (Lotus Cup) by just getting a car and putting in the miles on trackdays. I fell in love, spent a truckload of cash, developed a few bad habits and got pretty fast. Then I took some private coaching and I kept putting in the miles. Three years later I won the class championship. Same thing the next year. All the while learning a little something and assimilating more every time I drove. Bottom line for me, it's private coaching at proper intervals and putting in the seat time. Some of the best tips I got from Skip Barber's book though, so nothing against the establishment. And there's definitely a lot of reading required. And then there are the videos - those helped too - very visual. And it's not like group lessons can hurt if you have the time and patience to cater to the lowest denominator at times (not that that wouldn't be me of course.)

Thanks for the tips!
Yes, I know where you are coming from. I race my 911 as well as instruct and track days/racing coaching is much better than the offerings for riding. I would recommend doing a Chris Haines Baja ride if you want hardcore riding. While it won't cover the camping/adventure aspect it will include 10-17hrs of riding a day ( read lots of seat time!) in some pretty inhospitable places. I did the full 6 day Cabo trip twice and really learned a lot. Just make sure you tell them you want to be in a more hardcore group. My first group was a bit fluffy but they made really good accommodations for me.

Cheers, James

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/

jachard screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 07:02 AM
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #30
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachard View Post
Sigh.....Everything is West Coast........
BMW Performance Academy in South Carolina.

I have been to RawHyde...Great fun, great people, great training and a wonderful time! You can get the same training in SC if you are tight on time or want to spent less money. I was at the BMW center in SC for the GS Trophy a few months ago and I am going back in May for more off-road training. It's a nice place with very skilled instructors. The appeal of RawHyde is the location, the elevation changes, the views, the trip to the Mojave Desert on Monday and the excitement of going to ride somewhere I had never been. Riding at the PC felt like everthing is manmade and artificial where at RawHyde, you are riding on hundreds of beautiful acres in the mountains with breathtaking views, steep climbs and decents and natural obstacles.
RawHyde costs more because it includes room and board with open bar (beer/wine/hard liquor) and gourmet meals! At the BMW PC, you have to get a hotel room and pay for your own meals in the cafeteria. After all expenses are paid, they are actually about the same cost!
They are all money well spent.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 07:17 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote