Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #1441
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by allumida View Post
Hi, kubiak

I am ahead of swapping my battery to the ballistic as you did. I have it already, but it's not yet installed. I have some questions now seeing your picture and text: why did you connect one battery pole with two lines? Is it the + or - side? How was the latch move done? This is an interesting idea because this will cure another weak point of this bike. I don't like to open this little box to get the seat off.

Thanks in advance for an answer, Michael
(Who spend some days in Italy for holiday )
hi michael, on my dakar there were a lot of ground wires or negative going to the battery so i used two wires rather than trying to squeeze all the grounds onto one wire. it seems to work good so far, i had it like that on the stock battery too for the last 7,000 miles.on the latch i took off my stock rack and storage compartment so i had to move the latch, i cut a small hole under the fender so i could connect the stock red plastic latch handle and it would hang through the hole slightly, then i put a key ring on the end so its easier to pull it. if you need pics let me know and i can get some for you.i hated having to go through the compartment to pop the seat too. on my bike im trying to make everything simple and clean. i even got rid of the ignition key by using a toggle switch to turn it on and off. i do have a hidden toggle too so when im parked in a bad area i flip the hidden toggle to be safer.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #1442
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
hi michael, on my dakar there were a lot of ground wires or negative going to the battery so i used two wires rather than trying to squeeze all the grounds onto one wire. it seems to work good so far, i had it like that on the stock battery too for the last 7,000 miles.on the latch i took off my stock rack and storage compartment so i had to move the latch, i cut a small hole under the fender so i could connect the stock red plastic latch handle and it would hang through the hole slightly, then i put a key ring on the end so its easier to pull it. if you need pics let me know and i can get some for you.i hated having to go through the compartment to pop the seat too. on my bike im trying to make everything simple and clean. i even got rid of the ignition key by using a toggle switch to turn it on and off. i do have a hidden toggle too so when im parked in a bad area i flip the hidden toggle to be safer.
Here is a picture of my tail end easy access toggle (that didn't sound right???) Anyway, as Kubiak stated, very easy to do. Mines been like this for about 6-7 years now with no issues. Such easy access.

You can see the red tab there with the mud

Old 06-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #1443
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 548
kubiak, I would love to hear a list of your modifications, your weight saving is beyond impressive. I had to kit my bike out for travel, bash plate, luggage, etc, etc. I more or less broke even on the weight by scrapping the exhaust and fitting an alloy straight through can and some other weight-saving mods such as ditching the front mudguard and using a high level enduro piece. Nothing in this league though but there's not much I can really take off mine.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #1444
allumida
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hi kubiak and mattomoto,

thanks for the additional eplanations and pictures. This is a good point to start the modifications. But I am still not sure about the place for the battery. I have seen in another thread a ballistic battery with an exploded cell. I do not know if this was related to a misshandling or if it is as we say in Germany a certain 'Restrisiko'. Or do you have better information? I am still in doubt to place the battery between my ass and the tank, so maybe I keep it in the battery compartment. At least as long by bike is in the warranty.
allumida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #1445
Sapper33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
My 07 Dakar. Pick it up in Jan, with 7500km, just rolled 9k this morning. Goal is to put 10k on before Jan 17th.

Sapper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #1446
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allumida View Post
Hi kubiak and mattomoto,

thanks for the additional eplanations and pictures. This is a good point to start the modifications. But I am still not sure about the place for the battery. I have seen in another thread a ballistic battery with an exploded cell. I do not know if this was related to a misshandling or if it is as we say in Germany a certain 'Restrisiko'. Or do you have better information? I am still in doubt to place the battery between my ass and the tank, so maybe I keep it in the battery compartment. At least as long by bike is in the warranty.
yea i dont know whick is safer for the battery, under the stock plastic is ok but if it explodes it could blow up in my face. but under the seat i think my butt is a bit tougher and can take the impact better lol! for warranty i would leave it in the stock place i would think.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #1447
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
kubiak, I would love to hear a list of your modifications, your weight saving is beyond impressive. I had to kit my bike out for travel, bash plate, luggage, etc, etc. I more or less broke even on the weight by scrapping the exhaust and fitting an alloy straight through can and some other weight-saving mods such as ditching the front mudguard and using a high level enduro piece. Nothing in this league though but there's not much I can really take off mine.
yea thats good you dropped weight before you bolted on the extras, if you just bolted on the new stuff your bike would probably be pretty heavy. i go through the same thing when i get a new bike it seems, first i want to add stuff and make it look and run good then i go through the strip it down for performance and simplicity. i figure i can always use a backpack if i need to carry more stuff but most of my rides are quick rides up to the foothills for trails and running with the sportbikes in the curves. most of the weight came off with the exhaust,headlight,dash,battery,crash gaurds and yz forks conversion. the rest i have been taking off a quarter pound here and a half pound there on modifying brackets and shaving off unused brackets too.it all adds up little by little. my latest weight is just under 350lbs with no fuel. i would like to shoot for the weight of a x challenge but thats asking for a bit too much i think. if there is a certain mod you want to see let me know and i can take pics for you. thanks for the compliments!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #1448
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

heres a pic of the seat latch from the top view. very simple mod.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #1449
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 548
I think at the weight you're talking about there's not much between us. I don't have the challenge, I have the country. I have a mate sitting on the fence about getting a bike for some ADV riding. He tried my mates Dakar and said it was good but too heavy. He jumped on mine and was blown away by the weight difference. So yeah, it's noticeable but if you've saved that much then I think you're good. Personally, I like a bash plate. I have a big fat alloy slab of meat between my beloved and the rocks below.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #1450
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
I think at the weight you're talking about there's not much between us. I don't have the challenge, I have the country. I have a mate sitting on the fence about getting a bike for some ADV riding. He tried my mates Dakar and said it was good but too heavy. He jumped on mine and was blown away by the weight difference. So yeah, it's noticeable but if you've saved that much then I think you're good. Personally, I like a bash plate. I have a big fat alloy slab of meat between my beloved and the rocks below.
yea i can really feel the difference between a stock dakar and mine now. it feels like 100lbs lighter than my buddies f650gs but he has some bolt ons which makes it heavier too. all three models are great bikes!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #1451
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Sycl Batt under seat

Kubiak did you cut the metal piece where you fit the batt.
Can you pls post a pic side view with the seat on.
Thanks. Any other input is appreciate. Thanks
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #1452
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by isgila View Post
yea i cut the cross brace in there to fit the battery, you need a side shot of the bike with the seat on or off? im thinking off but not sure. thanks!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #1453
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
yea i cut the cross brace in there to fit the battery, you need a side shot of the bike with the seat on or off? im thinking off but not sure. thanks!
With the seat on pls. When i stuff rags under my OEM seat it will bulge out.
Do not to pinch any wires at the terminals.
Spark+fuel vapour=seato ejecto...
Thanks
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #1454
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
With the seat on pls. When i stuff rags under my OEM seat it will bulge out.
Do not to pinch any wires at the terminals.
Spark+fuel vapour=seato ejecto...
Thanks
ok i will get some for you
Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #1455
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
heres a side view of the seat on.