Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
ImaPoser OP
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,414
Wink Mount Me!!

Ok. Thanks to having the bestest wife in the world, I've got me a new 2610 to mount on the strom.
PO had a SPIII mounted on the shelf with velcro, but I don't think that will work for the 2610. If I clean the base off and use the sticky tape, will it be good enough to hold it there, or do I need something better?

Also, being lazy and all, who's got the best price for a bigger memory card, thinking the 1gig should be more than enough.

Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: DeAGMxYPTdjUA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I've tried to talk myself into appreciating winter for what it is: a brutally cold, bleak, dark, crippling, depressing, boring, endless hole in the calendar.
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 70,416
Compact Flash prices just took another drop. You can find good prices here. I just bought a 4GB card from them. They're reputable.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Compact Flash prices just took another drop. You can find good prices here. I just bought a 4GB card from them. They're reputable.
Why the big price difference between the Lexar and SanDisk CF cards?

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
ImaPoser OP
adventure imposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman

Yeah. What he said.

Quote:
I've tried to talk myself into appreciating winter for what it is: a brutally cold, bleak, dark, crippling, depressing, boring, endless hole in the calendar.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
GearedForACure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Lexar and Sandisk both make comparable cards, check the speeds of the cards your are comparing. Any old card should work fine in the 2610, but I would reccomend buying a reputable brand (sandisk and Lexar are the first two to come to mind, PNY and Viking are maybe a bit cheaper, but crap out easier).

Best Buy has a Sandisk 1GB for $60 AR right now. If you have some time to buy, watch the site slickdeals.net (click on their forums link at the top of the page and go to "hot deals"). They find sales and match them up with rebates to make mega-deals.

Slickdeals.net had a 2.0GB (I think sandisk extreme III (fast)) for dirt cheap I think around $100 last week. These deals die fast though as slickdeals and similar site fatwallet.com are watched religiously by many.

Good Luck!
GearedForACure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #6
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 26,885
Get a 2gig card. All the US, Canada, and PR will fit.

With a 1g card, you'll be worried about the half of the U.S. you didn't load. I personally lay awake at nights....
Old 02-09-2006, 02:41 AM   #7
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 34,968
Here is the post I've been trying to put on your thread for a while:

I have both and did some "unofficial" and completely unscientific time trials moving about 900MB of pictures back and forth on both. The GPS doesn't need a performance card, let your wallet be your guide. I doubt if my camera would read or write any faster as well, but for dumping and moving a bunch of data from PC to PC via USB 2.0 card readers, My Lexar 80X takes write operations 3-4 times faster than my generic sandisk.

OBTW, Generic SANDISK is what is in my 2610.

As for the mount, both the Garmin and RAM mounts attach from the back.

You could bend a piece of sheet aluminum somewhere around 110 degrees or so and attach it to your shelf and to the back of either of the mounts. I would NOT use the Garmin automotive mounting system on a bike. I use it for my V1, which is much lighter with no problem, but I wouldn't trust that kind of money to the locking/swivel Garmin mount. Use one of the motorcycle mounts with a home made L bracket attached to you shelf and you will never loose it.

Here is a good link on the Garmin mount, you can see where the mounting holes are and what you would need to do for the bracket to adapt it to your shelf. Linky

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:59 AM   #8
ImaPoser OP
adventure imposter

thanks guys.

Quote:
Old 02-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 951
Hardwire kit?

I'm facing an essentially identical issue mounting my 2720 on a dash shelf on my Strom. I don't like the look of the automotive swivel mount -- the plastic is pretty flimsy, and even if I bolt the mount to the shelf, I can easily see fatigue cracks forming around the bolt holes if it's regularly subjected to vibration with the GPS mounted. The one thing I do like about the swivel mount is that it's pretty low-profile when the GPS isn't present.

Ideally, I'd like the mount to have hardwired contacts for the power, so that once I placed the receiver in the cradle, it was already connected and and powered. I'd rather not have a loose cable end flopping around when I'm not using the GPS, and I hate futzing around with cables any more than I have to.

Are there any mounts out there like this? Touratech's locking mount for these Garmins has a powercord holder for when the GPS isn't present, but it's pretty expensive, especially for still not being quite what I'd like. And the photos I've found of the Touratech aren't good enough enough to tell how well it'll work mounted on the shelf -- the key seems to be in just the right location to interfere with the windshield.

I don't understand why Garmin didn't design the thing to latch into a powered cradle/mount from the get-go. Much easier for the driver to sit down in the car and pop the GPS into the mount one-handed, that way.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
ImaPoser OP
adventure imposter

I bought the generic ram cradle for $10 or so, and am going to take Phils advice and fab up a bracket out of alum. and mount it to it. I'll take pics when I'm done.

Quote:
Old 02-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #11
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,056
Lot's of mounting gear here, two pages worth:

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/advan...ort=2a&&page=1
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:13 AM   #12
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 70,416
Quote:
First, make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Check the speed rating of the two cards you're comparing. That has a substantial impact on price. Lexar's fastest is 80x, Sandisk's is called Ultra III. I believe the reason prices are dropping is because a newer, faster generation of CF cards is coming out. I don't reckon you need fast write speed for for GPS, but I don't know.

Second, Lexar chronically overprices their product. They brag about their quality and try to hold a position at the top end of the market. Having used a bunch of different brands, it's baloney. Sandisk Ultras are every bit as top end as Lexar's expensive stuff.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:21 AM   #13
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
First, make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Check the speed rating of the two cards you're comparing. That has a substantial impact on price. Lexar's fastest is 80x, Sandisk's is called Ultra III. I believe the reason prices are dropping is because a newer, faster generation of CF cards is coming out. I don't reckon you need fast write speed for for GPS, but I don't know.

Second, Lexar chronically overprices their product. They brag about their quality and try to hold a position at the top end of the market. Having used a bunch of different brands, it's baloney. Sandisk Ultras are every bit as top end as Lexar's expensive stuff.
Damn, Waxy and I agree

Lexar used to be an arm of IBM (IIRC). Big Blue thinks all their stuff is worth the price.

Sandisk is usually available at Costco too but they rotate depending on what the buyer can get cheaper.

My 2 cents

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #14
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Lot's of mounting gear here, two pages worth:

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/advan...ort=2a&&page=1
Thanks for the link. I'm probably going to go with the RAM cradle and mount; I hadn't paid much attention to the RAM stuff before because most of the RAM mounts on moto-sites are handlebar mounts. Until I checked out the above, I didn't realize they had widgets for mounting on a flat surface. Incidentally, the RAM site has really nice, detailed drawings of most components.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
ADVkitty
bike-ified!

Oddometer: 108
Get the same brand as the OEM

Quote:
Figured I'd mention that a friend with a 2610 had a lot of problems with his 1 Gig memory card. The card itself was fine, but it had a poor connection with the GPS unit which caused read errors. He suspects the problem was caused by using a brand of card that was not the same as the OEM it came with.
ADVkitty is offline   Reply With Quote