ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
Quetzal OP
Guatemalan Import

Oddometer: 461
Question How do I open a GPX file????

I see that some of you guys are posting gpx files with waypoints for Garmin GPS's, but after dowloading them I haven't been able to open them with my Garmin software.

I'm no geek here, so bear with me, I'm all

BMW R1200GS
BMW R1100S

Visit www.motoaventuras.net

'A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.' - Lao Tzu
Quetzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
joelwebb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
GPX files

[quote=Quetzal01]I see that some of you guys are posting gpx files with waypoints for Garmin GPS's, but after dowloading them I haven't been able to open them with my Garmin software.

I use LOC2WPT to convert .loc, .gpx or .csv files to be compatable with Garmins Mapsource. This freeware is available at the following link:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mdipol/gps/

~ Chinese Proverb
joelwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
Quetzal OP
Guatemalan Import

Oddometer: 461
Thanks

BMW R1200GS
BMW R1100S

Visit www.motoaventuras.net

'A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.' - Lao Tzu
Quetzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,233
Did it work Quetzal? My Garmin software opens GPX files with no problem. I use Mapsource 6.9.1, CityNavigator v7.
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
MakMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Worked right from Mapsource

All I had to do when I clicked on Open was change the file type from the default type to the GPX extension. The file opened straight up.

Not that I'll be driving from Knoxville, TN to Daytona any time soon but now I know I can grab GPX files if I want to.

2006 BMW R1200GS For Sale!!!
2005 BMW R1200GS (RIP 10/20/2005)
2003 Yamaha VStar Classic 650 (traded)
1989 Yamaha Virago 1100 (sold long time ago)
19?? Kawasaki 454 LTD (long, long gone)
MakMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:51 AM   #6
Kieth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
GDB file conversion to Lowrance ??

I have found a lot of conversion software but none that would converts these gdb files to the correct ones for my Baja 480C ?? any suggestions??
Kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
ted.reinhard
n00b

Oddometer: 2
A great way to visualize gpx tracks (even in 3D!) is this online service:
http://www.maplorer.com/view_gpx_3D.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzal View Post
I see that some of you guys are posting gpx files with waypoints for Garmin GPS's, but after dowloading them I haven't been able to open them with my Garmin software.

I'm no geek here, so bear with me, I'm all
ted.reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth View Post
I have found a lot of conversion software but none that would converts these gdb files to the correct ones for my Baja 480C ?? any suggestions??
If GPSBabel can't do it, then it probably can't be done. If that's the case, you might want to seek out something that will convert gdb to GPX and then GPX to your GPS' native format.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
As a general comment, all .gpx files are not created equal. The .gpx standard is apparently not as standard as many would hope. We have found, for example, that not all shapefiles converted to .gpx can be opened by MapSource - they just fail. But if you use something like DNR Garmin to load the troublesome shapefile into the GPS as a .gpx file, then download that same .gpx file that MapSource wouldn't open standalone into MapSource... then MapSource sees it fine and can work with it.

It often has to do with headers and extraneous characters. But the bottom line is that not all .gpx files are created equal. Some won't open and it isn't because you're doing anything wrong.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:29 AM   #10
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

If you or the original poster can identify the differences (or send an example of a file that doesn't open), I'd be happy to write an app/script to massage the XML output in such a way that it'd be compatible with MapSource.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
If you or the original poster can identify the differences (or send an example of a file that doesn't open), I'd be happy to write an app/script to massage the XML output in such a way that it'd be compatible with MapSource.
I'm away from home right now so I'll have to remember to come back to this when I return. I'll drop you a PM.

I don't think I have any of the troublesome .gpx files anymore, but I think I can remember the project those shapefiles came from. Some GIS guys in the modelling and customization end of things (think: coders) were explaining where the errors were usually found that caused MapSource to choke. Their solution, if I remember correctly, involved stripping out the author and time

Jäger screwed with this post 06-23-2011 at 04:22 PM Reason: Formatting made tag names disappear
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

I work with XML almost everyday as part of my job, so it's nothing for me to write some code to remove tags/attributes/elements that are causing problems.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #13
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzal View Post
What "Garmin software"? If it is Mapsource on PC should be no problem.

You should not have to "download", just double click file, then choose "open" with Mapsource straight off the internet. If you like it then click "save as" and save it as .gdp, with name you like, in place you like.

Is your PC set to use Mapsource as default program for .gpx?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #14
ted.reinhard
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I totally agree, the formats are often different for different softwares producing the gpx files. The web site I mentioned above ( http://maplorer.com/view_gpx.html ) does a pretty good job parsing different variants.

Of course it won't catch all possibilities, either, but you should give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
As a general comment, all .gpx files are not created equal. The .gpx standard is apparently not as standard as many would hope. We have found, for example, that not all shapefiles converted to .gpx can be opened by MapSource - they just fail. But if you use something like DNR Garmin to load the troublesome shapefile into the GPS as a .gpx file, then download that same .gpx file that MapSource wouldn't open standalone into MapSource... then MapSource sees it fine and can work with it.

It often has to do with headers and extraneous characters. But the bottom line is that not all .gpx files are created equal. Some won't open and it isn't because you're doing anything wrong.
ted.reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote