Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
h2000fb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Opinions on Tires for 800XC Tiger

Now Looking for Opinions on Tires

Ok, it looks like I will be replacing my KLR with Tiger 800XC. However, they will be changing the tires for me after I send them up for the swap out. I would like to hear suggestions - Please!

Don’t like the tires that come on them as they are street tires. They may call them something else, but they are street.

The Pirelli MT90 does not come in the correct size for the rear, but I like that type of tire as it should give me better street grip than a full knobby on the road and a little better grip in the dirt than most so called adventure tires. I like the Continental TKC 80s, but would like something a little less aggressive because it would see street use, maybe more 50/50 or 60/40 if possible? However, I may be over thinking it here as I did have the Kenda 270's on the KLR and they were ok. Slid a little sometimes but not too bad.

The tires on the 800XC Tiger are: 90/90ZR21 and 150/70ZR17

This is not too bad.
Bridgestone TW152

This is Ok. Finding these for $197R & $94F
Heidenau K60 Scout

This seems Ok. Finding these for $202R, $95F
Metzeler Karoo 3

I know this is a cheaper tire, but they supposedly a good tire.
Shinko (Yokahoma) 705

How about throwing some options up here and maybe your experience with them? Have any other ideas, options or suggestions? Had any experience with any of these? What are your opinions for what I am looking at compared to the TKC's maybe?
h2000fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Doesn't it have a 21" front?

That's its most redeeming OffRoad trait.

Begs for 50/50 or MORE dirt bias.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
h2000fb OP
Adventurer

tire choices

Yes, it has a 21" front and yes, I really would like a 50/50 tire. Just not finding many choices in that range.

The TKC-80, I like, but am concerned it will not handle well on road. With the Kenda 270 in more aggressive cornering on the street sometimes experiencing a little slippage in the rear, I am hesitant to go to the TKC-80.

I know many run these on the big 1200GS. How about? Any feedback?
Old 08-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
TigerMarker
Ducati/Triumph

Oddometer: 79
I've heard nothing but good things on the TKC80 on how it handles on the road. I wouldn't worry.

But I know for a fact, the Heidenau handles the road just as good as the stock Pirellis.
'75 Norton Commando 850 (Sold)
'02 Ducati MH900e (Sold)
TigerMarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,572
Drop a PM to propforward. He has put 35000ish on his XC. He has used up several brands and is looking to put another set on soon.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
PBee

Oddometer: 8,450
Works for me.

QUORN SCHITZEL CLUB Est 2011. N
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2000fb View Post
Yes, it has a 21" front and yes, I really would like a 50/50 tire. Just not finding many choices in that range.

The TKC-80, I like, but am concerned it will not handle well on road. With the Kenda 270 in more aggressive cornering on the street sometimes experiencing a little slippage in the rear, I am hesitant to go to the TKC-80.

I know many run these on the big 1200GS. How about? Any feedback?

TKC 80's handle great on the road......and do pretty well off-road. The only problem is that you'll chew up a rear after 3-4k miles.

I also ran a TKC on the front and a Heidenau Scout on the rear. That set-up worked great. I got 9K miles on the Heidenau.
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #8
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,343
"This is not too bad.
Bridgestone TW152"

That is a tyre from the Stone Age, and for some weird reason it is still used OEM on the Suzuki DL650/1000. Dunno exactly, how it would work on another bike, but I have my doubts. (Bridgestone also has a newer design called Battlewing).
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:48 AM   #9
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Tire choice

Having 14,700 miles on the XC I'm only on my 2nd set of tires. The stock Battle Wings were great on the road where I was able to keep up with sport bikes, but lacking off pavement. At 7300 miles the front Wing was toast and the rear about 70 percent gone (never had that happen before). I have 7400 miles on the Heidenau K60's and still have 3-4 thousand left on them. They are as good as the Wings on the curves and quite a bit better on gravel and dirt. The front still lacks in sandy conditions. I'd like something with more side bite. I've read a TKC80 paired on front with a Heidenau rear works well. That or a T-63 Mich which I'm familiar with on my DR650 might do. I'm keeping the K60 on the back since it wears and bites so well, its just the front that could improve.

Midpack screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 03:53 AM
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
Works for me.

No details/ mileage/ wear patterns/ etc/ etc?
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
Works for me.

It did not work for me. At least on gravel, especially over hard pack. That wide center bar just would not hook up laterally. If you like kicking the tail out, it is perfect for that. I siped every other center lug and it made it much better.

Like most of these open ended questions, the answer is it depends. I found it OK in softer dirt terrain and good in sand or silt deep enough that the bike weight permits a good grip on the stuff and you lower tire pressure. I usually don't ride a 500 lb bike in mud, so I don't know.

It works fine on pavement, though wear is about average, 3-4,000 miles if you do a lot it.

Reasonably cheap compared to a TKC.

itsatdm screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 10:48 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,295
I liked my MCE Karoos on my T800 but the rear was worn after 1500mi and I took it off after 2500mi. My favorite combo so far has been a knobby front and a Shinko 705 rear. The knobby keeps the front planted and the Shinko gives good traction on the rear but allows some fun drifts on gravel/dirt. I only have 7300+ on the bike and recently put a full knobby set on for a trip to Colorado. But for my everyday normal riding, I'm sticking to the knobby/705 combo.
backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
I've have yet to get more than 6000 miles out of any rear tire I've tried. (Can't seem to temper the right wrist )

The
Heidenau K60 with the tkc 80 front is a good combo for off road, I ran two sets. The K60 rear tends to flatten out as the miles go up and I never felt confident in the fast twisties with the TKC80.
Now I'm on my second set of Full Bore's. The rear gets a solid 5000 mile and performs well on all surfaces except deep sand and mud. (a true knobby is really need here) The front holds the corners better than the TKC80's on the pavement and wore well to 10k miles.
The best thing about Full Bore is the price...$150 for a set!
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
h2000fb OP
Adventurer

The Full Bores look like Shinko 705's or at least from the same mold I think.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #15
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
I've have yet to get more than 6000 miles out of any rear tire I've tried. (Can't seem to temper the right wrist )

The Heidenau K60 with the tkc 80 front is a good combo for off road, I ran two sets. The K60 rear tends to flatten out as the miles go up and I never felt confident in the fast twisties with the TKC80.
Now I'm on my second set of Full Bore's. The rear gets a solid 5000 mile and performs well on all surfaces except deep sand and mud. (a true knobby is really need here) The front holds the corners better than the TKC80's on the pavement and wore well to 10k miles.
The best thing about Full Bore is the price...$150 for a set!

^^ +1 for these.

A fellow tiger owner turned me on to these and I picked up a set early on with mine and put about 3K miles on them. They look to be about 60% worn. I take them back off when doing all road work/trips and commuting. The stock 'trails work great for that, will probly try the new anakee 3 for mostly road.

The FB's are V-rated (rear) and are just fine on pavement, amazing off unless you're planning to make yours a dirtbike which I don't recommend simply because it's too heavy and when/if you drop it the parts are REALLY expensive. They are my go-to tire when the bike is going to see dirt two-track.

The K60's good and not so good reports, although I have not run them. The big turn off for me was the stiff sidewall making them either impossible or extremely difficult to dismount the rear in the field for flat repair. They are also a very hard compound to provide long life, but this can make them slippery on road, especially if it's wet. So I've heard. The solid center strip adds longevity but detracts from dirt traction. A lot of riders use them for long distance touring so they don't have to deal with tire replacement mid-trip. They are also quite expensive.

For more serious dirt a real front knobby is in order, but almost anything will work in the rear. So a FB or K60 rear with a Scorpion Rally, TKC, or T63 for the front, or change it out to a road tire for a road trip. The dual purpose rear works on and off. This is my plan for future tires - like the FB or 705 and then an appropriate front for the type of terrain/trip planned.

The bridgestones are a non-starter. The Tourance is old tech - not much better than the scrop trails that came with it. BTW, the trails are a really good road tire that grips amazing offroad with about 22-25lbs of air in them. For 90/10 or 95/5 they are hard to beat.

TKC's are the defacto 50/50 tire for the GS crowd. They work very well on road and good traction off, but the sidewalls are soft so if you air down you risk a bent front or pinch flats. The KTM 950-990 guys are forever pinch flatting them. They last less than the FB's but provide for a little more traction off.

Learn to mount, dismount, and balance your own tires so you can repair a flat in the field. With the bike on the center, the side stand will break the bead. The rear can be a real bitch.

Personally, I think the FB's fit the bike's character very well if it's gonna see some dirt roads. For a new owner it's a small investement to get you out there and get started, decide from there where you want to go. It's definitely not a KLR. You better have deep pockets if you're gonna trash it offroad.

EDIT: FB's look like 705's, similar mold - slightly larger block spacing, but are V-rated and supposedly have a slightly different (better) carcass and or rubber compound. And yes, made in the Shinko factory. Someone said an importer said they were the same tire as the 705 marketed under the new name. I looked at them side by side at a tire store they did look slightly different, so I dunno. For me the FB is the better choice. For $150 they get a LOT of raves, haven't heard anyone really pan them.

browneye screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 10:12 AM
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote