Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
MotoJedeye OP
C'mon Guy

Oddometer: 85
Ducati vs Triumph- Scrambler

Hey Riders,

In this video, I compare the Ducati against the Triumph that I tested, I also discuss what I call the "fun factor" and talk about the Scrambler "hype/craze" of 2015. Location takes place in Carmel, Pebble Beach, and Monterey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G1a...ature=youtu.be

Comments are appreciated.
MotoJedeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
thegreyman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Old 05-07-2015, 01:27 AM   #3
tangerine
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJedeye View Post
Hey Riders,

In this video, I compare the Ducati against the Triumph that I tested, I also discuss what I call the "fun factor" and talk about the Scrambler "hype/craze" of 2015. Location takes place in Carmel, Pebble Beach, and Monterey.

Very good video, but can you resume it here in a few words too? (for those who are not native speakers, its better to understand)
Old 05-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #4
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Hey Riders,

I haven't finished watching the video yet, but so far so good. I'm definitely interested in watching the rest of it and your other videos on the Scrambler...it's a possible addition to the garage at some point in the future.

By the way, you are in my backyard! I live in PG, and have recognized everything in your video. Kinda fun seeing it on youtube.

Cheers!

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
MotoJedeye OP
C'mon Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
I haven't finished watching the video yet, but so far so good. I'm definitely interested in watching the rest of it and your other videos on the Scrambler...it's a possible addition to the garage at some point in the future.

By the way, you are in my backyard! I live in PG, and have recognized everything in your video. Kinda fun seeing it on youtube.

Cheers!

Sweet man! PM if you want more details or if you wanna go for a ride.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
MotoJedeye OP
C'mon Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
Very good video, but can you resume it here in a few words too? (for those who are not native speakers, its better to understand)
Sure thing.

Ducati
Pros:
-Its lightweight and that results in a well handling bike that very is fun to ride. The lightness of the bike translates to a very effortless ride.
- The looks ( subjective) when I first saw the looks online.. I wasn't a big fan. However seeing it in person- it's spot on.

Cons:
-The size ( subjective) I'm 5'10 and the bike is a bit low to the ground. I wish it were 1 or 1.5 inches taller.

Triumph Scrambler
Pros:
- Great fit and finish.
- has the right looks

Cons:
- The engine--its a PIG ( that means slow and cumbersome). In regards to engine performance it just doesn't compete with the Ducati.

Conclusion:

Why even consider the Triumph Scrambler when you can get the Ducati Scrambler.

MotoJedeye screwed with this post 05-07-2015 at 11:06 AM
Old 05-08-2015, 05:42 AM   #7
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Sweet man! PM if you want more details or if you wanna go for a ride.
I'm out of town this weekend, but on the way out we are stopping by the Ducati dealer in Sunnyvale...found out that they are hosting a Ducati Experience day Friday through Sunday, so we are swinging by there. Hopefully we can get some seat time...maybe the Scrambler and the Hyperstrada.

But it'd be great to meet up and do some riding.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:27 PM   #8
Maxacceleration
Awol

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:

The Triumph Scrambler owner is not concerned about ultimate speed. The Triumph goes good enough.
And the Duc Scrambler will never have the cool retro looks/appeal - its just a glorified GT1000 (not a stunner looks-wise)

But the Duc will always have the lighter weight and more performance the the T Scrambler.

Its just where you are at in life.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #9
VikB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Sure thing.

Ducati
Pros:
-Its lightweight and that results in a well handling bike that very is fun to ride. The lightness of the bike translates to a very effortless ride.
- The looks ( subjective) when I first saw the looks online.. I wasn't a big fan. However seeing it in person- it's spot on.
The D Scram also has ABS which is a worthwhile upgrade and pretty much expected if you are dropping $10K on a new bike.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:40 PM   #10
MotoJedeye OP
C'mon Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
The Triumph Scrambler owner is not concerned about ultimate speed. The Triumph goes good enough.
And the Duc Scrambler will never have the cool retro looks/appeal - its just a glorified GT1000 (not a stunner looks-wise)

But the Duc will always have the lighter weight and more performance the the T Scrambler.

Different strokes for different folks. I do like the Triumphs looks ( guilty as charged). But riding it.. it wasnt for me.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,588
Quote:
Sure thing.

Ducati
Pros:

Cons:
-The size ( subjective) I'm 5'10 and the bike is a bit low to the ground. I wish it were 1 or 1.5 inches taller.

Triumph Scrambler
Pros:
- Great fit and finish.
- has the right looks

Cons:
- The engine--its a PIG ( that means slow and cumbersome). In regards to engine performance it just doesn't compete with the Ducati.

Conclusion:

Having ridden the Triumph and sat on the Ducati I'd 2nd this assessment.

I think personally find the Classic the most appealing, though not super crazy about the seat. When I sat on it at the show I thought about 1.5 - 2.0" taller would be better and maybe lower slightly more forward bars to open up the ergos a bit. It feels very small when you sit on it. For reference I'm a very average 5' 9" around 200 lbs.

That given I do think there's a good chance I'd opt for one over the Triumph and rework what's needed to get it setup for me. I love the Triumph but man..... they need to do something about that wheezy feeling engine and maybe drop some weight. I also was no fan of the high pipes in terms of actually riding the bike. They bow your right leg out a lot and made my wife's leg pretty warm.

I was close to buying the Triumph with the idea of changing to a low 2:1 pipe and dumping some $$$ into waking up the engine.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #12
BobcatSig
Dirt Road Gaper

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post

Except it's nothing like a GT1000. Different frame and different engine. I guess they both air-cooled and made by Ducati?
BobcatSig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #13
Maxacceleration
Awol

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatSig View Post
Except it's nothing like a GT1000. Different frame and different engine. I guess they both air-cooled and made by Ducati?
Yup, yet both quirky (ergos), sorta ugly, something only a mother could love.
Not styling winners, either of them. I'm over Ducati lust. JMHO.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #14
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,588
Styling aside, I think it's good that Ducati tossed a pretty good performer (decent power & light weight into the ring consisting of mostly mild performance bikes (let's consider the Guzzi V7 conversion as a contender).

I'm hoping it will spur more development from the other companies, Triumph included. Triumph created the classic twin line some time ago and mostly sat on their hands ever since.

Don't get me wrong, I like the bikes a lot and would like to see them further developed.

I was real close to buying a Thruxton after moving on from the Scrambler. I rented one and put 250 miles on it. After that I reflected seriously on what it was going to take to get it where I wanted. I cast about for options and ended up with Ducati Sport Classic instead. It was already past where I would take the Thruxton, stock, and had a nice 6 spd trans I could never get with the Thruxton.

I'd love to see Triumph evolve these bikes with uprated R versions.

I finally did buy a Triumph, a very nice 2002 Speed Triple and I LOVE it.

danketchpel screwed with this post 05-18-2015 at 01:49 PM
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:48 AM   #15
vntgmx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
I have a 2014 Triumph scrambler that I'm coming up on 600 miles on. Mind you most of my rides are in the 60-100mile range with a 50-75% bias toward offroad. Has TKC80s on it for this reason. I just recently test rode a Ducati Scrambler and as expected it was all on road.
With that said they are quite different creatures and only thing really they share in common is the Scrambler name. Don't have time to go into details at the moment but I will say this that I don't think the Ducati obsoletes the Triumph at all. Does it do some things better absolutely but it has it's warts just like the Triumph and like I said earlier they are very different animals so it's not a one size fits all argument imo.