User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Colorado Bryee OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Cool2 Roll Call - Aprilia Caponord 1200 North America Owners

Since right now we are a very limited group - or should I say exclusive group of owners thought it would be nice to have a Roll Call so we can see how many owners may be out there and where they maybe located. Keep it simple just let us know where you purchased your bike - where the bike lives (city and State), Mileage and color. So if you own a new Capo 1200 let us know - owe and a picture if you have one would be cool.
Ivana Ridealot
Colorado Bryee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Colorado Bryee OP
Studly Adventurer

Carter Lake, Iowa

Bryanna - I purchased my bike from Breeze cycle in Omaha NE, The bike lives in Carter Lake IA which is pretty close to being in Omaha. The bike was purchased in April 2014. The bike has 3,300 miles and is red.
Ivana Ridealot
Old 06-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Phineas Whipsnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Got mine a week ago from Elk Grove Powersports. Lives in Stockton, California. My redhead just turned 600 miles and is due for its first service. Still on my honeymoon, so gotta go riding again...

Incidentally, shouldn't this bike be more appropriately considered a Road Warrior? I wouldn't dream of taking such a pretty machine off road.

Phineas Whipsnake screwed with this post 06-19-2014 at 03:50 PM
Phineas Whipsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
Colorado Bryee OP
Studly Adventurer

Beast or not a Beast your call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineas Whipsnake View Post
Got mine a week ago from Elk Grove Powersports. Lives in Stockton, California. My redhead just turned 600 miles and is due for its first service. Still on my honeymoon, so gotta go riding again...

Incidentally, shouldn't this bike be more appropriately considered a Road Warrior? I wouldn't dream of taking such a pretty machine off road.
Well check this link out and let me know what you think. The Aprilia looks very adventuresome to me.

http://www.livetheworld.it/iran.html
Ivana Ridealot

Colorado Bryee screwed with this post 06-19-2014 at 10:05 PM
Old 07-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
Capomort
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Howdy,

You got a healthier reply at AF1/Aprilia, me thinks... but nonetheless, I chime in.
Feel free to copy/paste my "Roll Call" over there for the new Aprilia Caponord....

I think it's #270? Clarify how I would know-- to be sure I'm not doing it wrong.

How, What, & Why:

I was test riding bikes, looking for a big, comfy, capable tourer ...and my search abruptly ended after riding the Aprilia, despite my not having "checked off" all the relevant contenders on my list. Within an hour, I cut the check and scheduled a pick up. I was... seduced.

This happened at Newport Italian (all Piaggio-- Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, Vespa), in Newport Beach, California; third week of June, 2014. They had three Glam White Capos-- the showroom floor model was fully bagged & sold, the demo bike had a couple hundred miles on it, then there was #...270 stuffed in the inventory line. 2015 Aprilia Caponord 1200 Travel Pack ABS; sporting the "52" tank decal.

The bike is currently in Tucson, Arizona (...per The Law, I trucked it over...trailering through the lovely passes of Palomar & Cuyamaca... um, the truck handled fabulously, I must say... my ADD was exceptionally focused...). The bike currently has about 1400 miles on her. Within the next 6 weeks, she will clock 3500-4000 additional miles, as I am doing two light "clockwise" tours through Arizona-California-Nevada (northern most point likely being the Bay Area...).

Cheers :)

2015 Aprilia Caponord 1200 - "?" - Glamourous White
2014 Honda CB500FA - "Dinky" - Ford Model T
2014 Honda CRF250L - "Twinky" - Pepto Bismol
Capomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
murdock2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capomort View Post
Howdy,

You got a healthier reply at AF1/Aprilia, me thinks... but nonetheless, I chime in.
Feel free to copy/paste my "Roll Call" over there for the new Aprilia Caponord....

I think it's #270? Clarify how I would know-- to be sure I'm not doing it wrong.

How, What, & Why:

I was test riding bikes, looking for a big, comfy, capable tourer ...and my search abruptly ended after riding the Aprilia, despite my not having "checked off" all the relevant contenders on my list. Within an hour, I cut the check and scheduled a pick up. I was... seduced.

This happened at Newport Italian (all Piaggio-- Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, Vespa), in Newport Beach, California; third week of June, 2014. They had three Glam White Capos-- the showroom floor model was fully bagged & sold, the demo bike had a couple hundred miles on it, then there was #...270 stuffed in the inventory line. 2015 Aprilia Caponord 1200 Travel Pack ABS; sporting the "52" tank decal.

The bike is currently in Tucson, Arizona (...per The Law, I trucked it over...trailering through the lovely passes of Palomar & Cuyamaca... um, the truck handled fabulously, I must say... my ADD was exceptionally focused...). The bike currently has about 1400 miles on her. Within the next 6 weeks, she will clock 3500-4000 additional miles, as I am doing two light "clockwise" tours through Arizona-California-Nevada (northern most point likely being the Bay Area...).

Cheers :)
So how do yo like it thus far? Any issues?
murdock2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
Capomort
n00b

Oddometer: 2
3000 Mile Capo Tour thoughts...

Funny you should ask...

(Since this "Roll Call" thread is pretty much dead...I'm just gonna shift it into "Aprilia Capo Update" babble.)

Today I just returned home from that 2 week ride, about 3300 miles... didn't go how I originally planned it (re: as noted above), as the first few days of thunderstorms encouraged me to divert east-- I rode Utah to the Bonneville Salt Flats (BUB Motorcycle Speed Trials yep...), turned through Nevada and up through Idaho, then Montana, and down through Yellowstone Wyoming, finishing up in the mid-East & South Utah Canyons. And, of course, the usual Arizona on the way back....

I now have a good feel for this remarkable motorcycle.

Generally, I have fallen in love with the bike. All motorcycles are compromises, so she's not perfect. But it is as close to a perfect road bike for my riding style as I've yet to ride. (And she wasn't at all bad on non-roads, either.) I return wanting to go right back out and ride the sheet out of this bike some more.

In no particular order, my thoughts on the good, the bad, and the ugly:

1. The absurd amount of heat coming off this engine... it worried me, I must admit. I was fairly concerned, with judgment held in reserve, particularly about my butt becoming smoked bacon on long rides. (It's hot-HOT... like, some would say "that's Aprilia character." I'd say, the bike would be recalled if it was a Honda....) Well, it worries me no more. At all. During daily touring, especially in all climates outside of death-zones (like Tucson...), it was a non-issue entirely. (This sort of explains why the motorcycle press has never mentioned the Capo's heat "character," perhaps... urban enviro's you definitely feel it, but out on the open road and mountain twisties, you just don't-- and nobody is testing the Capo in urban traffic for hours... btw: where it is a sick *fighter*, its Dorso' DNA being all there, chubby but vicious, boy it goes for daylight in Sport mode, wooo....) If anything, the pleasantly warm seat in the evening and chilly mountains was a lovely PLUS. Ahhh... throwing that recall notice in the garbage.

2. The motor... oh this motor. Hmm. I think this is where the bike captures my heart. Let's face it-- while the Caponord's looks have grown on me, she's not exactly "beautiful"-- by ANY measure, save perhaps, the "No Beak" referendum. But oh, that's what I see now... sheer beauty. (And from the rear, with bags... I think Queen-- she makes the rockin' world go 'round....) I guess the Capo is like a fairly pretty girl who becomes beautiful the more you hear her voice, and the more you get to know her sweet, magnetic personality. And the motor is THE big part of the Capo's personality. It purrs... then roars, just so good. I simply can't get enough of its sublime vibration (not annoying-- totally pleasant...), subdued private-but-authoritative sound, and linear pull. She's so strong without being abrupt-- smooth and dedicated. Entirely useable, every single galloping horsey. From 2-8k, she just builds to a crescendo, choose your speed... no dips, no surges, no flat spots... totally useable torque, accessible everywhere, strong and controllable no matter your personal sense of urgency.

In urban riding, I noted a fueling hitch (Tour RBW mode) every so often, rarely-- if you are burbling along at 25-30mph, then suddenly hit it hard, there's a millisecond as if she were asleep, then boom. Almost like a cold carbed bike. But in steady open road, I never felt it. Same thing with the V-- there was a point at 3-4k where it felt like somebody dumped a box of cornflakes in the engine... just ugly rough... before she sorted herself out and got smooth & steady. I never felt this in the open road... this brilliant engine. Started every time, one click, regardless of temperature, btw... (as one expects from modern machinery). Sounds like an epileptic typewriter at idle-- do not be fooled. At speed, this engine & exhaust is pure music. And, not typical... a unique, addictive roar. Aprilia's lion logo just fits. (Yep... instant fanboi.)

I rode a GS 1200 a couple weeks ago, for a weekend in Los Angeles... urban filtering, tore it up (hey, it's a rental ha...). The GS also has a usable, tractable motor (though totally inferior clunky gearbox...). Great bike! But if you don't know what you're missing... well, then an engine is an engine, right? No. No, no, no... the BMW boxer is a chunk of coal to the Aprilia's diamond.

This twin is just marvelous. And, as a side note: Anyone who seriously suggests that you "need" a faster motorcycle than this is either deluded about their skills, or a complete idiot. Want... maybe... MAYBE for a select few insane people. But need? Ridiculous. This bike is plenty fast. I regularly ripped country roads at 80-120mph, and got there right quick (um, in my vivid imagination, of course...or maybe it was "kilometers," yeah maybe...). With countless pounds of gear and bags hanging off... it's a big, fast, absurdly comfy ST. If you ever hear, "But it needs more power!" you should immediately think: FOOL. (Or "nuts." Or both.) It's that simple. My GPS says I regularly clocked well under 4 second 0-60s, and I wasn't even trying... just enjoying the motorcycle. She's as fast as any vehicle needs to be... and 95% of the time, I was easily The Fastest Thing on the roads, by far... easily passing the countless truck-with-camper clones clogging up America's beautiful landscape.

(BTW: ...um, so WTF is the point of "camping" and "the Great Outdoors" if you wanna tow your whole damn house with you everywhere? It's just so... astonishingly ridiculous. We laugh at you, you silly Stepford people. And your wastefully absurd fuel bills-- Ha Ha Ha! Nice people... but all genetic clones, surely.)

Anyway... the motor. She's mine! Get your own.

3. The gearbox. It's perfect. Literally. Clip-clip-clip-- Perfect. I have read, both on forums and in the press, that the Capo "is geared too high." Nonsense. Change the sprocket, and I'm now convinced you've lost some of the point, the purpose of *This Caponord*. The "high" gearing, once acclimated to the right open country roads and mountain twisties, is so perfect with this wonderful motor. 3rd carries 30-70mph, 4th 40-85mph, 5th is 55mph-100mph (...in my imagination, again, yawn...), and... with the pinpoint control of RBW in Tour mode, roll on power is just fabulous. Awesome, just a joy. And I never used Sport mode (which I use frequently when aggressively attacking urban traffic... in my imagination, mmhmm...). In its intended environment, the bike is geared and powered like Goldilocks Incarnate. It's just so good. In urban settings, yes, a riding adjustment is possibly called for-- but once you learn to take street intersection turns in 1st (instead of 2nd like, say, a UJM/sportbike...), and burble along in 2nd instead of 3rd or 4th, you'll appreciate what Aprilia has really done here. Don't change the sprocket-- learn the bike.

4. The dirt. At first... I just laughed. "ADV" bike? Yeah, sure. But now, I think... HMMMmmm. With a radiator & oil cooler cover, and a skid plate, and DS tires... it could work. Delusional? Quite possibly. But she did so well on gravel roads, packed dirt, pebbles & potholes... I was truly surprised. I was so scared she'd be a terrible handful-- and I had nothing to be afraid of. In Rain mode (which detunes the engine and smears out the power delivery to a super-wide & springy twist...ultra pinpoint control, think "analog joystick..."), in 2nd gear, I often thought I was riding a much lighter 250cc thumper. And it's very quiet! That's no small deal in the mountains & forests, seriously. Not fast, but steady... 15-25mph. Balanced and easy. Scenery, and relaxation, and slow control....

Maybe that's not some folks' idea of a good time-- certain dirt riders would laugh at this (..."Hang back and gas it, baby!"). I do get that. But I'm talking about making a 580lb bike with 100lbs of crap on the back a viable machine to go from Point A-to-B (with smooth Dunlop Qualifier II tires, seriously...), then hop back on the pavement and cruise 200miles at 90mph (...in my imagination, obviously...). It's probably-certainly not a GS and never will be, but on dirt, I would put it up against a Chickenbeakstrada any day. That's entirely fair.

5. Fuel economy. The motorcycle press has been reporting 37mpg tops. I fully expected this, getting 33-36mpg around town, consistently (...again, fighting hoards of zombie cars in endless traffic lights in Sport mode...and, yep, all in my imagination...). I was constantly shocked. I regularly got 40-48mpg... and I worked this bike hard. I used whatever gear I felt like... I hit the throttle when I wanted (read: all the time)... I was as aerodynamic as a barn door... I rode 60-90mph constantly (...in my imagination...), and often much faster (...also in my imagination...). And I still never got worse than this typical episode: after 200+ miles, I got nervous despite no fuel light (because of Aprilia's *incredibly idiotic* "the last fuel bar is a Special Bar and worth three Normal Fuel Bars" ...ya dead serious; it's in the freakin' manual....), and I gassed up only 3.9 gallons (6.3 gallon tank). Whaaaaatttt? That means I had 280+ range, easy. And day after day, tank after tank, it was so consistent. 43, 46, 47, 45 etc. etc. Another benefit of "high gearing," I guess. Countless different 91 octane fuel brands; Chevron, Shell, Sinclair, Maverick, Phillips 66, Texaco... if it matters. I doubt it. The bike has 250+ range, period. If feathered, you could possibly achieve 300 if absolutely necessary... for your zombie apocalypse, hillbilly siesta, etc.. And I have seen the fuel light come on many times in town... and there's always 1.5 to 2 gallons left. Maybe I'm lucky. I doubt that, too.

6. Windshield. Whatever... it's a piece of plastic for "kittens" (...alliteration also in my imagination...).

Okay, high position rocks my head like a Saturn V rocket blasting off for two hours. Low position is like no windshield (which is how I just leave it now...). So, what's the point at all?

Well, this is my first "windshield" bike. And, magically, I am no longer covered in dead bug juice-- Sold! It's so totally *creamed* with mashed bugs... as are the hand guards, lights, turn signals, radiator, forks, etc. Flies hop on and have lunch... at campsites, I'd park and the ants would feast crazy. And to think, for years here I thought that I was all macho for being Mr. Bugcatcher... who knew it was so freakin' gross?

Windshield? Bugshield. Doesn't do diddly for the wind. Whatever... I guess "farkle up," brothers.

Side note: On the northern Arizona flats (Highway 89A Jacob's Lake out of Utah...), I faced cross-winds of up to 25mph, stuff trying to wildly rip me off my motorcycle for miles and miles... and I could pass bunches of 2-3 cars going 75mph, punching 90-100mph over those curved hills (...yes, I have an active imagination; never happened...), and the bike felt *at the limits* of half-sane control... and she did it, roaring forth. For some 40 mile stretch, me and an Ontario fellow on a Goldwing F6B played Death Race through the traffic, "like we stole it...." In my imagination-- and in your reality-- this bike certainly Can Do. It'll get sporting, sure, but it'll be a thrill. You definitely need good hardware, but at this level of machine, it's the rider, not the bike.

And to that guy with no eye-protection going flat-out on your loaded-down red Vespa... you are friggin CRaZY. (But then, you also looked 80 years old, so wtf do ya care anyway ha... you've earned it.)

7. The panniers... are held by a quarter-centimeter pin. Granted, the sticker warns, "Max capacity 11lbs, Max speed 80mph." Ummmm... they work! God knows, I stuffed them silly, and tested their speed rating... imaginatively.

8. ADD. So much fluff has been written about this great suspension... I'll be brief. In urban riding with a bare bike, I use Auto setting. No complaints; it's amazing how compliant and planted this bike is... nimble and quick, but seriously comfy and smooth. But I found Auto ADD a bit smooshey at high-speed sweepers and twisties. Also, I found the fork uncomfortably skittish and shaky over rippled pavement. Maybe it was all the crap I hoarded with me on tour. I set it to Rider-plus-bags. It improved. I set it to Rider-plus-Passenger. It improved more (i.e., stiffened up). The fork only got light charging up steep grades. Other than that, the feel & feedback were very good. At times, I forgot I was hauling 2wks of junk on the back... I had to check if the stuff fell off. On hard curves, the front tire would benignly give a bit on tar snakes or sand patches; at those speeds, something is always gonna give a little, Dunlop Qualifiers be damned... the rear, never. Traction control just works.

I disagree with the macho nonsense that "computer aids" emasculate a motorcycle and mask deficiencies in skill. No. Things like traction control simply allow more accessibility to the bike's potential-- and any experienced rider who's honest will admit this after all-conditions real riding. You may prefer an "analog" bike for the visceral experience okay, and anything can become "a crutch," yes... but this technology allows the skilled rider to ride at the limits and be safer. Period. There is no real debate. This same "debate" was about ABS for two decades... get over it. We know you're a "real man." Accept that the tech makes a better, safer motorcycle for ALL of us.

Having said that-- These press cycle testers must be totally nuts.... I regularly attacked curves at 150-200+% rating, depending on pavement conditions & obstacles (e.g., 30mph curve at 45-60mph, 20mph turns at 30-40mph, etc., in my imagination...), and I rarely touched down the feelers. You definitely gotta TRY, and at that point, you really are going too fast to be safe. Not that it can't be done-- it's just, on the street, it's stupidly risky to go that pace... because there's no margin for unexpected emergencies. Crashing as an acceptable risk? That's a track pace, and not responsible for the street. In other words-- the Capo's ground clearance is fine, unless you're stupid, or risky, or both. I could touch down, but only if I honestly was riding too fast-- in reality.

The bike has more than enough capability for 99% of riders... is what I'm saying. Which means, you should always be satisfied... especially for something this large and comfy, with such silly hoarding capacity (...um, apart from the usual rain gear & extra shoes, I carried extra Motul, brake fluid, coolant... seriously... tent, mat, blankets, five separate days of clothes & gear for 30F-110F, dinner, souvenirs, and my stuffed koala bear AND his NYY uniform...come ON! Looney... I feel the ADV guys' pain, really, I do... I mean Pork OUT...). I hauled like an F150, and rode like Porsche. Plenty of bike for me, and I always ride alone how the heck I want... in my imagination ;)

9. I totally flattened the Dunlop QII on the rear. The indicators are on the ropes.... I was thinking Michelin Pilot Road 4 for wet... but now I'm thinking a 10% dirt tire. Jeeezzzzz....

Speaking of wet: several days in pouring rain, and no complaints. I put on max traction control, and took it easy. The bike could easily do more, no sweat... but why? It's wet... slow down and live. Again-- but it CAN, for the needlessly brave....

10. Brembos... are Brembos. The Capo has no engagement for the first 50% of pull-- then sudden bite, then squeeze, and Brembos. Never felt ABS; left it on in the dirt, too. The rear brake... hmm, my wheel's disc is scrubbing the pad too much. Rear pedal feel is linear and even, and the cluck-cluck-cluck ABS comes in where the lockup would be. Utterly predictable. My only emergency use was when some idiot Ford Expedition stopped hard in the roadway (2-lane country road), and stupid me had a sun-visor... I thought he was gradual-- no! Came up so quick, I squeezed hard, swerved to the side, and passed him on the shoulder, my mirror grazing his window. Woooo! Yeah, jerk... but I was going too fast and was getting lazy. Nothing like an "almost died" to wake you up... Brembos! Btw, the ADD controls fork dive at over 50mph, but below, the considerable travel is mushy but controllable.

11. The seat-- fabulous. Now, I have been riding for 24 years (since 18, and I'm in my 40s)... I just can't do distance like I once could (e.g., did Iron Butt on a stock CB750 in my 20s). The motorcycle position is comfortable, flexible, with a variety of "shifties" for conditions... but it just doesn't matter for me-- after 50-100 miles, I have horrible neck and shoulder pain, and the back starts protesting. And my butt starts to burrrnnnnn; yeah, I cheek-shift. Get off for 15min, have a drink, walk a bit, start over fresh. But for a young guy, or a dedicated masochist, this bike is too absurdly comfy. For perspective, on my 2014 CB500F (...excellent, simply excellent motorcycle...), I cannot go more than 50-60 miles before I wanna die. And it's real comfy for a small bike; the press is generally spot on about the CB500F. But I can push it to 100miles on the Capo... hurts, but Can Do. That tells me this motorcycle is luxurious.

If these figures seem low, just bear in mind-- it's me, not the bike. I'm beat up. While walking, I was run over by a Mercury Grand Marquis at 45mph, punted 20ft headfirst into an oak tree, welcomed into a wheelchair (yeah... drunk driver...). What I can tolerate is likely less (but way more, in a certain sense...) than a healthy, fit person could. The Capo is very, very good. "All-day" comfy, for sure, right out of the box.

>sigh< The Ugly... ready?

This freakin' SUCKS bad. Aprilia! I'm nervous... Twice in 6000miles now, my bike has suddenly and abruptly quit at 70-80mph (... NOT my imagination...). It's scary... The bike just loses power, the solid red hazard light comes on, the EFI warning comes on, and the engine just starts pulsing from 1.5k to 4k... vroom, vroom, vroom. No power gets to the clutch or wheel. The RBW throttle goes totally dead. Both times, I was on highway sweepers, going downhill, then throttling up as I headed up the grade-- Bam! Quit. This time I was just done passing a tractor trailer... scary. I clutch in, coast with turn signals, brake and pull over, stop. I turn the engine off... wait 2-3minutes, turn back on... it's like nothing happened. But psychologically, this is NO GOOD. Just imagine.... randomly, anytime, CUT, it's over.

After the first time, I went in to an Aprilia/Ducati dealer. We hooked it up to diagnostics... the educated guess (based on computer feedback) was a "low pressure manifold sensor error" (...um, mmkay...). Dealer changed sensor; warrantied. Obviously, this wasn't the Problem. I have yet to scour the forums for similar experiences... I guess I should. It's concerning.

But, other than that... perfect. No BS, the bike has been reliable and works like it should. Around 1000miles, I had a slow right fork seal leak. It was changed after I used it for a few hundred miles, that's that-- also warrantied. Nothing that any bike couldn't experience. But this "sudden-quit" mystery is, unfortunately, a BIG DEAL. Because it could get me killed. Or, I have to learn to ride with this spectre all the time... changing my situation to respect this crappy flaw. Now, I can understand doing that on a vintage motorcycle... but a modern 2015 machine? Very concerning.

We'll see! First Year models... we are the guinea pigs, after all.

It certainly ain't gonna stop me from ripping around on the Capo. So, maybe my family can get a big settlement from Aprilia when I'm smeared to death by a Wal-mart tractor trailer or something....

That's all I can think off. And, I'm sure more than anyone wanted to read. Oh... the "Trip B" odometer randomly resets, also... making it useless (e.g., to log total sum mileage of repeated fill ups...). And, no-- it's not me "doing it wrong." It's just faulty. "Aprilia character!" We survived without this digital nonsense for decades, so presumably it's a small issue. But it ought to work, or why be there? And, if it's all a general "electronics FUBAR" that causes this AND the sudden power stops, it's not exactly comforting....

That's all. Despite The Horror, the Capo is a special motorcycle. It's just soooo good for a first effort. The Porsche Cayenne of bikes, an SUV bike.... big, stable, comfy, half-naked, agile, quick, and fast. It's certainly not a "Chickenbeakstrada turned down to 8" as one famous moto-mag said... it's a Chickenbeakstrada for someone who needs a dash of BMW civility in their hardcore Ducati, I suppose. And, everywhere I went: "What is THAT??" Or, "You sure don't see those." True enough. The only Aprilia I saw in 2wks and 6 states and 3000+miles was lovely Loretta Flores doing 158mph on her SL1000 in the Bonneville Salt Flats.

The right bike for the right person, definitely. I can only see myself leaving her if the "sudden quit" problem becomes chronic... then I will have no choice, because the bike will become inherently unsafe to ride.

Cheers! Mort

PS- To the poster... I like the icon-thumbnail. I'm gonna do the Lake Elsinore Grand Prix this year on Twinky, the Honda CRF250L... Go Slow or Go Home! Haha....

PPS- My kid said, "Duh, why don't you call her Pinky?" Pinky it is.

2015 Aprilia Caponord 1200 - "?" - Glamourous White
2014 Honda CB500FA - "Dinky" - Ford Model T
2014 Honda CRF250L - "Twinky" - Pepto Bismol
Capomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
slpeasy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Concur on the Capo

Wow, what a post! Very entertaining, and accurate. I too have the Glamorous 2015 Capo. Just a fabulous machine. Purchased May 2014 at Houston Superbikes (traded in a 2013 Stelvio). About the only thing I don't like is the instrument panel blacking out when wearing polarized sunglasses through a faceshield. I mounted a Givi windscreen and helps quite a bit on comfort.

Other rides:
1977 Honda CB55oK
2000 Kawasaki W650
slpeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #9
fonsecarlos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Very good
fonsecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Any one know what's up with the recall?
It doesn't sound like a good thing.....
Anyone have it checked out yet ?

Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #11
NickW1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capomort View Post
That's all. Despite The Horror, the Capo is a special motorcycle. It's just soooo good for a first effort. The Porsche Cayenne of bikes, an SUV bike.... big, stable, comfy, half-naked, agile, quick, and fast. It's certainly not a "Chickenbeakstrada turned down to 8" as one famous moto-mag said... it's a Chickenbeakstrada for someone who needs a dash of BMW civility in their hardcore Ducati, I suppose. And, everywhere I went: "What is THAT??" Or, "You sure don't see those." True enough. The only Aprilia I saw in 2wks and 6 states and 3000+miles was lovely Loretta Flores doing 158mph on her SL1000 in the Bonneville Salt Flats.

The right bike for the right person, definitely. I can only see myself leaving her if the "sudden quit" problem becomes chronic... then I will have no choice, because the bike will become inherently unsafe to ride.

Cheers! Mort
Yes, it is a very nice bike, thanks for the entertaining post Mort. I have not experienced your engine gremlin but my 2015 still needs to see some serious miles, too icy and cold of late, but when I have gotten out its been smooth sailing. Oh and that motor woo whoo!
Old 01-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #12
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
I do not have a Caponord, sorry about that, but boy am I glad I stumbled into this thread anyway. Capomort, that is one entertaining read! Very enjoyable thanks!

I tested a caponord (30 minutes) and as you say, I was totally totally impressed. For a first effort? Almost unbelievable. This bike outshines plenty of other "faux" adventures out there that are years into their model line.

That engine character and sound is sublime. Almost unparalleled in any other motorcycle I have ridden or heard. Comfortable at all speeds. The gentlemen speed machine, the luxury SUV of bikes (but in a good, charming and not over the top way, keeping Italian flair and style about it), and best of all, priced at a steal if you compare it to the competition! Great value for money for an overall great bike.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #13
NickW1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARiderX View Post
The gentlemen speed machine, the luxury SUV of bikes (but in a good, charming and not over the top way, keeping Italian flair and style about it), and best of all, priced at a steal if you compare it to the competition! Great value for money for an overall great bike.
Gentlemen's speed machine indeed. Amazingly quick for 125 hp it's all that torque available low down that grabs you by the minerals! The things I like best are:

1. Comfort; I'm getting long in the tooth and its hands down the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. The first bike with a stock seat that I won't have to throw in the bin.

2. Power, enough said.

3. Tech; I don't know of a more technologically advanced motorcycle out there. Sure that's more shite to break but wow does it make your life easier while it's working and so far I've had nae problems (knock on wood). ATC, AMP, ABS, ADD, 3 engine maps that when combined with the different traction and suspension shite gives you dozens of riding options. The AMP (Aprilia Multimedia Platform) is fucking magic if... You have an iPhone/iPod/iPad. The parameters displayed are just too numerous to list, once I've sorted my pics I'll post a run down on the AMP.

4. The brakes, these ABS Brembos are fantastic, I wished they were linked though.

What I don't like is:

1. Wiring; reminds me of British Leylands shitty wiring of the 1960's and 70's. I've been going through the bike using copious amounts of dialectric grease, cable ties and tape. I must say they have improved their actual connections and some even have rubber boots! Perhaps there is hope!

2. The horn; worst horn on anything with wheels that I've ever encountered. Easy fix though.

3. The owners manual and service manual are an after though, just barely adequate.

Not much I don't like that I can't fix so.....

She's a keeper!
Old 02-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #14
Pepemoto
Road-slicer

Oddometer: 68
Capomort, nice review on Pinky. Did a demo, wished I had tweaked the add. :)

Ride safe, dude!
Old 02-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,528
Well I found this just at the right time. I'm seriously considering a Caponord. I took a test ride yesterday, but I gotta tell you, the dealer is a multi brand dealer and nobody seemed to know much about it. The instrument panel was a complete mystery to me, with lights blinking, pictures of helmets? I had no idea what it all meant. I have no idea what the traction/suspension settings were and nobody in the shop seemed to know either. Plus, I'm an old dude and much of instrument panel was in a font too small for me to easily read....I'll have to carry cheaters with me to see what's going on.

It took three guys to confirm that the bike was pre-wired for heated grips but they were an additional option which would cost a couple hundred plus an unknown amount of labor.

Finally, what the heck is with the kill switch being integrated with the start button?

Still, it's a very interesting bike and the dealer has it listed for 14,500 USD

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote