User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM   #1
murdock2002 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
2015 BMW r1200gs or 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere

Bottom line: I can have an either a 2015 BMW r1200gs LC (NON-GSA version) or a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere non-ES, equally equipped; price difference is only $1,100, with the BMW being the more expensive. I would like input from the inmates about which to get.

My profile: 6'3" tall, 185 lb, will be riding paved roads 99.9% of the time; daily commuter, weekend warrior, and a few multi-day rides throughout the year. I typically ride rolo, so a pillion passenger is not a concern. I ride year-round, rain or shine, and am sick of cleaning chains or carrying all that stuff with me on trips. I'm looking to buy this next bike to last me the next 8-10 years and between 85,000-100,000 miles. I plan on doing some long distances throughout Europe as well in the next three years. Where I live now, there is one Yamaha dealer within 20 minutes of me, and 2x BMW motorcycle dealers within 35 minutes of me; where I will eventually live back in the US, there are 3x Yamaha dealers within 40 minutes and 2x BMW dealers within 65 minutes, so dealer networks now and in the future is not an issue. I'm sick of dealing with chains.

Additional context:
I am stationed in Europe, so my vendors of US spec bikes are limited. The pricing is totally inclusive of everything, OTD, equally equipped with cases and other desired accessories. With the BMW, I can custom order the bike how I like...either the bare bones or farkled and teched out to my liking...with the military pricing, starting price (bare bones and no accessories) is $14,878 OTD; the Yamaha Super Tenere (non-ES) is $13,899 OTD.

The way I have both bikes spec'ed out (equally equipped, so no ESA or LED headlight on the BMW), pricing comes to BMW $17,360 and the ST10 $16,504. If both bikes were to have ES, the BMW would be $18,310 and the ST10 would be $17,204.

Ok, what says the inmates...?

murdock2002 screwed with this post Yesterday at 01:04 PM
murdock2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #2
bighairless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I spent 18,000 miles on a 2012 ST...and bought a 2014 GSW this year.

These two bikes are in the same category but not even in the same league since the last time both bikes were updated...if money is not an issue -it's a no-brainer IMO.

Non ES's: the ST suspension may be short term livable at your weight, I found it poor. I'd be willing to bet the 1k you save at purchase would be lost after a necessary upgrade and that's just fixing the rear shock.

ES's: The BMW's suspension is easy to use and performs very well up 450 lbs. (as much as I've had on it). And I would pony up for Dyna ESA on the BMW...I was going to buy a standard suspension one, I'm glad I tested first, it was worth the money for me.

Performance (handling/braking/acceleration): BMW all the way. The only place I could give these two bikes a near equal would be in the off-road comparison and if the off-road was soft, the BMW (non Adventure model) wins by weighing less.

The ST is the worst bike I've owned as far as do it yourself maintenance in the ADV category. The BMW is the easiest.

It's clear what I think but having said that both of these bikes would serve you well. Thanks for your service and good luck.
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #3
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,084
This inmate says the choice is easy. I would take the GS every time in this case. ESPECIALLY is most of your riding is street. The GS LC is a rocket! Also, I have a feeling that it will hold its value better than the Yam too.

I think you'll find that my opinion isn't too biased either. If you search the threads you'll see that I thrash BMW all the time when they deserve it.
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #4
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,435
In your situation I would likely go with the GSW. I have a Tenere, and it's a very good bike, but the engine on the GSW should blow it away (I say should because I have not ridden a GSW). For road only riding I think the GSW is the obvious choice when the price is that close.

The Tenere does have an established track record of not breaking much; who knows what will let go on the GSW in 50k miles? Should something major start going bad in a lot of them you will be able to unload it at a premium. It's surprising how much my Tenere has dropped in value. Even leftover new bikes are going for less than $10k.
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM   #5
decooney
Enduro Rider

Oddometer: 253
murdock2002,

If there is any way you can test ride both before deciding, it's really helpful. Your opinion could vary greatly (more or less) comparing on-road vs. dirt use between the two. I've ridden both (Tenere ES vs. GS wet head) over multiple test days and to me they ride and feel quite different from each other. There are aspects I enjoyed about both. If the price is that close between the two it may come down to what feels right to you. There was a greater spread on price between the two here in the US when I was buying just three months ago. Good luck on the decision whatever you choose.
'12 Yamaha FZ8-sold

decooney screwed with this post Yesterday at 04:25 PM
decooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM   #6
ViperJustin
Back in school...

Oddometer: 634
I'm a much bigger fan of the Super Tenere than I am of the GSLC. That said, in your situation I'd choose the GS since 99.9% of your riding is on the road. The Super Tenere is more of a 75/25 road/off-road bike than the GS's 90/10 road/off-road. The only bike more superior off-road in this category is the KTM 1190R.

Since you're riding 99.9% road, have you considered the Ducati Multistrada?
08 MegaMoto #99529 For sale. PM for details.
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM   #7
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,288
I completely agree with the comments made by bighairless.

My '12 Super Tenere was traded for a '15 GSA low suspension model. I owned the ST was 30 months and put 26K miles on it.

I've been a fan of the boxer motor since 1973 when I bought my 1st new BMW. The LC motor is very different then the Yamaha lump with it piss poor fuelling/engine management.

The GS is 60 lbs lighter, has 15-20 more HP, a flatter torque curve, lighter handling and quicker turn in, self cancelling turn signal, a proper gear indicator, and more........ The extra $$$ for the GS will be well spent.

At you height you may want to consider a GSA, it'll provide you with more rider space, crash bars, luggage racks, skid plate, LED driving lights, 7.8 gals. of fuel, and weight a few lbs. less then a naked ST.

Paul
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #8
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.

Oddometer: 1,750
Excellent post. Good detail.

I am anti modern day BMW.

however, their flag ship GS is the best out of their MCs.

For 99% tarmac and having logistical support about the same, and doing weekend warrior stuff, go GS.

EASY pick.

Sicily or Florence?
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM   #9
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
At roughly the same price add another vote for the BMW.

In the US right now a fully equipped Super Tenere ES is around $13,000 and the BMW is around $20,000 so the math looks quite a bit different than yours.
bmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #10
mrbear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
At roughly the same price add another vote for the BMW.

In the US right now a fully equipped Super Tenere ES is around $13,000 and the BMW is around $20,000 so the math looks quite a bit different than yours.
What he said. I love my ST, but it's a '13 I bought as a holdover last June. Great motorcycle at a great price ($10.5K including $1000 in Yamaha accessories), vs about $22k for a similarly equipped GS locally. Also, I had LOUSY experience with BMW dealers. However, for equal money (or close to it) I'd go BMW. More features, much better resale. Remember however that stateside, BMW dealers are somewhat "scarce" and as I said, I had a terrible experience with one of two that's within 100 miles of me. Your results may vary. Frankly, you won't got wrong with either bike.
mrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM   #11
V35A
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I just bought a new 2014 Tenere ES this month. So far I like the bike a lot and have no complaints. The price was approximately $7K less than a comparable GS.

Although I really like the Yamaha, if I was in your situation I would buy the BMW. But you can not really go wrong with either choice in my opinion. Good luck.
V35A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:10 AM   #12
VK4DU
Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer: 247
As you have probably noticed, about every 3rd or 4th bike in Europe is a GS...

There is a reason for this.....

Dave Jefferies.
VK4DU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:55 AM   #13
murdock2002 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperJustin View Post
Since you're riding 99.9% road, have you considered the Ducati Multistrada?
ViperJustin, thanks for your reply.

I really like the styling of the MS, but really don't want to get a chain drive, especially at that high of a price. That's one reason the BMW s1000rx is not on my list, besides the fact that sitting on it in Milan was not comfortable (pushes your junk into the gas tank).

If I was to go the chain drive route with a sport tourer, I would probably get the new Yamaha FJ-09 (MT-09 Tracer), but wait until the 2016/2017 models which would hopefully have cruise control...ridiculous Yamaha didn't add that on this first year model.
Old Today, 01:01 AM   #14
murdock2002 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post

At you height you may want to consider a GSA, it'll provide you with more rider space, crash bars, luggage racks, skid plate, LED driving lights, 7.8 gals. of fuel, and weight a few lbs. less then a naked ST.

Paul
Paul, thanks for your reply. It seems like that equally equipped, the r1200gs comes out costing the same as a GSA, except the GSA has longer range with the larger fuel tank.

The reason I prefer the "normal" r1200gs is:
1. Smaller body profile...I do a lot riding in city traffic right now
2. Less Weight
3. A little more sporty (look and handling in the twisties - based on the reviews I read)...the GSA is no slouch, but on some of the steep/tight mountain passes I come down, I think the non-GSA would do beter
4. BMW integrated side cases...I know there are "better" options out there, but I really like the look and functionality of the integrated vario side bags - especially in an urban environment, or being able to expand them to fit my full-face helmet in one side, or remove, and not have all the metal side case mounts sticking out...cleaner look.
Old Today, 01:04 AM   #15
murdock2002 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by V35A View Post
I just bought a new 2014 Tenere ES this month. So far I like the bike a lot and have no complaints. The price was approximately $7K less than a comparable GS.

Although I really like the Yamaha, if I was in your situation I would buy the BMW. But you can not really go wrong with either choice in my opinion. Good luck.
V35A, thanks for the input from a recent S1 owner...when initially I thought the S10 would be $4-6k less, the value proposition to go that route seemed greater.

With only about a $1k difference, the BMW really does seem to be better...not just from a weight, performance, and resale perspective, but also being about 15-20mpg more fuel efficient over the course of ownership (gas cost) and during long road trips (convenience).