User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #3901
lowriderglen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
CHEAP Ride

I have three Festivas (one tagged) that I still drive every day still gets 40 mpg. Too cheap to sell....
lowriderglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #3902
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,765
Speaking of tires, where's everyone buying their Dunlop 616's these days.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #3903
bambr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
last year, 24/06 in BC, Canada
Old 08-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #3904
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Dont need

Tires anymore, Think I may decide to sell it and get something a little more reliable that I feel I can safely travel further than 60 miles from home on.
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #3905
Hoppalong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandkat View Post
Think I may decide to sell it and get something a little more reliable that I feel I can safely travel further than 60 miles from home on.
Character, comfort, and great handling versus reliability and large dealer network. The more of one, the less of the other.

Which bike(s) do you have in mind?
Hoppalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #3906
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppalong View Post
Character, comfort, and great handling versus reliability and large dealer network. The more of one, the less of the other.

Which bike(s) do you have in mind?
yea, mines a 2007 with 26000 on he clock, everytime i ride it Im afraid the crank is going to go because of the reputation on the 07s.

I dont know at this point, id like something as reliable as the weestrom but more exciting. maybe an old Caponord, or something of the sort.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #3907
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
yea, mines a 2007 with 26000 on he clock, everytime i ride it Im afraid the crank is going to go because of the reputation on the 07s.
So you're saying there's nothing wrong with it but you're afraid there might eventually be something wrong with it?

I mean, wanting to ride other bikes is as good a reason as any to trade off... but the remote potential for trouble? I say carry a spare!
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #3908
Hoppalong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky1 View Post
So you're saying there's nothing wrong with it but you're afraid there might eventually be something wrong with it?

I mean, wanting to ride other bikes is as good a reason as any to trade off... but the remote potential for trouble? I say carry a spare!
Unfortunately, the possibilities for problems are not all that remote. More like probabilities than possibilities. Many of the '07 models have already had disastrous crank problems at roughly the mileage that Ronandkat's is at.

And there are other well-known problems that have left many XB12X's stranded, regardless of model year. And it seems that many Harley dealers that once sold Buells refuse to work on them now, no matter how stranded and desperate you might be. As fun as the Ulysses is to ride on a twisty mountain road, it would definitely not be my first choice for any ride more than an hour's tow from home.

And I will not at all consider any future EBR model until they've proved to me that this time they got that part of it right (reliability and dealer network).
Hoppalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #3909
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky1 View Post

From my understanding the previous owner got alot of the little quirks straightend. yes it currently rides and runs spectacular and has not left me stranded anywhere. other than needing tires, and a little low rpm tuning through ecmspy to play with timing to get rid of some tapping / pinging issues at low throttle inputs, its perfect. i just worry and dont have the confidence I like and find myself missing more and more rides do to simply worrying about reliability. i do love to ride it though.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #3910
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Speaking of tires, where's everyone buying their Dunlop 616's these days.

I just bought a set for my STT from BikeBandit under $300.00 delivered. They came two days after I ordered them. Don't know how well that would work for you IIRC your in Canada so shipping and all might kick your ass unless you have someone in the states to help out.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #3911
TimberWolf
enslaved by employer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
From my understanding the previous owner got alot of the little quirks straightend. yes it currently rides and runs spectacular and has not left me stranded anywhere. other than needing tires, and a little low rpm tuning through ecmspy to play with timing to get rid of some tapping / pinging issues at low throttle inputs, its perfect. i just worry and dont have the confidence I like and find myself missing more and more rides do to simply worrying about reliability. i do love to ride it though.
Get an oil analysis done. I think it's excess silver particles in the oil that indicate possible roller bearing failure. Badweb has a lot of info on this. I worry about this too, but there are some 07 Ulys that have over 100k without failure

2007 XB12X
TimberWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:29 AM   #3912
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
Get an oil analysis done. I think it's excess silver particles in the oil that indicate possible roller bearing failure. Badweb has a lot of info on this. I worry about this too, but there are some 07 Ulys that have over 100k without failure

Oh I certainly agree, there are plenty of high mileage ones out there, its not like every single 07 had or will have a failure, Im sure in actuality in terms of numbers and percentage, the odds are probably against it happening.

I started the tire process last night, probably finish yanking everything off tonight..(only had about 15 minutes free to work on it last night)
Old 08-03-2013, 04:00 AM   #3913
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
311 north of Roanoke Va.

2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #3914
Mortis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
New owner checkin' in

Well after 2 years of not having a bike I'm back at it and I chose an exceptionally clean 2009 XB12XT that I purchased from another inmate here.

Only have about 200 miles on her so far due to not yet having a plate on it and paranoid about tempting fate too much. So far I love it, far and away the most fun bike I have ever owned

A few of the pics I have snapped so far:

Ok I'll stop, just excited.

Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #3915
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Well after 2 years of not having a bike I'm back at it and I chose an exceptionally clean 2009 XB12XT that I purchased from another inmate here.

Only have about 200 miles on her so far due to not yet having a plate on it and paranoid about tempting fate too much. So far I love it, far and away the most fun bike I have ever owned
Congratulations!! I also have a 2009 XT. I was loving it until today when it pooped out on me in New Hope, PA. Weirdest thing. Turned on the key, all normal, hit the starter button, and it all went kaput. No display, no start, no dial sweep, no nothing. Checked battery terminals, checked fuses, checked ECM. Nothing appears to be wrong. Got it towed to the shop for analysis.

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote