http://bigsaint.smugmug.com/
Orangetwin411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:46 PM   #17
S Won OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Posted by: dozer
I to am wondering what the pros and cons of the 2mm offset. Does it make that much difference or is the stabilizer the biggest difference?
From my understanding the 2mm offset makes the bike more stable. This is because the trail is increased, just as BigMac pointed out. Gary Emig told me the difference is like night and day. I bought these parts for the promised increase in stability and the bling factor. My bike handled just fine, UNTIL, I raised my forks in the trees because the bike was just a bit too high for me. Yeah, that's funny! This produced a low speed wobble while turning in parking lots mostly. It wasn't bad and was never very bad. I want to point out that when the bike was stock, it was very stable. I produced the wobble by changing the bike. As posted before, I recently had my forks lowered 1" by Factory Connection but Gary Emig told me that it really wasn't necessary with the 20mm offest clamps. The one feature that I really like on the ER II steering stabilizer is the dampening action in both directions. The ER I stabilizer does not produce resistance while returning to center. Gary Emig recommend that I get the ER II and I also recommend that. This recommendation, from me is probably premature because, I haven't ridden it. But I trust the recommendation from Gary Emig. The steering stabilizer is going to help more in the loose, high speed stuff, like gravel and sand. If you get a wobble in that, most likely you're going to go down due to a tank slapper.

Quote:
Posted by: Orangetwin411
Looks nice Swon, real freakin nice
Thanks Orangetwin411, I'm really liking it. I can't wait to ride it. We're supposed to get some snow this week. At least I have heated grips now!

S Won
S Won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #18
dozer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
BigMac and S won thanks for your input.

So if i understand ?

In the dirt and lose stuff I might be happier with the stock offset and a stabilizer and in the twistys the 2mm increased offset with or without stabilizer might be the better option ?

04 950S if that matters
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:43 AM   #19
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Won.
Gary Emig recommend that I get the ER II and I also recommend that.
Both the ER I and ER II work well with this bike. It just depends on how you are using the bike.

I ride mainly off road and prefer the Revolution I.

REVOLUTION I is unique by not dampening back to center. For most off-road use, there is no need to have dampening when returning to center. Working against the hydraulic resistance while returning to centerline increases rider fatigue. It is unnecessary.

REVOLUTION II steering stabilizer is designed for bigger, dual-sport type bikes. When primary use is straight-line riding, rather than tight woods, REVOLUTION II provides dampening in both directions. This is helpful in higher speed conditions, deep sand, etc.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:08 PM   #20
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer
BigMac and S won thanks for your input.

So if i understand ?

In the dirt and lose stuff I might be happier with the stock offset and a stabilizer and in the twistys the 2mm increased offset with or without stabilizer might be the better option ?

04 950S if that matters
I posed the same question and Gary Emig reponded:

The 20mm offset would drastically improve all around riding conditions. The steering stabilizer would more than compliment each of the riding conditions you mentioned, particularly in sand. If I had to choose which, if any, to get first I would choose the offset clamps, with the Under-The-Bar mounts. This will help the ergonomics and greatly help standing up on the bike.
Call me with any more questions,
Gary

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:22 AM   #21
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Found this too

Its a "non-invasive" "everyone could do it approach
Not sure if it comes on both axle diameters
http://www.rekluse.com/store/index.cfm?CID=36

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #22
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Won
If anyone wants the FMF mufflers contact me and I will sell them.

S Won
I'll take them if I can buy the bike they're attached to(seriously). Beautiful GO!!!!!! man. Really, really nice.
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:53 PM   #23
S Won OP
Studly Adventurer

Some new OGIO bling for my 950 S!

Thanks cmw! The bike is really dirty right now. I live on a 1.1 mile gravel road, so it's hard to keep it clean. The big KTM doesn't look bad dirty though and that helps. The Emig install is almost complete. I searched all over town for the DOT 5.1 brake fluid that I needed for the brakes. The local KTM dealer had it, but for some reason I drove around to all of the auto parts stores first.

I got some more ebay bling for the 950 today. A very large 113-liter blue OGIO motocross bag that I'll use on the toprack for touring. I thought it came with a raincover, but it didn't. The bottom is completely waterproof and it has a rigid panel to keep it flat. The raincover cover should be easy to get. I think it will fit my Touratech toprack just fine. The bigger Touratech rack and the hardbags should keep it off the mufflers but I'll need to watch it. The bag has a rollout mud flap to change boots on (shown in the second picture), a built-in helmet bag (for my off-road helmet), an off-road boot compartment, a goggle compartment, a tool gutter located on the bottom of the bag, daisy chains, a strap and some other cool features. What a deal at $65. I also got a 35-liter OGIO gym bag/overnight bag that will easily go in the bigger bags and hold personal items on trips. These along with my other OGIO bags, computer case, and Hydration unit should keep me happy for awhile. Good stuff, not expensive and functional. The big bag will hold my tent, sleeping bags, a folding chair, an extra helmet, boots and even more quite easily.

Wow, now I need to go somewhere!

S Won

Old 04-13-2006, 04:44 AM   #24
S Won OP
Studly Adventurer

Testing the Emig Racing clamps & stabilizer!

Well, I finally finished up my bike. I'm running a little late but the weather was crappy and I was busy with work. The weather has cleared somewhat and the bike is on the road!

Unbelievable! Is the word that first comes to mind! The bike handles much, MUCH better! One hand on the bars at any time and at any speed is doable. It wasn't before! Even stock. After lowering my S to fit me better, I had a slow speed wobble. As you may have read in this thread or in another, I had Factory Connection rebuild and lower my forks 1". I had raised the forks in the trees initially lower the bike. FC lowered the forks 1" so, it's higher now than it was when the forks were raised. Now, my bike is just 1" lower in the front, than a stock 950 Adventure S. Factory Connection also swapped in .50kg springs for my stock S springs. The Emig clamps are the main reason the bike handles better but the FC springs complete the total effect. The bike is still high, but I have also just purchased a new 'Gel' seat, so it's very managable for me. I can almost flat-foot the bike now! The new seat needs glued and stapled, because I just swapped my orange S cover onto it. I'm very happy with all of the modifications.

Ok, back to the handling. The Emig 20mm offset clamps are very nice. They add a great deal of stability to the bike just as Gary Emig told me they would. The ER Revolution II steering stabilzer is awesome. I keep it on 5 for regular street duty. Because of the heavier fork springs the front feels very solid in all situations now. Before the modifications the forks would bounce and the front felt loose to me. Like it would washout easily. It felt like this even at slow speed! I now, seriously believe the stock springs are just too soft. Of course, for off-road use they may be perfect. It's all a compromise but... I use it mostly on the street and gravel roads, for now! We'll see what happens later. I know one thing! She's totally opposite from stock and I like it this way! I took a short 70 mile trip on Tuesday and then came back today. Excellent twisties on Rt. 7 from Pentress, WV to New Martinsville, WV and I then did a little 4-lane highway up Rt. 2 to Moundsville. The bike is solid and planted firmly now.

It looks killer too! I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

S Won
Old 04-18-2006, 06:45 AM   #25
S Won OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok, if anyone cares to see it, here are a couple pictures of my Factory Connection newly suspended 2005.5 950 S. It has Emig Racing clamps and steering stablizer, Akrapovic mufflers, folding mirrors, Symtec heated grips and a few other modifications. The bike also has orange Factory Connection/WP Racing protective fork stickers, Supermoto axle sliders, rear KTM race bobbins, Superbike gel grips (highly recommended over stock grips), and a new KTM radiator cover. My next mod may be Red Bull stickers. I'm considering them after seeing Trident's bike! See bottom picture!

I thought someone may want to see it. Even though she's very dirty!

S Won

Old 04-18-2006, 07:04 AM   #26
SST
Lost again...

Oddometer: 1,295
Looks very nice S Won. You are getting that bike dialed.
Rallymoto #165
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:47 AM   #27
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Nice and similar to my setup. I also have 17" wheelset for supermoto riding.

Now that you 're all dressed up where are you planning on going?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:04 PM   #28
S Won OP
Studly Adventurer

All dressed up and no place to go!

Well, I don't have any big trips planned or anything like that. I mostly just ride the bike locally here in the West Virginia twisties. This is one of the best riding areas on the East Coast. People ride from all over to come to West Virginia to ride. It's just outside my door so, I'm already here. I would like to take it up the ALCAN Hwy, one of these days before I get too old. The 950 is great for commuting which is what I usually do with it. I live on a 1.1 mile dirt road, so I needed something with more dirt capability. The road was beating the living crap out of my other bikes, mostly Buells. The 950 is much better for this type of riding and it doesn't look bad dirty, which it is most of the time. All I did with the Buells is clean them.

On May 18th, I'll be meeting up with a couple of AdvRiders from Indiana. I'm going to show them some of the sites here in WV. We plan to hit Spruce Knob, Seneca Rocks and Smoke Hole. After that we'll hit the twisties up Rt.50 through Cool Springs, WV. Me and a few buddies are also planning the 1st Annual Six State Border to Border Run sometime in May or June. We'll leave at dawn and hit all 5 states bordering WV and then hopefully make it back from where we started before dark. Some say it can't be done. Nobody has ever tried! I'm also planning a trip to Niagra Falls sometime this year.

So, as you can see, I have nothing like a big trip to Baja planned but being on the East Coast limits the possibilities of Baja. At least for me!

S Won
Old 04-18-2006, 09:20 PM   #29
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 9,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Won
From my understanding the 2mm offset makes the bike more stable. S Won
From prior posts on stabilisers and offset, increasing the offset decreases trail and actually makes the bike less stable but quicker to turn...

try this thread - hope it helps clear up matters...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=20mm+offset

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #30
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,452
I was wait'n for someone to burst S Won's bubble, I didnt want to do it becouse I already teased him about lowering his ''S" model. Sorry, I was happy that you were happy with it, but now you know the truth. Its ok, just say "it feels better with the new off set".

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote