User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #16
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogguy1
Apply for the Title, pay the $20, and forget about it, you must have the scoot registered to you to obtain insurance - which is the key
This is not true. You can call any insurance company and get an insurance policy so long as you have the VIN. l have purchased many bikes and cars and done this before I picked them up. Otherwise you would be using the previous owners insurance and he would be responsible if you crashed on the way home.

You must have the insurance before you get the registration anyway. The vehicle registration office asks for it when you are doing the paperwork.

I usually get the insurance policy then pick up the bike/car and get the state inspection the next day. After the inspection is complete I go do the title transfer and get the current registration.

However, you don't need a license to get the insurance policy, transfer the title, or get the inspection.

Oh, and better late than never... :-)
20070411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #17
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaminoChiizu
Just ride it. If you get pulled, tell 'em you rode it down from Montana.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #18
RLK

Oddometer: 6,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogguy1
Apply for the Title, pay the $20, and forget about it, you must have the scoot registered to you to obtain insurance - which is the key
last time around w/ registering a vehicle, the county told me I had to have insurance before the'd register it. The ins. co. told me I had to have it registered before I could buy ins. I explained this nicely to the ins lady on the phone, then not so nicely a second time, then, "DOES YOUR FU@#$%G COMPANY WANT MY MONEY OR NOT BECAUSE SOMEONE OUT THERE DOES!!"

They faxed proof of ins. to the county clerk's office about 15 minutes later. In another 3 minutes I had plates in hand.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #19
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20070411
This is not true. You can call any insurance company and get an insurance policy so long as you have the VIN. l have purchased many bikes and cars and done this before I picked them up. Otherwise you would be using the previous owners insurance and he would be responsible if you crashed on the way home.

You must have the insurance before you get the registration anyway. The vehicle registration office asks for it when you are doing the paperwork.

I usually get the insurance policy then pick up the bike/car and get the state inspection the next day. After the inspection is complete I go do the title transfer and get the current registration.

However, you don't need a license to get the insurance policy, transfer the title, or get the inspection.

Oh, and better late than never... :-)
+1...I've registered at least 20 bikes in Tx and insurance comes first. I usually have the bike insured before I pick it up (even when buying out of state). You don't need to have anything but the VIN to insure a bike in Tx.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:14 PM   #20
leakypetcock OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20070411
If it has a motor (electric or internal combustion) then it is a motor vehicle. You will need registration, inspection, and insurance.

You will also need to be >= 15 years old and have at least a restrictive "k" class "m" motorcycle license.

I know personally that a no insurance ticket will be a $1000 fine from the State of Texas over a three year period. You might also be subject to a license suspension and be forced to get an SR22 insurance policy to get it back.

It appears that the inspection is less restrictive for a moped though.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/txm...tm#Chapter%202

VEHICLES AND EQUIPMENT SUBJECT TO INSPECTION.

(b) A moped is subject to inspection in the same manner as a motorcycle, except that the only items of equipment required to be inspected are the brakes, headlamps, rear lamps, and reflectors, which must comply with the standards prescribed by Sections 547.408 and 547.801.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/mcintexas.htm

Registration. Every owner of a motor vehicle, including motorcycles, motor scooters, and mopeds that will be ridden on public roadways, must register their vehicle through the County Tax Collector in their county of residence. A license plate must be attached to the rear of the vehicle, and must include a sticker showing current registration.
Inspection. All motor vehicles registered in Texas, including motorcycles, motor scooters, and mopeds, must be inspected each year at an official motor vehicle inspection station. When the motorcycle passes inspection, an approved certificate must be placed near the rear license plate. These certificates are good for one year from the month of inspection.
Insurance. All motor vehicle operators must show proof of liability insurance when the vehicle is registered or inspected, or when getting an operator license.
So, I'm a legal resident of Fergus County, MT. I have my cars and KLR 650 registered there, and they don't require registration on the moped. Now what? I live in Texas because I'm in the military, do I go by Montana law, or Texas? HELP!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:40 AM   #21
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybm1
So, I'm a legal resident of Fergus County, MT. I have my cars and KLR 650 registered there, and they don't require registration on the moped. Now what? I live in Texas because I'm in the military, do I go by Montana law, or Texas? HELP!!!
ask your provost office they will know. I am pretty sure that you go by your legal residence when you are in the military. If you are not in the military you must get a license within 30days?. However many college students don't.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:00 AM   #22
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
If texas requires registration then not having a plate from MT won't fly. The military clause only works to keep your home of record plates, me also being in the military could not go to florida and ride my atv on the street just because it is legally titled and tagged in wyoming.
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #23
leakypetcock OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsprint
If texas requires registration then not having a plate from MT won't fly. The military clause only works to keep your home of record plates, me also being in the military could not go to florida and ride my atv on the street just because it is legally titled and tagged in wyoming.
That's been another question of mine, if I had an ATV that was legally licensed in MT could I ride it elsewhere. Isn't that what full faith and credit is all about? If it's legal in one state why can't it be ridden across the border?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #24
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
As far as insurance goes. My son has had my Honda reflex in san diego with my registration and Wisconsin plates on it for the past year. He has his own isurance policy on it in his name and has had no problem. The insurance co told him that they do not care who owns it as long as the one driving it has the policy and states what county it is kept in. The state can not demand it be licensed there because I own it and I live in wisconsin. I drive it when I go visit him in Cal.
If I were you I would call my ins co. in Montana and get a liability policy on the moped and then drive it around in Texas like I owned the place. If stoped just show you montana insurance info and say very nicly that Montana does not plate or title mopeds. As lond as you have a montana drivers license you have no problem.
The worst that will happen is the cop will say you can't do that here and tell you to stop driving it. More than likly he will say have a safe day, make sure you follow Texas moped laws when driving, thank you for your service to the country and enjoy your stay here in Texas.
Ins. companies are funny though . You might have to get a liability policy from a co. in Texas because you are keeping it there but I would call you co. in Montana first becuse you are in the military it might be different. I carry a scooter with me on my 5th wheel and stay in many states for extended periods of time like 2-3 months at a time and have had no problems with cops in any of the states I have been in. I just have everything legal for where I live in Wisconsin.

lifer screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 06:58 AM
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #25
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by james03x1 View Post
We have no need to have a motorcycle license for under 50cc scooter i mean for mopeds but if you wanna above from 50cc scooter then you need a motorcycle license.
It's been 5 years since the question was asked. They probably figured it out by now....

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote