Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2007, 05:25 AM   #61
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,110
I had that exact trailer. Only issue I had with it was small wheels, and it was a little dicey folding / unfolding it by yourself. You really have to be careful. I did it, but if you are stupid, you could end up hurting yourself if it slipped.

For $199 and my first trailer, was a good introduction.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:25 AM   #62
element
Time to roll

Oddometer: 357
I was joking

The trailer is GREAT, but a lot of folks knock it because it was made in China. No problems, but it a good idea to buy a few spare wheel bearing because the orginal to get rough after a few thousand miles. The replacements from HF are only $5.00 and they seem to be better than the orginial. My trailer has over 5000 miles (estimated based trips) The folding idea is fantastic.
element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:22 AM   #63
RT jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
trailers?

Guys if anyone is wanting to build a trailer or need parts . This is best place. I just ordered 8 trailer parts. Wicked good deal. Hubs with bearings for those little trailers 8 bucks. They just had sale on axles complete with ele brakes $107.00 www.expediter.com They are in FL. I'd post pictures of trailers but I find it easier to build them than post pictures.
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:58 AM   #64
element
Time to roll

Oddometer: 357
hub and bearings

If it fits the Harbor Frieight trailer, I like to have a complete 4 bolt hub, bearings, races and seal as a spare for long trips. I plan to pull out west again and it never hurts to have a spare. It said wholesale only, so I did not bother to register.... it they fit let me know how much
element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #65
Crashed Bad
Big man, little bike

Oddometer: 2,185
I hed the HF folding trailer for about a year. I used it for towing my XR650L out of town. i wound up buying a non-brand moto-carrier off ebay to replace it. It was awkward to fold and store by myself. Putting it together was quite a chore as well. Sold it for what i paid for it (minus ply wood) on craigslist.

For anyone towing smaller ds bike (under 400lbs) I really like the moto-carrier that goes into the receive hitch.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #66
RT jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by element
If it fits the Harbor Frieight trailer, I like to have a complete 4 bolt hub, bearings, races and seal as a spare for long trips. I plan to pull out west again and it never hurts to have a spare. It said wholesale only, so I did not bother to register.... it they fit let me know how much
If you have 4 bolt 4" space The hubs are #4334 $8.25 with bearings ,seal and lug nuts. That's 1" shaft of axle. Call 800 number. Wholesale only? NOT sure means thier price not who they sell to. They kick ass in prices. Get couple tie straps too pair for $3.25 #42477 P.S. I 'm not connected to them in anyway just love dealing with them. ASK if gease buddy cap #81980 At $2.50 each fits that hub? Screw taking bearing apart just grease em easy way.
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #67
BobDobalina
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Bumping an oooold thread as I'm about to get one of these.

Has anyone had any experience registering them in NY State? I've heard it can be something of a PITA

Much obliged...
Old 08-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #68
Mark Ryder
Kaboom !!!

Oddometer: 29
HF Trailer

To All in New York State,
They should give you a MSO- Manufacturers Statement of Origin so
you can fill out the paperwork pay the tax on it and have it
registered.
Mark
Mark Ryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #69
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,388
I got mine registered no problem here in LA.

I have the big wheeled one. No real complaints; I've had it since 2006 it's been stored outside and is pretty gross looking these days with Rust paint peeling etc.

I have got my $$$ worth out of this trailer though. I think it was $189 at HF plus another $50 for plywood and carriage bolts and another $100 for registration fees and taxes. Mine has been on a handful of 1000+ mile trips. Really

I'd much rather one of these

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #70
drrobsc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I had one of these for about 9 years and it performed flawlessly. I repacked the bearings twice and then did the bearing buddy thing (much easier). It was basically sturdy, but as mentioned you probably shouldn't go over 600 # or so. It pulled great behind my older durango. It is very prone to rust, so keep it indoors folded if you live in a humid climate. Titled as a home built here in Texas for a few dollars. Watch the wiring harness though, as it's tricky to mount with slack for the folding but still not too close to the ground when towing.
drrobsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #71
BobDobalina
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ryder
To All in New York State,
They should give you a MSO- Manufacturers Statement of Origin so
you can fill out the paperwork pay the tax on it and have it
registered.
Mark
Many thanks, kind sir.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #72
biscuit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I registered one in New York state

It was no problem at all. There's nothing wrong with these trailers, current bearings are fine, just add grease. Drove to Richmond, Nine hours at 70-85 mph with no problems.

I did a loose-fit of all bolts, squared everything up then red-loctite every joint. It will definitely rust in New York.
biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #73
BobDobalina
Adventurer

I'm sure it will. I'm getting the folding one so I can tuck it in the corner of the garage when the snow comes, but even so I'm guessing it'll be rusting soon.

But, for < $300, can't really complain too much.

Good idea on the loose fit then loctite!
Old 08-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #74
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
Nice I have the same trailer. Things that I have noticeds.

Get a spare wheel adn tire. I messed one up 800 miles from home once. That was not fun. The tires are high pressure. Don't think 35 psi like a car, more like 55-85psi and they need that!! Tires are only rated to 55mph. In california, anything towing a trailer is limited to that speed limit, however I have hauled that thing at 75mph for hours on end with not issue.

Get the wheeled trailer jack. Nice when you need to unhitch, and to hithc when trailer is loaded. Since proper tounge weight is important for stabilty, it might be difficult to lift the tounge. Becareful of jacknifing when backing up, less clearance with the jack bolted on.

The hub/bearing caps fit poorly. Make sure they are all the way hammer down or they will fall off on the highway.

Good thing you have it parked in the the garage. The paint is very low quality and peels easily from sun and weather damage.

I have had mine loaded up with 2000lbs (estimated) and no issues!

Didn't know there were Harbor Freights in Ireland.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #75
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
I had one of those-sweet trailer. I beat the heck out of it up and down forest roads. However, for one bike-if you can get a hitch hauler go for that. Registering a trailer is super lame.