Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2006, 06:44 PM   #16
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mc
I was there too on my NS50....Is that the first time you rode in it? If not, is it always that cold????? I stayed at the Econolodge in Dahlonega and though I was gonna freeze on the ride up to TWO that morning....The NS hardly has enough juice to power the headlight much less my gerbings....
That was my first time, but I camped there at TWO. The guy in the tent next to me pulled out thermometer from inside his tent that read 28F about and hour after sunrise.

A little before the start, the dash board thermometer in my car read 31F, and it was up by the lodge.

I heard some regulars talking about how it usually rains at some point during the rally most years.

Great fun, wasn't it though?

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #17
dirty dave
Banned

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
Yep. How about a YZ400/426?
http://www.ticeman.com/ysrs/yz426f/
I saw this guy race once, it was WILD
i saw that guy take a road race school at blackhawk farms...you see the bike and think...wow...then you hear it and say, what the F%$#
dirty dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #18
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305

Great fun, wasn't it though?
Damn good time......Can't wait to do it again next year!!!! Did you see the piece on Speedvision about it? If not, here's a link to it on Jeff's site.....(go about halfway down and you'll see the link)

http://www.champsclock.com/50cc.htm
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:49 PM   #19
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,986
Yeah, if you look at the Speed TV video towards the end when they were distributing the bake sale cookies, I'm at the left edge of the screen stuffing one of the cookies into my face. Blue denim shirt and orange True Grits cap on.

My nephew up in Macon saw it and called me to give me crap about always eating....

I've had my YSR up for sale, but no serious takers. If it doesn't sell by October, I will definitely do it again at hte True Grits - with slightly taller gearing to take advantage of the long downhills.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:43 AM   #20
wickedsprint OP
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
I guess I am wondering how much I will actually use this bike.
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:14 AM   #21
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsprint
I guess I am wondering how much I will actually use this bike.
I'd check to see what the local racing opportunities would be. If there's a local group running these things regularly, I think it would be a blast.

If there's not much local action and you're still looking for a small-displacement playtoy, you might want to consider a Zuma or Super9...that way you've got a racer, playtoy, and a viable commuter/errandbike--which would give you your money's worth out of it.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #22
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,974
if you are here in texas

check out

http://www.tmgps.8k.com/

here is me trying to look like I am racing

turn 5 at Oak Hill tmgp cmra crossover

ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:33 AM   #23
Duke61
Dangerman

Oddometer: 36
Have a YSR50 Too. We go down to Suches,Ga every year for what they call the "Isle Of Grits".They close off the whole town and allow ysr's,nsr's,ect. to race around the town. It's like the Isle of Man. Check out Calamari Racing for some good items on Ysr's.
Duke61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:16 PM   #24
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke61
Have a YSR50 Too. We go down to Suches,Ga every year for what they call the "Isle Of Grits".They close off the whole town and allow ysr's,nsr's,ect. to race around the town. It's like the Isle of Man. Check out Calamari Racing for some good items on Ysr's.
"Isle of Grits"

love it.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #25
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

some of my old ysr budds are down in Fla now.

Ben Spies (Suz GSX-R1000), 1:37.558
John Haner (Suz GSX-R1000), 1:41.423
Ryan Andrews (Hon CBR600RR), 1:42.283
Tyler McDonald (Yam YZF-R6), 1:44.990
Will Gruy (Yam YZF-R6), 1:45.586
Logan Young is there too I just don't know his times.

then there was this group that used to come down from Ky all the time but quit just as I was starting. The last time I saw Ben race a scooter was about 3 years ago.

Also this guy Edwards will come out and offer the whole group a chance to go over to his track and race.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #26
wickedsprint OP
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
Went and looked at it today, bike had 2550 miles and was very rough and had actually been sitting for 5 years not 2, rust in gas tank..roetten fuel smell..rust on frame wheels swingarm etc..bike was very very rough, clutch acted seized up, front tire flat..missing some body panels, although the engine would turn over so it is salvageable as possibly a racer or parts bike. Looks like I will be looking at a Zuma.
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #27
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsprint
Went and looked at it today, bike had 2550 miles and was very rough and had actually been sitting for 5 years not 2, rust in gas tank..roetten fuel smell..rust on frame wheels swingarm etc..bike was very very rough, clutch acted seized up, front tire flat..missing some body panels, although the engine would turn over so it is salvageable as possibly a racer or parts bike. Looks like I will be looking at a Zuma.
parts are starting to get a little harder to find. In the tmgp they have changed the rules so there is no ysr class any more. Now one will race against the nsr 50 almost 2x the horse power. Many of the frames now have xr 100 motors or cr, rm, kx 60-85cc. Some class you will be racing against 85cc engines in rs or tz frames.
Last time I visited my kid I looked on his work bench and he was putting together some weird frame with a asian knock off motor in it, for those races.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #28
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

here's a scoot racing calandar that might help:

http://www.whizwheels.com/calendar.html

Like I like. Yep.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #29
BCguy
Super Slabber

Oddometer: 41
In Canada here we have YSR 80's which gives a nice little grunt compared to the 50. Yup you can pretty much fit any small block in there.
Another place to check out is a new site. www.dinkybike.com

BCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #30
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
Ns 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mc
I've got one of these now, and it's an absolute blast to ride....I did get rid of the F'd up Miami Vice looking paint job though.......

Too bad this one is missing the whole tail body section....
In the 1990, I took an intrest in mini racing, but didn't want to race a YSR. So I bought a new NS50 and tried to race with the local YSR club(in S. Cali.). They started me in the modified class, so.....I proceeded to build the first(as far as I know) liquid-cooled mini-racer in the States.
Eng. mods included:
KX 60 piston(w/ the NS crank, this worked out to be 57cc)
Modified cyl. head and cyl.(ported)
Ign.(internal rotor type), reed block and and transimmsion from an air-cooled CR80.
Various carbs were used, but for most tracks, a PKW flatside(a 26 m/m, I think)worked best.
The pipe was custom hydro-formed.
This eng. made around 15 h.p. @ 15,000 r.p.m. and top speed was in the 75 to 80 m.p.h. range!(clocked on radar @ 76 m.p.h. going up the up-hill straight at the Streets of Willow track)
But, while it was fast, the chasis and brk.s left a lot to be desired.
I built a fat wheel(10") chasis using the stock frame(with the tripple trees reversed) and a very rare alum. gas tank from a YZ125X. I don't remember the exact details of the frt. brk., but recall using parts from a YZ80 and perhaps a disc from the mechanical disc brk. CB200. It was crashed beyond repair at the "World Mini Series" at Reno in '92 or '93.
Next was a Big Wheel, frt. disc brk. model using tires from the frt. of the Honda RS 125 road racer(generiously donated by Rodney Fee). These tiny slicks were so small that they looked like intertubes on the rims. With this bike, everything clicked and in the hands of better riders than me, was competitive in the '80 class. Even with me on board in the modified 60cc class, if I could keep the frt. runners in sight, I always had a chance. The Air-cooled YSR's always lose power thru the course of a race, where the liquid-cooded NS didn't.
Sometime in the mid '90's, I got rear-ended by a novice and at 45 yr.s old, wasn't healing too fast, so I parked it. Lasat I heard, the bike was parked in a barn in Tombstone Az.
In 5 yr.s of steady racing, I used two top-ends(after I burned up a few dialing the motor in) and two bottom ends. Amazing.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".

Motomech screwed with this post 04-12-2006 at 11:27 AM
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote