Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #46
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzak
I found this elsewhere on the web,you might get some ideas from it.

This bike was built by one of the guys who frequents the Boxerworks board.

He built the bike over about a years time and ducked a buncha bullets through creative thinking. Instead of cleaning the cases ne painted them with hi temp paint. Instead of cleaning the lesters, he painted them white. Most of the aftermarket parts are from Ebay and the mufflers are probably JC Whitney. Tarrozi rear sets and clip ons ...

He did spend some quality time designing his electrical system. IIRC, all thejunks under the seat and the works really first rate.

I love that bike!
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #47
beemercafe
Cafe-racer

Oddometer: 4
R65ls

This is a photo of my 1982 R65LS cafe racer, me and my dad built it took about 6 months, only change is i just fitted a set of mikuni's and am currently tuning them
beemercafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:06 AM   #48
Nick Makwell
Bavarian Murder Weapon

Oddometer: 672
What size Mikunis?

I'm thinking of replacing the Bings on my R65 as well (they're in bad shape after sitting outside for 2+ years, no it wasn't me!)

Nice bike - looks good!

Is that a QLD rego?

Nick Makwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #49
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Sorry to cut up your post ducsingle but I wanted to add a couple of comments.

"Rearsets will make the already clunky BMW shifting even worse. Also, the RAASK rear-sets I installed many years ago on a /6 required machining to fit properly."

With a decent, well adjusted set of rear sets installed, an Airhead will shift just as well as it does with the stock hardware in place. If one wants to use the Raask hardware, it's important to buy the correct mount for your bike but other than that and adjusting them properly, they're a no-brainer.

If there is a criticism if the Raasks, it's that fact that thedesign is pretty much Old Tech and a bit more complicated than necessary but they can be made to work very well if one follows the instructions and the correct mounts are available from Omars Rearsets. I like the rear sets made by Motocicli Veloci mysely, so thats whats on my bike but YMMV.

"The Corbin seat you reference is available stock for a SWB /5. I think Corbin will make one to fit a LWB bike, but they say it looks a little weird."

No kidding... That Corbin seat mounted in a LWB bike looks just awful.

"The 336 cam is NLA from BMW, at least for /5, /6, and /7 models. Motobins might have some stock left. Installation will require swapping pulling the clutch to install the later model oil pump."

The small seal style 336 can is NLA from BMW but last I heard you could still source them from Motoren Israel (http://www.motoren-israel.com/) and Siebenrock.

Someone was just telling me that the 336 has become very expensive lately but I have a new one on the shelf that cost me about $230 from Chicago BMW, admittedly, a couple of years ago. I also think that with some creative thought and the selection of the correct parts, it's possible to run the large seal 336 cam in an earlier bike. Think about it...!

"Koni shocks are NLA. Hagons and Ikons are good. Ohlins are better but expensive. For the front end, go with a RaceTech kit."

Ikon shocks ARE Koni's. They're just made better. Fortunately, we have some better choices available these days for not a lot more money. I installed new Ikon's on my bike and I hate em. Very stiff, very harsh and they only come in a 13" length for Airheads. Modern shocks perform much better and are capable of controling the rear end, while still delivering a smooth ride. Wilbers and the new YSS (?) appear to be the best value/performance bargain these days.

"Steering races - - - buy the Ed Korn tool."

Absolutely! The Ed Korn tools are worth the extra money and they'll last forever. I've been buying Ed Korn stuff for a long time.

PS: Shit Canning the air box and going with pod filters is probably the dumbest thing you could do to your bike but if you absolutely must, there are plenty of guys hanging around here who'll tell you how wonderful having less HP and torque are, while your bike wears out at a rapid rate, so go ahead. This is all about having fun.

OTOH, it would make a lot more sense to think up a way to get more cold air into the engine and put that scheme into play!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 12-01-2010 at 01:59 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #50
simonboxeproject
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Hi this is how far i have got (if i can upload images)
in short, frame split re-jigged and made 20mm wider at swing arm pivot.
mono arm made 20mm wider
side brace to frame and lower sections removed
ally subframe
usd forks 16inch front wheel, 18inch x4.5inch rear wheel

simonboxeproject screwed with this post 12-01-2010 at 01:29 PM
simonboxeproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #51
wildwestrider
Pack-Mule Hooligan

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobiker View Post
Is that an off the self seat/pan? Looks like a Corbin tag on the side of it.

BC
Old 08-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #52
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider View Post
Is that an off the self seat/pan? Looks like a Corbin tag on the side of it.

BC
whoa! Where did this thread come from? Before my time is where! Last post was back in 2010. That indeed is a off-the-shelf seat from Corbin, but if you go into the airheads sub forum one level up, you will find all the current threads for café airheads. I only say this randomly as I was searching for the chicks on old bikes thread!
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote