User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2006, 08:05 AM   #16
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
The Double X was the shit for LD riding for a few years.
It still is !!!

Well equipped and packed XX, is a great (on-road) sport-tourer.

I just returned from Daytona (to Chicago) in 24 hours, after working the show, the whole day ....

My better time is 19 hours, two years ago. I guess I'm getting old(er).

Actually, I wasted to much time looking for gas, dealing with unpleasant night staff at couple of motels, and choosing a wrong part of the route, at the end....

Quote:
One question I have to ask of all you guys who own these rocketships (XX, 'busa etc) - is there ever a time when not being able to use the bikes' awesome power becomes frustrating?
I've had my XX since '99 with 85K miles now, and no I haven't been frustrated, not being able to use the "whole" power range.
I lust after couple other bikes (GS Adventure being one) but I think at this point, the XX will remain with me till it "dies"...
It's actually a very cool bike ( IMO ! ) for simple cruising around and taking it "eassy".

And then you open the throttle !........................

Quote:
I'd agree if it didn't have those goofy linked brakes.
Have you ridden the XX ???

I hear the LBS is not wanted at the track, which the bike is not made for, and I imagine I'd have complains there too.
Most people who complain about the LBS are sport journalists or people who had never tried the XX's brakes. In the XX comunity, there are people who opted for de-linking the brakes - it is possible. I have no problems with my brakes.

Quote:
although I think that is the first time I have seen the phrases "good tire life" and "Blackbird" anywhere remotely near one another
The tire milage is verry inconsistant from person to person. No matter what bike, I think.

I get constant 8 - 10 K from a set of tires, where some people have a hard time to pass the 5K line.

I ride on a set of Pirelli Strada now, and they are past 6K still looking very good. That includes couple of long distance rides with full luggage....

Cool write up Johny KLR

Cheers,

P.S. The XX does not like the gravel - much.....

"Be afraid, be very afraid....." RT 221 south of Eureka Springs, AR.
Starts great but then the pavement ends and it's gone for 10 - 12 miles....

birdie_xx screwed with this post 03-13-2006 at 08:12 AM
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:00 AM   #17
Red J
Member.

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny KLR
Better yet is the slightly narrower tire (at 190) and it'll run you a bit less for new hoops.
Small difference, but you've said it twice now, so I'm going to correct you.

The blackbird has, stock, a 180 out back.
Red J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #18
shuggie
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I've just found you're site whilst on the hunt for a Africa Twin, and a link to wildhorserider courtesy of www.xrv.org.uk

What a real pleasure to see my other choice of steed, highlighted in such a unbiased way. Unfortunately some other sites and members, would not be so kind I'm sure.

Like birdie_xx I have owned my XX for a few years and I have to say, it is hugely potent machine capable of licence losing speeds in several seconds. I would disagree a bit with the initial resume of the XX however, as having been around the Nurburgring in Germany last year. With the right suspension set up, it can handle corners as well as most sports bikes. It can then take you a few thousand miles each way in comfort.

All bikes serve a purpose, and thats why I'll be using the XX to get me to Gibraltar this year. For next year however, I'll be looking to sell my Transalp and use an Africa Twin to cover the miles through Morocco.
Aint life superb!

Best wishes to all
shuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:06 AM   #19
spongebob
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Great review and what a bike! I checked one out recently while I was looking for a KLR replacement. Loved it but the riding postion doesn't suit my back. Good thing too - I would have killed myself on it! But what a beautiful thing! They rave about them in the UK and Europe for LD touring and I can understand why with their speed limits.
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:39 AM   #20
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixter
Fantastic review Johnny - really enjoyed reading it.

One question I have to ask of all you guys who own these rocketships (XX, 'busa etc) - is there ever a time when not being able to use the bikes' awesome power becomes frustrating? A good friend of mine owns a '99 XX and loves it. He's a very accomplished rider, and finds the 'Bird fits his bill very nicely indeed. He's not especially quick on the bike, and doesn't really tap into its power reserves very often, if ever. I've often found that, within reason, the more often one can get onto full throttle and really use a bike's engine to the full, the more rewarding it can be to ride.

Maybe I'm looking for reasons to justify buying someting like a Blackbird, but if that's the case maybe it's not the bike for me?

I think that having a bike where I'd be riding it gently nearly all the time would become somewhat boring? It's a sincerely-asked question, and something which has bugged me for a while now.

Thanks for any ideas on the subject.

You could always go to the track. Thats the only way you'll (legally) see high speeds plus its a good way to get aquainted with it in controlled conditions. Otherwise I know a half dozen local roads that are straight and have little traffic.
My point is that the XX, like my k12s are great highway bikes. Not the best for around town (my k12 anyway) but once your on the open road they both can cover a lot of ground. There are no laws against acceleration either as long as burnouts or wheelies are not involved. Your merge with traffic times may vary.

Best,
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #21
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Handling and brakes.

I love the handling and brakes. Handling - very stable, responds well to lower body movement. Brakes - being linked, the bike squats flat rather than dives.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #22
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,259
Over 4 years since last post.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #23
MRHAPPY
GSIN

Oddometer: 1,119
i have never seen this before, nice read, thanks. i love mine
Old 08-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #24
iceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Nice post !
I'm going to look at one tomorrow...
Old 08-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #25
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,038
Side note: The Suzuki Hayabusa is named after a Japanese Hawk/Eagle, reputedly the fasted flying avian (at least in a dive).Then Honda comes out with the Blackbird. Any competitive connection? Well, the USAF had the SR-71 Blackbird, (all black, of course, and chronicled a bit elsewhere in ADV rider). It was the fastest aircraft so far and by a large margin. One of its long time bases was at Kadena AFB, Japan. It was called by the Japanese the Hayabusa, a moniker the SR-71 pilots picked up and sort of kept amongst themselves. Thus the Hayabusa/Blackbird, trickled down to motorcycles. Can't see any other connection.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #26
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird
Side note: The Suzuki Hayabusa is named after a Japanese Hawk/Eagle, reputedly the fasted flying avian (at least in a dive).Then Honda comes out with the Blackbird. Any competitive connection?
Actually the Blackbird was released several years before the Hayabusa. And hayabusa is the Japanese name for the peregrine falcon.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #27
sands
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Honda should have kept this bike in their lineup and upgraded it to compete with the busa performance....The blackbird certainly could of done this with some refinements.
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #28
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 5,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird
Side note: The Suzuki Hayabusa is named after a Japanese Hawk/Eagle, reputedly the fasted flying avian (at least in a dive).Then Honda comes out with the Blackbird. Any competitive connection? Well, the USAF had the SR-71 Blackbird, (all black, of course, and chronicled a bit elsewhere in ADV rider). It was the fastest aircraft so far and by a large margin. One of its long time bases was at Kadena AFB, Japan. It was called by the Japanese the Hayabusa, a moniker the SR-71 pilots picked up and sort of kept amongst themselves. Thus the Hayabusa/Blackbird, trickled down to motorcycles. Can't see any other connection.
Peregrine Falcons eat other birds.
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #29
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,259
Blackbird XX were made from 1997 to 2007 worldwide, just stopped being imported into US since 2003. Hayabusa came out in 1999 intended to dethrone the Blackbird as the fastest production motorcycle since 1997. Busa did managed to become the fastest production motorcycle, but that's about all it does. Power is useless without control, having ridden a 2005 Hayabusa over few thousand miles it is not as refined as my 98 Blackbird. Busa feels too wide to be nimble or agile as the XX.

Busa's power output seem to require more attention to keep the high speed travels under control, where as XX (or BMW K1200RS) is effortless in comparison, even considering my XX is carb'ed.

So far, I've put about 6800 mi. on my 1998 XX, it's in need of a set of tires, the weight of the XX seems to wear out the front wheel as quickly as the rear. Seems to be a good sign that the XX is well balanced, at least under my control.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #30
Svartfal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Funny for this to pop up again after so long. :)

I love my bird. I love lots of other bikes too, but every time I think of switching I know I'll have to give up something.

Why didn't you upgrade this wonderful creation, Honda!?! Instead we get the alien-looking VFR, and I don't know what to replace the CBR1100 with when the time comes.

Anything that looks as good is less comfortable or has less raw power. Anything as comfortable looks funny or is slower, and on it goes...

I admire bikes like the Triumph Sprint, but they don't offer anything I don't already have.

I've been dreaming about a Multistrada for it's versaitility, but it's fugly.

What's a guy to do? :)