Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #31
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartfal
What's a guy to do? :)
Keep the XX, ride it often, and maintain it well - it will last a very, very long time.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #32
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow
Keep the XX, ride it often, and maintain it well - it will last a very, very long time.
+1
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:45 AM   #33
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,401
Glad I found this thread.

I had a 99 Blackbird for a couple of years, then traded it in on a YZF1000R because my riding buds all had pure sport bikes!

I still miss the silky smooth engine of the bird and that offenhauser-like growl from 8000RPM up. Kinda wish I would have kept the bike now, but at the time I wanted to firm-up the suspension and back then there was not much aftermarket following for the the Blackbired, or so it seemed.

I had a love/hate relationship with the linked braking. It was scary as all get out if you went into a corner way hot and had to grab some extra front brake. I don't want my rear brake applying when I'm in that situation, thank you! Mostly the rider's fault for misjudging a corner, I know, but I prefer full control of front and rear brakes unless we're talking ABS. Never knew the CBS eliminators were available.

Lately, I've been very interested in the completely reworked 2010 Z1000, but if I were to see a 2007, low miles Blackbird for sale somewhere, it would definitely give me pause. I too thought it handled pretty darn well for its size and weight. Nowhere near as bad as the top speed champ from Kawi that it supplanted...what a boat that thing was!

tremor38 screwed with this post 08-06-2010 at 06:51 AM
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #34
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,401
Bump!

Anyone done suspension mods to their Blackbird? I really felt that's all the bike would have needed for me to keep it around....that and possibly the CBS mod.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #35
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Picked up this 03 XX about 4 months ago. It's an amazing machine. I tend to only take it out on longer rides however. It's just easier to hop on one of my smaller bikes for my short commute to work. Once I get on the Bird I tend to not want to get off of it for a loooooong time.

VTSteve screwed with this post 08-16-2010 at 10:24 AM
VTSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #36
gejparker
Road ADV

Oddometer: 10
I had a 2002 XX. Unfortunately I had to get rid of it because of gimpy (a.k.a old, beaten up) shoulders not liking the riding position.

But as far as performance goes, it was a pant load of fun. Sure it isn't the fastest every, but close. And as a previous note said, what a sound when wringing it's neck.

I now have a 2009 K1300GT. On the plus side, it is far more civilized. On the minus side, it is far more civilized. If only the XX had the creature comforts of the KGT, it would be absolute perfection. Not to mention, if only it was still in production.......

2009 BMW K1300GT
gejparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #37
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,290
^^^ A secured tank bag that you can lean against and rest your arms/shoulders would have solved your problem.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #38
Crow
Corvid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
^^^ A secured tank bag that you can lean against and rest your arms/shoulders would have solved your problem.
Add full body strengthening and stretching, with an emphasis on core strength.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #39
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I've got a set of Helibars on mine, and they really make a big difference. The only thing I don't find comfortable is that the pegs seem a little too high. There are lowering brackets availible, but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the cornering clearance.
VTSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #40
MRHAPPY
GSIN

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sands
Honda should have kept this bike in their lineup and upgraded it to compete with the busa performance....The blackbird certainly could of done this with some refinements.
the bird IS refined vs. a busa,, just not as fast,,my sstourer
Old 08-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #41
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 871
i'm assuming the carb'd bikes do as well as the FI versions? Is there a preference for one or the other?

this bike is high on the list of candidates i'll be looking at next spring. My brother just moved to a town very close to where the blue ridge parkway starts. I told him to expect me next summer. i'll couch surf for a few days so i can do deal's gap.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #42
Crow
Corvid

Super Blackbird Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett the nerd
i'm assuming the carb'd bikes do as well as the FI versions? Is there a preference for one or the other?

this bike is high on the list of candidates i'll be looking at next spring. My brother just moved to a town very close to where the blue ridge parkway starts. I told him to expect me next summer. i'll couch surf for a few days so i can do deal's gap.
All years of the Super Blackbird are great, but the later, injected models have desirable updates. I started a thread on CBR1100XX.org, posting many links to specifications, reviews and comparison tests, plus references to magazine articles. You have to create an account to access it, but I believe all the XX fans here will enjoy these resources.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #43
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,290
Personally, I don't see the advantage of FI Blackbird. I ride my XX infrequently, even have it sitting over 4 weeks in winter time with sub-freezing temp, my 98 carbed xx starts on the first try, never misses a beat. +17,000 mi. still without need of carb cleaning. Riding up to to higher altitude never seem to diminish its performance.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #44
Crow
Corvid

Some of the changes over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
Personally, I don't see the advantage of FI Blackbird. I ride my XX infrequently, even have it sitting over 4 weeks in winter time with sub-freezing temp, my 98 carbed xx starts on the first try, never misses a beat. +17,000 mi. still without need of carb cleaning. Riding up to to higher altitude never seem to diminish its performance.
This page gives a brief summary of the changes:

"If all motorcycle journalists were made redundant tomorrow the Blackbirdís the bike most of them would actually buy. With colossal power, an insane top speed, good handling and strong brakes, itís got the lot. Itís also beautifully put together; reliable and well finished. From 1999 on the bike got fuel injection rather than carbs and other minor changes including the HISS immobiliser. More minor tweaks in 2001 saw a higher screen, revised instruments and exhaust mods that Honda claimed boosted power and economy by 12bhp and 12% respectively."

Among the changes not mentioned are an improved proportioning (less rear, 1999) of the linked brake system and reduced emissions (fuel injection, catalyst).

Like I said, all years are good years.

This is my first injected motorcycle, though, and I'll never go back to carburetors.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #45
Crow
Corvid

Comprehensive list of the changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow
This page gives a brief summary of the changes:

"If all motorcycle journalists were made redundant tomorrow the Blackbirdís the bike most of them would actually buy. With colossal power, an insane top speed, good handling and strong brakes, itís got the lot. Itís also beautifully put together; reliable and well finished. From 1999 on the bike got fuel injection rather than carbs and other minor changes including the HISS immobiliser. More minor tweaks in 2001 saw a higher screen, revised instruments and exhaust mods that Honda claimed boosted power and economy by 12bhp and 12% respectively."

Among the changes not mentioned are an improved proportioning (less rear, 1999) of the linked brake system and reduced emissions (fuel injection, catalyst).

Like I said, all years are good years.

This is my first injected motorcycle, though, and I'll never go back to carburetors.

Here's a comprehensive list of the changes.