User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #46
squidhunter
suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer: 316
I'm blaming this thread for me getting this yesterday:

I traded my KLR straight across for it. LOVE this bike. It's gonna be my sport-tourer.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #47
sands
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Honda definitely should have kept this model in their line up...VFR ? Nope, I'd prefer the blackbird.
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #48
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,626
The low speed maneuverability is what killed the bird for me....I moved into Boston and it was a nightmare around town and after a 2 weeks I started bike shopping ending up at the DL650.

But that acceleration was addicting

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 08-29-2010 at 11:11 PM
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:45 AM   #49
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidhunter
I'm blaming this thread for me getting this yesterday:

I traded my KLR straight across for it. LOVE this bike. It's gonna be my sport-tourer.
A KLR for a 'bird? Good for you!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:47 AM   #50
Crow
Corvid

Just another pic.

A Honda engineer getting training in marketing and sales at the Soka City, Saitama, Japan, Honda motorcycle dealership.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:49 AM   #51
Crow
Corvid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
The low speed maneuverability is what killed the bird for me....I moved into Boston and it was a nightmare around town and after a 2 weeks I started bike shopping ending up at the DL650.
Yes, there are many better "in town" motorcycles. But, once out of town...
Old 08-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #52
cold_fire
Famous Head Scratcher

Oddometer: 289
Incredible engine the XX has, but what killed it for me was the (lack of) confort. A friend of mine lent me his for a ride a couple of months ago. Did about 400miles, 2-up. The engine might just be the very best I have ever ridden. Quiet and smooth up to 7000rpm, raw and hooliganic above. Managed a 140mph (155 indicated) till I ran out of highway.

That would have been great if the bike was comfy enough. It wasn't. After 150 miles (half highway, half canyon riding), my hands were sore. Not long after my back started to hurt. At about the 300 mile marker, I could not feel my knees anymore. My female friend on the back was complaining about the seat. I felt the reach for the bars was way too long (I'm 6'5", 32" inseam) for upstraight riding, but perfect for crouching. My Duc is way more confortable.

Oh yeah, and the mileage. I got 33mpg while riding in a very leasurely fashion, only once or twice exceeding 80mph. And I reguard the suspension as being substandard for the bike. Harsh and choppy. Granted, it was a 14yo. bike, but it's maintenance was done by the book.

It's just too bad that I never felt at home riding a Honda. The CBR is a tad too small, the VFR gives me ackes and pains in only 50 miles and the XX is not the mile-eater I was expecting.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #53
Crow
Corvid

Comfort, mileage and suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_fire
Incredible engine the XX has, but what killed it for me was the (lack of) confort. A friend of mine lent me his for a ride a couple of months ago. Did about 400miles, 2-up. The engine might just be the very best I have ever ridden. Quiet and smooth up to 7000rpm, raw and hooliganic above. Managed a 140mph (155 indicated) till I ran out of highway.

That would have been great if the bike was comfy enough. It wasn't. After 150 miles (half highway, half canyon riding), my hands were sore. Not long after my back started to hurt. At about the 300 mile marker, I could not feel my knees anymore. My female friend on the back was complaining about the seat. I felt the reach for the bars was way too long (I'm 6'5", 32" inseam) for upstraight riding, but perfect for crouching. My Duc is way more confortable.

Oh yeah, and the mileage. I got 33mpg while riding in a very leasurely fashion, only once or twice exceeding 80mph. And I reguard the suspension as being substandard for the bike. Harsh and choppy. Granted, it was a 14yo. bike, but it's maintenance was done by the book.

It's just too bad that I never felt at home riding a Honda. The CBR is a tad too small, the VFR gives me ackes and pains in only 50 miles and the XX is not the mile-eater I was expecting.
I find that aches and pains are more a result of a lacking of health and fitness than the ergonomics of most motorcycles. If your body is robust, both strong and flexible, you will be comfortable on most bikes. With a sporting motorcycle such as the CBR1100XX, core strength is required to take weight off the wrists. That, or a high speed, for wind support! ~laughs~

I'm 5'10", a fit 155 lbs, and have a 32" inseam. I find the XX to be very comfortable. I flew to northern Cali to purchase mine, had two short rides up there, then rode back to Arizona - 736 miles in 11 hours. The 'bird was more comfortable for that type of trip than any other bike that I've owned or ridden.

I've ridden friends' Ducatis, and each has been much more uncomfortable. The Monster 1000 - cramped legs. The 748 - I felt like I was riding a two by four, hands down and feet up. Two ST4s - legs still cramped, and hands still too low.

In all the reviews I've read of the 'bird, comfort was praised. A perfect example, from the August 2009 edition of Two Wheels Only magazine: "If riding far and fast is top of your agenda, the Blackbird still completely outclasses pretty much any other bike out there thanks to one of the most comfortable riding positions ever built. It's weird - whenever I see someone riding a Blackbird it always looks like they need longer arms and shorter legs but, when you're sat on one, nothing aches after hours in the saddle."

Suspension-wise, I'm very happy. A balance between comfort and sport.

Mileage-wise, I've seen a low of 35 MPG and a high of 46 MPG. On the trip home, mentioned-above, I spent much of the time above 80 MPH and the bike returned 43 MPG.

Not to deny your experience, certainly, but I wanted others to read another perspective.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #54
Crow
Corvid

Tweeks and additions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sands
Honda definitely should have kept this model in their line up...VFR ? Nope, I'd prefer the blackbird.
I agree. Honda could have tweeked the style, bumped capacity to 1200 cc, gone with Ohlins, and added their sport ABS. Plus, DCT could have become an option, along with hard luggage. Shaft? No need.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #55
cold_fire
Famous Head Scratcher

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow
I find that aches and pains are more a result of a lacking of health and fitness than the ergonomics of most motorcycles. If your body is robust, both strong and flexible, you will be comfortable on most bikes. With a sporting motorcycle such as the CBR1100XX, core strength is required to take weight off the wrists. That, or a high speed, for wind support! ~laughs~

I've ridden friends' Ducatis, and each has been much more uncomfortable. The Monster 1000 - cramped legs. The 748 - I felt like I was riding a two by four, hands down and feet up. Two ST4s - legs still cramped, and hands still too low.
I certainly am not a fit man, especially not in the upper part of the body. So that might explain part of my XX riding experience. However, the Blackbird I was riding had a double-bubble screen which sent all the airflow straight into my helmet. And I don't like that on a sport bike. I prefer the airflow to hit my upper part of the torso, leaving the helmet in clean air. That's why I love my ST4. Above 50mph I don't have to use any muscle to keep the weight off my wrists. The CBR 600 F4 that I've also ridden for about 250 miles was similar, very comfy above 55-60mph, but I found the footpeg positioning very strange, like sitting on the toilet and not very roomy.

Nevertheless, I did loved the XX in a very squidish, hoonish way. The power is intoxicating, the engine can pull the bike in any gear from idle, there are basically no vibrations to speak of and the bike feels light when leaned over.

cold_fire screwed with this post 08-30-2010 at 02:45 PM
cold_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #56
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,447
Corvid: I agree on core-strength & sport or sport tour bikes bikes, but I wonder about how that goes with aging. I'm 50+, swim 1.5 miles in 45 minutes everyother day, sometimes do yoga, and hike 5 or so miles (with 600 ft elevation gains) a day, and I consider myself fit. The other day I rode a road bicycle (definite sport bike posture) 35 miles and half-way through my lower back hurt, and my my wrists, my neck, too. Ten years ago this was a walk in the park ride for me as I was doing 50+ mile bicycle rides regularly (with elevation). I am wondering how, if I still have core strength (which I think I do) breaks down? 12 or so years ago I was perfectly happy riding a long day on a friend's '97 YZR-6F (sleeper sport bike) but I don't think I could handle that or a XX these days, even though I am probably just as fit, or close as fit as I was. If I may ask how old are you? Do you know what may "break down" decade to decade? Flexibility? I may have the aerobics down, and the strength, but the flexibility and elasticity?
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #57
Crow
Corvid

Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird
Corvid: I agree on core-strength & sport or sport tour bikes bikes, but I wonder about how that goes with aging. I'm 50+, swim 1.5 miles in 45 minutes everyother day, sometimes do yoga, and hike 5 or so miles (with 600 ft elevation gains) a day, and I consider myself fit. The other day I rode a road bicycle (definite sport bike posture) 35 miles and half-way through my lower back hurt, and my my wrists, my neck, too. Ten years ago this was a walk in the park ride for me as I was doing 50+ mile bicycle rides regularly (with elevation). I am wondering how, if I still have core strength (which I think I do) breaks down? 12 or so years ago I was perfectly happy riding a long day on a friend's '97 YZR-6F (sleeper sport bike) but I don't think I could handle that or a XX these days, even though I am probably just as fit, or close as fit as I was. If I may ask how old are you? Do you know what may "break down" decade to decade? Flexibility? I may have the aerobics down, and the strength, but the flexibility and elasticity?
You seem to be doing well!

I'm 47, and perform Meridian exercises (stretching) every morning, three circuits of calisthenics twice per week, and one good hike per week. Plus my work, work around the house, and four year old son add to the activity level. But, I know what you're saying: more aches and pains now than before.

We each have to customize our nutrition, activity and rest patterns to best support our health and longevity.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #58
squidhunter
suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer: 316
Ok, comfort-wise I was pleasantly surprised with the XX. Coming off a KLR and going to the XX was a big change. I was expecting it to be less comfortable than the KLR, but on the 300 mile ride home, I found the XX to be MORE comfortable than the KLR. I'm not in shape. Im about 40lbs overweight. I dont have the best upper-body and Im about as flexible as a damp 2x4. But I was comfortable. Go figure.

I got the XX as a SPORT-touring bike. It's not as agile as a 600 and I dont expect it to be. It's too long and heavy to be a true sport-bike and it doesnt have cutting-edge suspension or brakes. But it'll run circles around a FJR or Connie or ST1300 or other regular sport-touring bikes. Not to mention it'll do it in comfort and style with more power than this mere mortal can ever fully utilize. I like it. I think I'll slap some luggage on it and ride the piss out of it.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:20 PM   #59
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow
Yes, there are many better "in town" motorcycles. But, once out of town...
The big issue is where I was had pavement with a rut every 100-200 feet and with the blackbird suspension it was very noticeable. That first ride around Boston on the V-Strom was amazing....a holy shit moment that a bike can feel great in the city.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 PM   #60
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,447
I've never owned a bike with more than 750cc but ever since the Blackbird came out I've been wondering...I made (or make) all sorts of excuses not to "go there", like lean forward/lowish bars and an appetite for rear tires. But Heli Bars would solve the ergo's and when I see what they go for used, the tire thing is less of an issue, as the lesser cost, in a way, subsidizes tires. I'm getting to the point in my life I realize I've never owned a top shelf bike. Sure, I've had a few BMW K75's and a F650, but somehow they can't compare. I'm talking about massive power in a throughly compentent and sane chassis. I'm old enough not to squid out on such a thing and would completely appreciate the power and capabilities. I'm thinking growing old I may never have the chance to ride/own something like this.

So, say at crusising at 75-80, (loafing on this bike) what's the gas mileage? With sane accelleration and keeping the cruise speeds at the above mentioned pace about how long might a tire last? If that's how I ride, at elast most of the time, is this bike complete over kill? And yes, I suppose the saying "if you have to ask you can't afford it" might apply, but I'm curious.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote