Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #76
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO
Does this motorcycle have the same engine as the CB1000 (The Big One)?

Is it this one or the Hurricane?
"It's 1137cc engine was derived from that of the CBR900RR FireBlade, with capacity increased to 1137cc and two balance shafts to reduce vibration." MCN, Superbikes: 40 Glorious Years
Old 09-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #77
iceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
I never saw a naked Blackbird before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...52b63d1c#v4-37
Old 09-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #78
Crow
Corvid

Oh, no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman
I never saw a naked Blackbird before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...52b63d1c#v4-37
Somebody plucked off the wings!

Actually, there's an AdvRider thread on the proper, naked, Blackbird, the Honda X-11 (photo below).

Old 09-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #79
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Regarding a few posts and question above.

Mileage, riding nicely I get 44-46mpg. Have gotten as low as 21 when being naughty.

I have LSL superbike bar mounts (tubular handle bar kit), Buell pegs, a corbin seat, and a ZG touring screen. Pretty dang comfy set up like that. My mileage record is 1060 in 18 hours on it, and that was with the stock seat.
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #80
Constipated Face
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Th stripped-down Blackbird looks like a mess.
Constipated Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #81
Ron In Buffalo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Nice thread=== I bought my BB May of this year. This is most fun I have had in years with my clothes. I am 6'1" about 220 lbs & 54 yrs old. I found the ergo a lil' cramp. But in July I put on LSL bars and peg lowering kit and it fits like a glove. I have done a cple of 600 miles days and I have no problems. So far this yr I have put on over 4500 miles on it. This bike is one of the best bargains if you are looking for a sport/touring bike. Emphasis on Sport. If you havn't ridden one you wouldn't understand what a Rush it is to flogg one of these machine and on the other hand it is a docile and fun mike to ride touring. Ron
Old 09-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #82
roadburner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Couple things I would like to add. I ride a 2002 blackbird. The stock tire size on the rear is a 180, not a 190 as indicated earlier. My experience has been if you run super sticky tires, don't expect much rear tire life. I got around 2000 miles out of the last rear and it wouldn't pass inspection. Currently running Pirelli Angel ST's and will be thrilled if I get 5,000 miles out of them. I ordered the heavyweight rear tire, so we'll see how it goes. Currently have about 500 miles on these Pirelli's and no problems to report.

As far as comfort goes, it's not a pure sportbike so you do sit up a little, but not much. The bars on a VFR are higher, and a common mod is to add VFR bars or helibars. The pegs are also high. I'm 6'2" and in decent shape and after about 100 miles, I need a break. My hips tend to cramp from the high pegs. The stock seat is pretty comfortable. I never get numb butt, nor does my wife when she rides on the back. My wrists never hurt, but sometimes I'll get neck pain on really long rides.

Overall, it's a very nice machine, but the power is definitely overkill. There are not many roads around here in southwestern Pennsylvania where you can open it up. You just run out of road really fast. It's so smooth that you often don't realize how fast you are going. The power must be respected because you can easily break the rear tire loose. At 7k rpms, the bike really goes ape. I usually don't run the revs that high anyway, as there is plenty of power down low in any gear.

I've only done 1 modification which was adding heavy racetech springs to the front. I did this because I'm 220 lbs., and I ride 2 up as often as I can. Asfar as 2 up goes, it's really a nice ride. My wife is small, so maybe that helps, but the bike is rock solid stable.

The linked brakes work really nicely. I liked them the first time I rode it. The front end never dives. I have read many complaints about not being able to make proper brake adjustments mid-corner, but I haven't run into this problem. I try to set entry speed correctly before turning and limit corrections. I have had to make a few emergency corrrections in corners before (due to animals, debris, etc.) and did not have any problems.

As far as fuel consumption goes, I average around 39-40mpg.

Overall it's the best bike I have ever ridden. It strikes a decent balance between comfort and sport, although it leans more toward sport. What I like best is its smoothness and the intoxicating acceleration.

I wouldn't recomend it to anyone with little to no riding experience, or to someone who has never owned a sport bike. It's just too fast and heavy.
roadburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #83
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadburner
I wouldn't recomend it to anyone with little to no riding experience, or to someone who has never owned a sport bike. It's just too fast and heavy.
I concluded the same thing a couple of weeks ago and abandoned my search for a Blackbird. It only took about 10 seconds or so on one before I realized I needed an intermediate step before taking on anything in the XX's class. That was a sad moment for me, especially because it's the only Japanese bike that has ever made me lust for it. I "settled" for a VFR but I can already see that it was a wise decision.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #84
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
I rode an '02 VFR for a few years and considered moving up to the XX. One came up for sale locally and we went and had a look. I was very surprised at how much it felt like the VFR. The wife got on the back for a test fit and she agreed. I still look at local CL ads for Blackbirds. Maybe someday...
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #85
roadburner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreMrNiceGuy
I concluded the same thing a couple of weeks ago and abandoned my search for a Blackbird. It only took about 10 seconds or so on one before I realized I needed an intermediate step before taking on anything in the XX's class. That was a sad moment for me, especially because it's the only Japanese bike that has ever made me lust for it. I "settled" for a VFR but I can already see that it was a wise decision.
I don't think you settled at all. The VFR is a really nice motorcyle. In fact, that was the bike I wanted in the first place. I had a Super Hawk, and I wanted another Honda with a bigger seat for better 2 up riding.

I had a deal all lined up on a brand new (left over) red white and blue VFR, when I found a used low mileage blackbird. The difference in cost was what made me get the XX.

Nothing wrong with the VFR. And it sounds really cool.
roadburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #86
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
In case any of you are interested... Here are a whole bunch of photos of my brother, old man and I riding a Blackbird at Bonneville last month:

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/...c,56897.0.html

Top speed for the week: 180 on the 3-mile course. We left happy.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #87
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadburner
I don't think you settled at all. The VFR is a really nice motorcyle. In fact, that was the bike I wanted in the first place. I had a Super Hawk, and I wanted another Honda with a bigger seat for better 2 up riding.

I had a deal all lined up on a brand new (left over) red white and blue VFR, when I found a used low mileage blackbird. The difference in cost was what made me get the XX.

Nothing wrong with the VFR. And it sounds really cool.
Believe me, the VFR is the better bike for me, and I seriously doubt I will ever be a good enough rider to need another machine. Want, maybe, but not need. For me, the VFR is probably as close to perfect as a bike can get.

Got me over my desire for Sprint ST, too.

Enjoy that 'Bird, Roadburner!

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #88
Crow
Corvid

Sport Rider, August 2010

Good, recent article: Honda CBR1100XX 1997-2003 Honda CBR1100XX
Old 10-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #89
Crow
Corvid

Feedback from friends.

I went riding with some friends this past weekend, and exchanged rides with two of them. One, a rider of an Aprilia Futura (I had ridden this motorcycle once before, and among the many other bikes he's owned are a BMW K1200RS and a Kawasaki ZX-11). The other, a rider of a Honda Superhawk (I had not ridden this motorcycle before, and among the many other bikes he's owned are Ducati's ST4 and 748 - both of which I've ridden - and a Honda VFR700). Their reaction to the XX? I'll paraphrase some comments.

"That thing feels like it was made by NASA."

"That's not an internal combustion engine. There's no internal combusting going on there. That feels like a nuclear engine. The bike hums."

"I could have a lot of fun on that...and get into a lot of trouble, because it's so smooth and powerful."
Old 10-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #90
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow
I went riding with some friends this past weekend, and exchanged rides with two of them. One, a rider of an Aprilia Futura (I had ridden this motorcycle once before, and among the many other bikes he's owned are a BMW K1200RS and a Kawasaki ZX-11). The other, a rider of a Honda Superhawk (I had not ridden this motorcycle before, and among the many other bikes he's owned are Ducati's ST4 and 748 - both of which I've ridden - and a Honda VFR700). Their reaction to the XX? I'll paraphrase some comments.

"That thing feels like it was made by NASA."

"That's not an internal combustion engine. There's no internal combusting going on there. That feels like a nuclear engine. The bike hums."

"I could have a lot of fun on that...and get into a lot of trouble, because it's so smooth and powerful."
A friend who rode my XX said afterward that the world felt much smaller while he was riding it.
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote