Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #16
ThorH
BMW R1200GS

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
rode the white rim clockwise partialy yesterday & fully counter-clock on sat. there is basicly one road so getting lost is near impossible. buy charles wells book and a latitude 40 moab west map.
How long did it take you? And on which bike? (Or I hould rather ask, how long do you think it will take a group of F650s with mixed riders skills?)
ThorH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #17
Spat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
I think this is the hill
How 'bout a clue where this big sandy is on the WRT?
Going out in April and I'll be working this challenge on an 1150 GS. Camping on the north end of the white rim trail by the river so at east we will have time to play.

Thanks for the tracks, ran it on google earth and it looks like a kick.

Spat

Red Green: You ever see one of these? It's called a GPS, this thing uses satellites to tell you where you are, which means that every man can have a five-hundred-dollar reason not to ask for directions.
Spat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #18
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorH
How long did it take you? And on which bike? (Or I hould rather ask, how long do you think it will take a group of F650s with mixed riders skills?)
on the klr. took about 5 hrs. it's sandy in ALOT of places. knobbies are needed. lower your air pressure! tourances, etc. would suck. 3 major climbs/descents (hardscrable, murphys & mineral bottom). i think riding it clockwise would be easiest.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #19
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spat
How 'bout a clue where this big sandy is on the WRT?
Going out in April and I'll be working this challenge on an 1150 GS. Camping on the north end of the white rim trail by the river so at east we will have time to play.

Thanks for the tracks, ran it on google earth and it looks like a kick.

Spat
that's looks like murphy hogback heading clockwise (east side).
though it could be the west side. the east side is steeper so riding up/clockwise is easier.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #20
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,209
Murphy's Hogback. This shows what you would have to go up if you were going clockwise (we were going counter-clockwise and just came down). It can get very torn up by all of the sag trucks supporting the mountain bikers (you can see them starting up the climb). The trucks can create DEEP ruts filled with deep powdery sand since they usually just stand on the throttle all the way up.

The amount and severity of the sandy conditions can vary a LOT over short periods of time depending upon traffic and weather. When we did it early last May, there was a lot of sand in some of the dry washes on the "west" side. We went counter-clockwise to have most of the sand earlier in the day. On the day we did it, I would not have wanted my 1150GS with or without Tourances at all due to all of the sand at that time. The DR650s were perfect!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 02-27-2007 at 03:25 PM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:33 PM   #21
ilvecchio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
The hill pictured is Murphy's Hogback and it is steeper than it looks. There are some rock steps near the top and that is probably what ate the GS's sump. On the other hand the views from the top of the Hogback are spectacular and it is a nice place to wait for help if the weather is good. Another somewhat technical hill is Hardscrabble. Both of these hills are downhill counterclockwise and uphill the other way. Except for these two hills, the trail is pretty easy. Depending on the weather, you could run into deep sand, especially around Potato Bottom, or mud. The scenery is classic "western movie" and well worth the trip IMHO. Hope you have a great time.
ilvecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #22
ilvecchio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
The speed limit is 15 mph on the White Rim Trail and the total length is approx 100 miles, so that translates to about 7 hours. Many folks have done it in less time and, of course, your chances of being stopped are slim. I did talk with one group who were questioned by the ranger as they exited early in the afternoon. They admitted that they had done the entire trail and the ranger quickly figured out that there weren't enough hours of daylight for them to have followed the speed limit. IIRC, they were let off with a warning. If you decide to take it slowly, you won't be bored with the scenery.

Having done part of the trail on my GSPD and completed the trip twice on a mountain bike, I will make my standard plea for being considerate of the mountain bikers you will probably encounter.
ilvecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #23
DAKARDINO
n00b

Oddometer: 3
We did the WRT 2 springs ago at Easter time. We went clockwise and were 2 up on a DR650 and 2 up on a XR650L. The road at that time of year was mostly solid with only some bad sand at Potato bottom. The climbs were rocky but with no mishaps. It took us about 10 hrs. The scenery is out of sight, stop and enjoy the views.
My wife and I were 60 at the time, so if you 650GSrs have any experience at all, you will have a blast. Good Luck
DAKARDINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #24
ThorH
BMW R1200GS

Thanks for the good info. We will have a knobbies only, no noobs and no bragging to park rangers policy for this one. Hope they aren't GPS savvy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvecchio
I will make my standard plea for being considerate of the mountain bikers you will probably encounter.
Revenge time, finally! (A couple of months in any European city, and you'd understand...)
Old 02-28-2007, 11:40 PM   #25
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Monte Wells at www.OTBPmaps.com has put together a very detailed set of maps that match up with GPX waypoint files. Pretty much covers all ATV, Jeep, dualsport routes in SE Utah. Also matches up with the Chuck Wells books. Waypoint files are all free. I don't know of a more comprehensive source for Utah.

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:01 AM   #26
ThorH
BMW R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroute
Waypoint files are all free.
Thanks, it looks very good. But I couldn't find any free waypoint files, only with purchased maps? As each of the maps only covers a small area, it quickly adds up at $13 - 20 ea.

Have you tried them, are they good? Which ones are best suited; the ATV trails maps or the Jeep trails maps? I would think they were mostly the same trails, how do they differ?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #27
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,209
Quote:
I will make my standard plea for being considerate of the mountain bikers you will probably encounter.
It would be nice if they would reciprocate by occasionally pulling over or just going single file instead of riding in a group and blocking the whole trail.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #28
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Thanks, it looks very good. But I couldn't find any free waypoint files, only with purchased maps? As each of the maps only covers a small area, it quickly adds up at $13 - 20 ea.

Have you tried them, are they good? Which ones are best suited; the ATV trails maps or the Jeep trails maps? I would think they were mostly the same trails, how do they differ?
The maps are very good and you'll probably make more use out of the Jeep ones than the ATV. They match up with the Chuck Wells books. Waypoint files can be accessed at www.GPXchange.com. Just use the Geofinder and zoom in on Moab area. Once you zoom in far enough you will see waypoint files by Monte Wells. Those are the ones you want.

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:00 AM   #29
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 770
Get this book

It has everything your looking for. In fact I used it on my ride to Top of the World last weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Backroad...6703145&sr=8-3

Todd-Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterhk
Hi,

I'm wondering if anybody has trails or dual sport rides in the Moab area. Looking specifically for Top of the World and White Rim...

Thanks,
Brian
Old 04-16-2007, 08:49 AM   #30
Teeds
Don Quixote

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
It would be nice if they would reciprocate by occasionally pulling over or just going single file instead of riding in a group and blocking the whole trail.
Dang, you beat me to it ... although I just found this thread.

We followed a couple of mountain bikers for a few hundred yards and the guy on the LEFT should have yielded, but he didn't. He just kept riding along being a complete ass.

I ride street bikes, mountain bikes, and motorcycles. There is always one or two in every crowd that is bound and determined to succumb to their passive agressive tendencies.

It took us about 6~7 hours and we piddled. We rode clockwise and neither hill was difficult. There were spots that were bad and Hogback was long.

The funny part was meeting the couple about half way up the hill who appeared to be on a day hike. We never saw an unattended vehicle, so they
A) could fly
B) had hidden their vehicle very well or
C) are just now reaching the end of the trail after depending on the generosity of strangers for the entire trip.
we are NOT human beings having a spiritual experience, rather we ARE spiritual BEINGS having a human experience - johnjen
Teeds is offline   Reply With Quote