User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #1861
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,012
I'd go with a disk lock.

Screwing with a man's chair, why that be a hangin offense.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:19 AM   #1862
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
Morning Dale-
Nothing to report in the weather, thank goD, and I haven't looked outside for what birds be representin'. I have been fascinated by birds mobbing, lately. First LBJs mobbing a crow, then the crow diverting to mob a hawk, after the LBJs gave up on the crow. Everyone has some one who gives them the ass.
Picked up a book yesterday that the Berry, "50 great Spiritual Writings" all the usual suspects, but no Ghengis Kahn. How spiritual is that?
Be safe, take care with your beautiful family.
You are in my prayers and thoughts.
Ed

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:08 AM   #1863
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,960
Morning Dale

Just got up and am getting my daily dose of this wonderful thread. So when are you and the family going to feel like going out for lunch or dinner? I'd love to see your new quickie in action.

Here's a thought. Every Wednesday there is a live outdoor concert over here at Port Warwick from 6-8 pm. We usually sit outside, enjoy the evening, drinking wine and picnicking with friends. You are more than welcome to join us if you want to get out! The grassy square is always covered with kids running amuck. Eli would love it. Ken Hodge usually stops by too. Let me know if you are interested in coming over and I'll get you directions.

It is a beautiful day over here. I love it when it is cool like this.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:38 AM   #1864
The Dude Himself
Hooked on Dirt!!

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Not a bad idea.

I had one on a scoot I used to have. Scared the SNOT out of a poor kid who jostled it one day.
An offense for sure, but I'd be the first idgit to put all thoughfulness aside and run it Evil-kenevil style off the high-dive. I can see why you wouldn't trust it around small children.
The Dude Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:13 AM   #1865
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode
Good Morning Dale,

Maybe I'm going to see little ducklings soon?
Difference in geographic locations is interesting, most ducklings around here are teenagers already! Gooslings, too.

Noticed you're going to MOA - I'll be staying in Shelburne Falls near the Shelburne Museum, maybe I'll see you there. Although the BMW's are gone and I'll be on a VStrom....

Marc
Old 06-07-2006, 05:18 AM   #1866
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Himself
An offense for sure, but I'd be the first idgit to put all thoughfulness aside and run it Evil-kenevil style off the high-dive. I can see why you wouldn't trust it around small children.
When I was a kid a friend's mother (who was a nurse) took us to work one evening at the local hospital. We wandered around and found a bunch of wheelchairs in the geriatric wing. We ended up racing each other in those chairs all up and down those long hallways. The old people loved it --- more excitement than normally goes on there, I guess.

So yeah, I would have been one of the little snots "just trying out" the chair, because anything with wheels is cool.

You could do what the local police do with their bicycles and use a pair of handcuffs to attach it to something, or to lock the wheel to the frame. I'm sure any number of adv people are in law enforcement and could set you up with a professional set of "chair locks" (and even more probably have a spare set in the bedroom.... ).
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:32 AM   #1867
southshore650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB
+1 and nice to meet you too!

glad to hear of your recovery, also. do you know what your original diagnosis was and do you mind if I ask how long your return took and what, if any, specific rehabilitation did you find helpful?

thanks for being here and sharing your time with us!

(FYI - Macushla is also on Team Quickie but she doesn't post much these days!)

Cheers,
Dale
i had what they called an "incomplete sci" they fused my "t4-t5" i think. i didnt sever my sc just bruised it but they said that it cant heal...once its messed up, its messed up. so they werent sure if id walk, but i could twitch my big toe about a week after surgery so they said that was good. i got TI rods on both sides of my spine with hooks on em holding everything together. and i got TI nails in my legs.... im like bionic man only slower.

as far as rehab goes... i was using the parallel bars about 3 months after surgery. and was walking with crutches soon after that. the one thing i remember was the worst part of the whole ordeal was my BM's it was so hard to stay regular, and the pain meds made it worse. my whole time while in rehab i maybe had 2 percocets. stay away from the pain meds as much as possible they really clog you up. but on the other hand ive never had the "burning leg" sensation so i know nothing of the pain you are going through...

ive had days where i didnt want to get out of bed and just wanted to give up (i had a problem everytime i got outa bed i passed out) but you just gotta think about all the people rootin for ya and "just do it" keep up with the PT man any kind of progress is awesome and i look forward to reading more reports of your progress.
southshore650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:15 AM   #1868
southshore650
Adventurer

Quote:
With my C5 injury I was a temp quad ... and then during recovery went through the "BURNING" period ... it was agony, reduced me to tears, literally ... don't remember what the drug load was then ...

With my L4 injury right now, done the heavy drug load that totally messed my bowels. Could pee normal, but sitting down on the loo was a killer given the height of the loo ... and to actually have a BM was a struggle. Fortunately the meds messed me up so much that it only happened every 3-4 days. Which was scary at first ... then a relief as it meant I didn't have to struggle with sitting on the loo.

My PT, Jennifer, is like Dale's Reesa ... she busts my tail, but I really like her as a person, ... though I'm both happy and yet dreading todays in-water PT session, I know she's got some new exercise up her sleeve to torture me with.
yea the PT's are a PITA. i was so rude to mine... when i was inpatient care they would wake me up in the morn all perky and "wake up sunshine" and id be like "f u " the only good thing was they were cute and around my age so it was fun to work with them....but i was such a jerk to them id swear and tell them to go fly a kite, but they always helped. god bless em'

these are cool and im sure youve already seen them but it would be a good way to get outa the house for a while and go work up a sweat.
http://secure.srginc.biz/search_list...?source=google
Old 06-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #1869
southshore650
Adventurer

its all about mind over matter

if you dont mind.... it dont matter.

the hand bike might be an option for Dale but if i were him i would make a traditional bike a goal to shoot for. i ride my mtn bike alot and it has helped me gain strength in my legs. i cant handle the high impact of jogging/treadmils so the low impact of cycleing is great for my legs
Old 06-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #1870
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,291
Blowout!!!!

I just had a blowout at work.

Loud...sounded like a gunshot. I think people jumped 3 feet outta their chairs.

Glad I have a flat kit (levers, patch kit, co2 inflator)--but the innertube was destroyed. Took a replacement tube to get me rolling again.

PIT STOP!!!!

People just sorta stared as I pulled the right wheel, stripped off the tire, etc. All that bicyling (and flats...) experience came in handy.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #1871
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Anyone time you?

Anyone place bets on how fast you could fix it?

Did you win the pool?
SWMBO looks over at me and says, "got your flat kit?"

and I proudly say "yep, right here in the pack" (that blue hip bag that's on the back of my chair).

She doesn't miss a beat. "Got a pump with you?"

It aint' in the Jeep, either.

She runs to the local REI, get the inflator. And picks up a spare tube.

Which, of course, I had left out of the pack after cleaning it out the other day.

Moral of the story: keep ALL the flat stuff in the hip bag.

As for pit time...I fumbled with the remount but probably less than 3 if you took out the part where I was explaining it to coworkers. 10 minutes if you include the yakkin' about it.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #1872
tuumi
KLR -> Sprint

Oddometer: 415
Those who frequent this thread should go here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143637

This happens too much
tuumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #1873
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Quote:
I just had a blowout at work.

Loud...sounded like a gunshot. I think people jumped 3 feet outta their chairs.

Glad I have a flat kit (levers, patch kit, co2 inflator)--but the innertube was destroyed. Took a replacement tube to get me rolling again.

People just sorta stared as I pulled the right wheel, stripped off the tire, etc. All that bicyling (and flats...) experience came in handy.
I would have thought an experienced cyclist such as yourself would ride on sew-ups. I am sooo disappointed, photog. Completley disillusioned, I don't know if I can go on.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #1874
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray of Sunshine
I would have thought an experienced cyclist such as yourself would ride on sew-ups. I am sooo disappointed, photog. Completley disillusioned, I don't know if I can go on.

Not only are they NOT sew-ups, they're cheap-ass 26X1.25 hybrid commuter tires that weigh 8.3 pounds a piece (not counting the cheapass schraeder-valve Kmart tubes which probably add another 18 pounds)...got 'em on sale at Performance Bike because I'm too broke to buy the kickass continentals that I so truly desire.

I would make a perfect KLR owner.

On a good note, I FINALLY got an appointment to get sized up properly for the new Team Quickie chair. Took almost 2 weeks. Next tuesday they'll figure out all the freaky little measurements and then it gets ordered!!!!

Like I like. Yep.

Photog screwed with this post 06-07-2006 at 07:21 PM
Old 06-07-2006, 07:35 PM   #1875
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Quote:

Not only are they NOT sew-ups, they're cheap-ass 26X1.25 hybrid commuter tires that weigh 8.3 pounds a piece (not counting the cheapass schraeder-valve Kmart tubes which probably add another 18 pounds)...got 'em on sale at Performance Bike because I'm too broke to buy the kickass continentals that I so truly desire.
I hear that

I would make a perfect KLR owner.
A KLR owner would have stuffed the tire with scrap paper from the trash can.

On a good note, I FINALLY got an appointment to get sized up properly for the new Team Quickie chair. Took almost 2 weeks. Next tuesday they'll figure out all the freaky little measurements and then it gets ordered!!!!
Maybe after you buy the bacon, you can get some decent tires?