User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #2461
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,045

Rock on Dale...rock on!

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:43 AM   #2462
DustyJacket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Enjoy the time you get with the kids - it goes away too quickly and never comes back.

I am glad your legs are totally paralyzed - it must help to be able to move them and stuff. I am glad for you.

Any career plans?
IBA #28412

Bill & Pete Slay the Dragon - http://www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html

My web page : http://www.dustyjacket.com/mc/
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:06 AM   #2463
DeeGee
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,813
Totally speechless Dale I have sat here for well over two hours reading your story.

I know it has been said many many times before. You're a totally amazing human being, all the best for the future for you and your family.

Gav in the UK
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #2464
dogmantra
the White Shadow

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB
... as my son Eli likes to say when he wakes up:

"Nice sunny day!"

(anyone know where that quote comes from? )
I wish I knew. Caius, my three year old son says that exact same phrase almost every morning (regardless if the weather).

1968 BSA B-25 Starfire
dogmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #2465
FZ1 Matt
Better last than crashed

Oddometer: 207
Nope, you rock Dale! You are a true inspiration. Keep on keeping on!
FZ1 Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #2466
waterlilly
www.dualsportplus.com

Oddometer: 771
Dale
I have read some of your story, I having hope for you. I have 5 friends that are invloved in spinal cord research. check out their site.

www.goldenhorseshoemarathon.org They just hand cycled across Canada to raise awarness. or www.wheeltowalk.org

There goal is to walk again, the research tech is so amazing.

keep your spirts high you have many friends as I see on this board that are
there for you.
waterlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #2467
DaleB OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmantra
I wish I knew. Caius, my three year old son says that exact same phrase almost every morning (regardless if the weather).
it's from Bambi, a line from thumper the bunny.

---------------
'05 R12GS - in a wad
'04 LemFiddyGS - sold
'84 RM125 - sold
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #2468
Motociclista
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 13,570
Are you kidding me???

WE inspiring YOU?

Man, YOU are worth your weight in gold. YOU are a lesson to ALL of US to stop bitching and moaning and just get going.

Thank you Dale.

Best regards, Fred

Quote:
i'm not sure if i've said this enough...maybe only a buhjillion times...but YOU are the inspiration for ME.

having you all in the hospital with me the day before my spinal surgery, and the day after in the neuro ICU, and after that during rehab, and helping with funding and building (for those that made it) my ramps and decking...for all of it.

i do feel overwhelmed at times, no matter how hard i try to keep my head screwed on straight for Amy and the boys, it happens. usually late at night, trying to sleep with your legs feeling like they are submerged in hot electric quicksand, constantly trying to pull me under, to the floor, is more than a little bit difficult.

one cure, for sure, is to come here, and lurk a little. read some ride reports, check on who's riding what these days. and if i'm feeling brave, coming in to faceplant.

frankly, it is sometimes hard seeing what i was in all of you and in this place. i must admit that to myself and to all of you. it's hard, but it's good medicine. through it all i never felt alone and that has more than a little bit to do with you.

thanks again and again and again.

dale
Old 10-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #2469
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,067
Quote:

you all rock.

than
-D.
thanks but I, we think YOU ROCK.
Stay strong
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #2470
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,712
Hi Dale!!

I think I may have replied in this thread before, but I do not recall...I am gonna give my little bro (22 yoa) a link to this thread. Aug 3rd of this year, he crushed his L1 verterbrae riding an ATV. Surgeries went well, as did rehab...he is back home with my folks now, and adjusting to life...outpatient rehab 3x a week, and working on upper body at home on his own. His attitude is much the same as yours...this might sound presumptuous, but I made a t shirt for him, and would very much like to send one to you as well. When I saw my little brother lying there in the bed helpless, it killed me; I couldn't take his injuries away from
him and bear them myself...I guess the shirt was my way of expressing how I felt, what I thought of him, how I loved him, and how proud I am of him for handling such a catastrophic injury the way he did, and continues to do
so.

I am certainly adding you to my daily prayer list...

As for the shirt....

FRONT: (nicely centered, of course)

in-dom-ita-ble: adj. That cannot be subdued or overcome, as persons, will or courage; unconquerable.

BACK:

No matter the obstacle
No matter the pain
No matter the cost
I WILL OVERCOME

Dale, if you would like one (or 2 or 3....), please let me know. Would be honored to send them to you...just as a token of support. I can't know precisely what it is like, as I am not in your shoes, but I know what it is like to be the loved one of somebody who is...Godspeed Dale, and strength to you and your wonderful family. :)

Mike

(Cassius086@aol.com, or mwingler@northwoodassembly.com)
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #2471
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket
I am glad your legs are totally paralyzed - it must help to be able to move them and stuff.

Any career plans?
You wanna rephrase that? Because that sounds really fucked up.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:40 AM   #2472
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
It's amazing how much time you can spend at this site reading just about any thread and realize hours later you finished the damn thing...

Keep the good fight going Dale.
Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #2473
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,768
Good to hear from you Dale! Glad to hear that your legs are working a bit and that you can stand some. I don't know if I could have the kind of spirit you have if I was in the same boat, you're quite a guy!
Glad to hear that the wife and kids are doing great!
God bless you guy's!

See Ya!
Chris
'90 Kawasaki ZX11...'76 Kawasaki 900 Z1...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #2474
Coach
Coach

Oddometer: 102
Ural Ideas

Hi Dale,

Your idea of using a Ural Gear-Up has been rolling around in my head. The brakes are not a problem as I have designed a hydraulic hand actuator (my right foot doesn't work). The shift on the WWII gear box is stiff to say the least. But Jim at Raceway Services in Salem Oregon has come up with a hand shifter that works. It's on the right side of the tank. The suspension is OK if you limit the hits. My Gear-up has successfully done Mexico's Copper Canyon a number of times and done cross-country in deep sand, whoops and rocks. I'm in a seated position most of the time and the stock bench seat needs better foam.

As far as mounting from a wheel chair, go for it! In the beginning I used to hand press out of the chair with my left hand on the bar and right on the tank-- then pivot my butt to the seat. I'd put a strap around my right leg to lift it over the tank. I had to place my boots on the pegs by hand.

In the beginning I also had velcro on each side of the gas tank under my knees to keep my legs in place. Do you have any abdominal recruitment? There are no lateral supports on the Ural seat normally so you may need to build something but that shouldn't be too hard. Also, I used electrical stimulation to fire my abs-- hurt like hell but it was a necessary evil.

One alternative I was thinking about is for you to pull the sidecar off the frame and install a chair ramp. Then you could transfer from a slightly higher level from the right side. Either way, it's a time consuming process. It took me years of experimenting and failures to work it out. Now I can ride the world again so it was worth the effort.

I'm schedule to teach at next year's BMWMOA Rally in Johnson City, Tennessee. I'll throw my Ural in the trailer if you want to try it out.

So hang in there. Time is your friend as long as you keep the dream alive.

Your SCI Buddy,
Coach

Coach screwed with this post 09-18-2011 at 05:52 PM
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #2475
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,099
Hey Dale, if you ever wanna chat about home schooling shoot me a pm. I was home schooled and am currently at harvard law school so I figure it must have worked out ok

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote