Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2006, 01:22 PM   #1111
drcollie
Banned

Oddometer: 186
My Number is Up

Dale,

Hang in there.

34 years ago I experienced a similar accident, hit from behind (I was on a 1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro) and left for dead in the road by a hit & run driver in Illinois. Shattered from the hips on down. I had a long and very painful 2-year recovery, broken up hard but not to the extent that you are. I still walk with a limp and have a mangled left foot.

But I still ride.

Six months ago - two days after I test rode a GS1200 for the first time and fell in lust with it - the doc called and told me I was loaded in my gut with cancer and had "XXXX" time to live. Screw that....I need another doc.

Seven weeks ago today I had 60% of my liver removed, 15" of my small intestine, my gall bladder and 7 lymph nodes by one of the world's great surgeons at Johns Hopkins. He said got it all with the melon-ball scooper and I have what looks like huge shark bite on my belly to show it off. He said "go enjoy life".

Today I bought a brand new chrome yellow BMW GS1200 from Mortons BMW in Fredricksburg and plan to ride it to the West Coast in September and experience what all of you here have been doing with your bikes.

Never Give Up. GO FORWARD >>>>>>. The Human Body is an amazing structure and while you are in the dark throes of life right now, things will get better, and you will heal - perhaps never as good as you once were, but good enough to enjoy LIFE in some form or fashion.

Do not be just a survivor of your accident. Be a warrior. When in rehab and they tell you do to 10 repetitions, do 20 (if they'll let you). Push it. Never Quit, even when you have to take a break.

Be an Armor-Plated MF'er.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a boxer engine on the 'chair.

Duane Collie
Alexandria VA
drcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #1112
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcollie
Dale,

Hang in there.

34 years ago I experienced a similar accident, hit from behind (I was on a 1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro) and left for dead in the road by a hit & run driver in Illinois. Shattered from the hips on down. I had a long and very painful 2-year recovery, broken up hard but not to the extent that you are. I still walk with a limp and have a mangled left foot.

But I still ride.

Six months ago - two days after I test rode a GS1200 for the first time and fell in lust with it - the doc called and told me I was loaded in my gut with cancer and had "XXXX" time to live. Screw that....I need another doc.

Seven weeks ago today I had 60% of my liver removed, 15" of my small intestine, my gall bladder and 7 lymph nodes by one of the world's great surgeons at Johns Hopkins. He said got it all with the melon-ball scooper and I have what looks like huge shark bite on my belly to show it off. He said "go enjoy life".

Today I bought a brand new chrome yellow BMW GS1200 from Mortons BMW in Fredricksburg and plan to ride it to the West Coast in September and experience what all of you here have been doing with your bikes.

Never Give Up. GO FORWARD >>>>>>. The Human Body is an amazing structure and while you are in the dark throes of life right now, things will get better, and you will heal - perhaps never as good as you once were, but good enough to enjoy LIFE in some form or fashion.

Do not be just a survivor of your accident. Be a warrior. When in rehab and they tell you do to 10 repetitions, do 20 (if they'll let you). Push it. Never Quit, even when you have to take a break.

Duane Collie
Alexandria VA
Wow! You go Duane, tear the shit out of this life! My prayers with you, too.

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:49 PM   #1113
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray of Sunshine
Wow! You go Duane, tear the shit out of this life! My prayers with you, too.

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #1114
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
Dale,

Duane Collie
Alexandria VA
You go, Duane!!!!! Enjoy that new ride!
Old 04-05-2006, 03:04 PM   #1115
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,250
Great story Duane!

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #1116
1200ton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Dale,

Hang in there.

But I still ride.

Duane Collie
Alexandria VA

Duane I love your spirit, Don't give up Dont ever give up

Tony
1200ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #1117
Schnabeltier
CEO, the Brute Squad

Oddometer: 299
D&d

Okay . . . a question: Do all the guys with big cojones have names that start with D, as in Dale and Duane? Maybe it's a coincidence, but you're both inspirational nonetheless.

Keep at it, boys. We're watching -- and learning -- from you.

Best . . .
Schnabeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:52 AM   #1118
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,658
Good Mornin', Dale!
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:12 AM   #1119
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,413
Good morning, Dale.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:18 AM   #1120
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
Morning Dale live bravely
Ed

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:49 AM   #1121
LogikalOne
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Pictures

Good morning Dale,

If you've not seen Jeff's photo album, let me know;
I'll bring my laptop this am.

LogikalOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:04 AM   #1122
NoMystery
Jesse's Girl

Oddometer: 9,942
Morning Dale One day closer to being home!

How's it goin?

- - - the high - - - - - - - -

NoMystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:16 AM   #1123
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,927
Good morning Dale

You must be going crazy by now in that place. There is nothing worse that waiting..... I pity poor Resa with you the next two days.

It looks like it will be a beautiful weekend to go home!

See you soon.
jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:25 AM   #1124
cliffhanger
hasbeen

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB
i got fitted for my new wheeler yesterday!

getting quoted for 2:

quickie Ti/GT
kuschall airlite

the kuschall has better bearings and i hear rolls forever. can get some sweet aluminum mag rims too.

the quickie has allot more farkles available (like suspension) but is a little heavier (4lbs). it's also a tiny bit cheaper.

the kuschall doesn't have as much adjustability and is inherently less stable/easier to wheelie.

i'm leaning toward the quickie so i can gradually go from from over to under stable as my skills increase.

options on my list are:
-24" spynergy rims and hubs w/yellow spokes
-yellow frame/black apolstry and cushion
-rojo air cushion , low profile
-fold away push handles
-fabric guard (between wheels and pants)
-90 degree footbar with 2" inset and foot plate
-5" poly casters
-quick release swing away tubular arm rests (not sure if i'll ever use them but just in case)
-suspension package

that's about it.

my next bike was going to be a black and yellow K12R, so i figure i'll continue that theme!

cheers,
dale
Shouldn't this be over in the equipment thread?

Morning Dale Have a great day.
Neal
cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:51 AM   #1125
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Morning, Dale

I know how much everybody here cares about how I have to ride everyday in the rain in Calif this year.......Well, sunshine today I know it will make yur day that I'm dry for a change

Say'n hello and wish'n ya a great day from sunny calif
rad
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote