ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM   #1
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,306
How do you guys mouse-proof your bikes?

I rent an older home in Vermont, and while I'm lucky enough to have a garage, it's got plenty of places for critters to get in. I actually had mouse damage on my old VFR last winter, which resulted in a near $500 repair bill last spring to replace some critical wiring. I'd like to avoid that at all costs on my brand new Super Tenere, especially with all of its electronics and hiding places for the little bastards. I've heard various reviews on mothballs, cedar chips, traps, etc.... Popular opinion seems to suggest none of these tactics do a whole lot. Any ideas?!
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM   #2
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 615
haven't had much luck myself...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010821
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #3
mtrdrms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallbastid View Post
I rent an older home in Vermont, and while I'm lucky enough to have a garage, it's got plenty of places for critters to get in. I actually had mouse damage on my old VFR last winter, which resulted in a near $500 repair bill last spring to replace some critical wiring. I'd like to avoid that at all costs on my brand new Super Tenere, especially with all of its electronics and hiding places for the little bastards. I've heard various reviews on mothballs, cedar chips, traps, etc.... Popular opinion seems to suggest none of these tactics do a whole lot. Any ideas?!
Ride it all winter. It makes you a better person.

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM   #4
walterj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Trap a hungry cat in the garage with it

I put Tomcat in a dog-proof (because... I have dogs) enclosure in the garage and basement. Mice eat it, get real thirsty, then go outside and die looking for water.
walterj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #5
BabaAus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
You know those awful-smelling dryer sheets you can buy to put in your clothes dryer to make your stuff smell really obnoxious? Well, I go to the grocery store and buy the cheapest and most gawd-awful-smelling ones I can find and, when I put my bike up for the winter, I stuff the individual sheets all over the bike: under the seat, in around the triple-tree, in around the engine and anyplace I can find enough of a gap to cram one in. Then I put the cover over it and say "goodnight until Spring". So far it's worked like a charm. In fact, my friend whose barn I store it in has an antique car that the critters used to get into, too, and she adopted the dryer-sheets idea. Solved her problem.
BabaAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #6
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,254
I made a few of these to supplement regular traps. They work great. It doesn't matter if it gets below freezing. Antifreeze could drown them or nothing at all and they will die quicker than you'd guess. Luckily I have these in semi heated places so regular water works.

http://fivegallonideas.com/bucket-mouse-trap/

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #7
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I haven't had mouse problems with my motorcycles or ATVs but have been fighting them for years in my popup camper and outboard motors. I tried the dryer sheets they made a nest out of them. I tried ceder chips they made a nest out of them.
I wonder how this would work? http://www.cycleshell.com
shakeybone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #8
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaAus View Post
You know those awful-smelling dryer sheets you can buy to put in your clothes dryer to make your stuff smell really obnoxious? Well, I go to the grocery store and buy the cheapest and most gawd-awful-smelling ones I can find and, when I put my bike up for the winter, I stuff the individual sheets all over the bike: under the seat, in around the triple-tree, in around the engine and anyplace I can find enough of a gap to cram one in. Then I put the cover over it and say "goodnight until Spring". So far it's worked like a charm. In fact, my friend whose barn I store it in has an antique car that the critters used to get into, too, and she adopted the dryer-sheets idea. Solved her problem.
I did that with my boat, stored outside under a tarp. Stuffed the dryer sheets around the gas tank, in every opening where the molding is, under the dash, near the control box . . .

Not a single mouse, not a dropping in the boat in the spring. Anywhere.

As for bikes - in the garage, being worked on. Winter is the time to fix and replace everything broken over the riding season, silly. It;s not time for bikes to sit
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM   #9
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Mothballs

Mothballs in the ( Battery taken inside) battery box & under the tipped up seats has worked for me.

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:39 AM   #10
fluffdad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
so far mothballs are working for me in my shed with the small engines. I put them in random places then just left the open box on a ledge.
fluffdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:49 AM   #11
Knobbiethrower
ADV in ADK

Oddometer: 1,198
Mothballs and bounce dryer sheets strategically placed have worked for me in the past
Knobbiethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:05 AM   #12
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer: 1,088
Here is one I tried and seems to work. Peppermint oil soaked cotton balls. And boy, does the shed smell nice. Saw it in the Internet so it must be true.
Old Today, 11:23 AM   #13
AllBlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Put a screen over your air intake.
Otherwise the air box makes a great little mouse house that sends debris strait into your intake valves...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to slide across the finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting GERONIMO!!!"
AllBlak is online now   Reply With Quote