ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 02:54 PM   #1
2000RSV OP
Go Fast, Go Long

Oddometer: 2,071
Heading to NE - Security of Riding Equipment

Wife and I are heading to NE for a week of riding. There will be no big cities, but lots of stopping. My concern is stopping to hike some trails in VT, NH, NY, and Maine. Will need to change from ATGATT to shorts/shoes. Do not have enough lockable storage on the bike for both jackets/pants/boots/helmets.

Specifically, we will be riding up Mt. Washington, doing the Kancamagus Hwy, Bah Hahbah/Arcadia NP. Not expecting any difficulty on this portion of the trip as we can leave most of the stuff in the hotel while we hike Arcadia.

We will be heading south to Portland and will likely do the Mailboat tour (my wife's first time in ME). Leaving all the stuff at the bike in Portland does concern me. We will also be heading back through Upstate NY and will likely stop and hike in the Adirondacks.

What say the NE folks? Anything to worry about? Should I drag my trailer behind the bike for storage/security? Should I just get a bunch of cables to string/lock through our stuff while stopped?

Bike is a 2000 Venture. Thanks for your help.

Also, any other really cool things sights you would suggest?
2000RSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:39 PM   #2
Chico
Thief and Saboteur

Oddometer: 705
I say cables. Shouldn't take too much to make it safe enough.
Chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:03 PM   #3
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,749
Quote:
Should I just get a bunch of cables to string/lock through our stuff while stopped?
If you are worries about it, theft is a big problem when we used to haul scuba gear. PAC Safe is a nice of trade off between security/weight. They come in different sizes, but the big one will hold riding gear for two. We would then loop is around the bike frame. Folds down well when not in use

http://www.pacsafe.com/pacsafe-140l-...otector-1.html

Old Today, 04:15 PM   #4
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 461
Not likely anyone would steal any of it, but for your sense of security, just string a cable through it, padlock it all to the bike and stop worrying. Of course if someone REALLY wants any of your stuff, a cheap bolt cutter will get it for them. If any of your items feel irreplaceable, maybe you need some other better form of security so that you can relax and enjoy your trip...
Old Today, 08:07 PM   #5
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Over 99% of the time, I'd not expect a problem in those places.

Unfortunately, there's the other 1% of the time when a scumbag gets the bright idea to target a trailhead (and there have been incidents, although I've not heard of any recently, of entire trailhead parking lots getting scoured for valuables, with the damage to windows, locks and such exceeding the value of the items stolen).

I'd be comfortable enough with my gear shoved into an unlocked sidebox, and I'd be about as comfortable with it cable-locked to the bike. I'd be nervous leaving unsecured gear on the bike in plain sight and hiking for more than 30-45 minutes.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:37 PM   #6
2000RSV OP
Go Fast, Go Long

Oddometer: 2,071
Thank you all. I have one cable and will pick up a couple more. I have 4 small locks keyed alike for my KLR panniers that should work.

Look forward to sharing this ride with my wife and want to make sure nothing (that can be planned for) will spoil it.
2000RSV is offline   Reply With Quote