ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2007, 07:57 AM   #1501
BobbyC
n00b

Oddometer: 1,353
I took a quick ride up to Bear Mtn and Perkin's Dr. I was leaving Perkin's when I see a scene where 2 guys went over the side of the road, Ninja 750 and CBR600RR, about 15 ft down. The trees stopped them and their bikes from going down farther. Luckily both guys were ok and it seemed nothing was broken.

Some guys that stopped before me were able to get the CBR out. We tried to get the 750 out but there was about a 6" gash in the tank and fuel was gushing out so we laid it back down and left it down there.

The kid on the CBR had some bruises (knots) on his forehead but wanted to ride his bike home. I saw his helmet and told him that's not a smart idea. His helmet had a fist sized dent (cracked fiberglass) and lots of other deep gouges. The bike was barely running.

I stuck around helping to direct traffic until the ranger and cops came.

"I LOVE my bike!!!"
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #1502
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,792
America's Most Expensive Commutes

New York is nowhere to be found:

http://tinyurl.com/3b4vx5

But Bloomy wants to put an end to all that.

p.s. Nice save Perry!
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #1503
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyC
I took a quick ride up to Bear Mtn and Perkin's Dr. I was leaving Perkin's when I see a scene where 2 guys went over the side of the road, Ninja 750 and CBR600RR, about 15 ft down. The trees stopped them and their bikes from going down farther. Luckily both guys were ok and it seemed nothing was broken.

Some guys that stopped before me were able to get the CBR out. We tried to get the 750 out but there was about a 6" gash in the tank and fuel was gushing out so we laid it back down and left it down there.

The kid on the CBR had some bruises (knots) on his forehead but wanted to ride his bike home. I saw his helmet and told him that's not a smart idea. His helmet had a fist sized dent (cracked fiberglass) and lots of other deep gouges. The bike was barely running.

I stuck around helping to direct traffic until the ranger and cops came.
Hey Bobby,

I was at Lake Sebago yesterday and saw a cage run of the road, must've been related to the CBR guy. Shoulda called me, I could've helped winch them out.

My commute is $7 a day (includes gas and toll) on the bike compared to $25 (bus and subway) for public transportation, $50 if I drive the cage (toll, gas at 10 MPG and parking).
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:16 PM   #1504
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,880
NYC 2nd cheapest commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos

p.s. Nice save Perry!

"It's important to understand, though, that the least costly commutes tend to be accompanied by high housing costs. New York and San Francisco were among the cheapest in the country, at two and seven respectively and have some of the highest housing expenses and least affordable housing markets in the nation."

Aint that the truth. I'm lucky to have an only 10 minute commute. It takes longer to get my bike out of the garage and get my gear on so I hardly ride to work.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #1505
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,466
For a while I commuted to college via trains and buses. Cost me over $20 a day in transportation. I lucked out for 2 semesters, the first I set my classes up for Tuesdays and Thursdays and the next I had classes on Mon, Wed & Fri. Other times I had class 5 days a week and that ate over $100 out of my pocket every week. That was alot of money for a young college kid who also was not living with mommy and daddy and had to cover rent and other expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos

p.s. Nice save Perry!
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #1506
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
For a while I commuted to college via trains and buses. Cost me over $20 a day in transportation. I lucked out for 2 semesters, the first I set my classes up for Tuesdays and Thursdays and the next I had classes on Mon, Wed & Fri. Other times I had class 5 days a week and that ate over $100 out of my pocket every week. That was alot of money for a young college kid who also was not living with mommy and daddy and had to cover rent and other expenses.
Yeah, but you got "lucky" every night so stop complaining
Old 08-22-2007, 08:46 AM   #1507
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Came within one single vagina hair (sorry it sounds better than cunt hair) of going down in a very bad spot today.

I was zipping around Grand Central (you know - the tightest twisty NYC has to offer.... complete with oily surface since it's not exposed to the elements) heading south on Park ave today. Made that first tight right no problem, than leaned her down for the left and OHHH FUUUUCK, there goes my rear!

So much so my right foot comes off the peg and up (guess it looked like a road racer stunt or something) and I start to slide off the left of the bike. AT this point I'm thinking =guaranteed off any second, bike spins forward, I slide off with a pack of speeding cabs up my asshole, do not pass go go directly to hospital, bike totalled, blah, blah, blah.

But it didn't happen . The bike grabbed just in time, I get my feet back in her sides, and proceed to carve away again past a few more cabs like it never happened. Of course I'm shaking, of course the heart's pumping in my ear drums, but what the fuck.

Can't complain now can I?

Nice save Perry, good skills, and glad you're ok. I guess those are probably the best twisties on the island and I've been tempted to throw it around there a bit. You're right in that it never sees weather. Same with the island's best sweeper at the Battey Park Underpass, where I often crank it up. Now I'll think twice.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:26 PM   #1508
abenormal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
Same with the island's best sweeper at the Battey Park Underpass, where I often crank it up. Now I'll think twice.
I was noticing last week and this week the BPU is getting grey funk layers down the middle of both lanes, can't tell if it's dust or oil or dust over oil. I've been hewing tightly to the car tire tracks there and through the Brooklyn Battery. Even worrying about traction and holding religiously to a tire track line it's still easy to get the Hawk going faster than I can see around that corner. As tempting as it is to let it loose through there I have a foreboding feeling every time I do...

The uphill runs on the Manhattan Bridge are really oily in the middle of the lanes, too. I went over that in the rain the other day and you could see the water beading up on the grime layer.
abenormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #1509
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenormal
I was noticing last week and this week the BPU is getting grey funk layers down the middle of both lanes, can't tell if it's dust or oil or dust over oil. I've been hewing tightly to the car tire tracks there and through the Brooklyn Battery. Even worrying about traction and holding religiously to a tire track line it's still easy to get the Hawk going faster than I can see around that corner. As tempting as it is to let it loose through there I have a foreboding feeling every time I do...

The uphill runs on the Manhattan Bridge are really oily in the middle of the lanes, too. I went over that in the rain the other day and you could see the water beading up on the grime layer.
abenormal huh? when'd u join?

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #1510
bostonsr
Just weight

Dec. 05...damn

i guess i'm "black abe"

abe

Old 08-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #1511
bostonsr
Just weight

well, back from my trip to new england...was good to see urbancowboy and his bro as well as dr. rock....

too bad urbancowboy hated my bike...i found his GS to be fun in its own way.

a salt and battery...good fish.

on my way back south got caught in a monsoon from nyc to philly on the nj tpke...stop n go traffic plus rain equals me lane splitting. i had ZIPPY rain gear too. was soaked and cold when i got to the hotel. cute biker chick stopped to check on me under a bridge near exit 8....i was switching to my headphones in order to gps my way out of the soup.

she didn't have gloves so i offered her a spare pair i had. as she was remounting she tipped her bike over...thankfully she didn't try to save it but jumped clear. we set her bike back up and she was off.

thanks to UC, DR, and UC's bro for putting me up and keeping me company. the trip was so so after the first few days...not enough riding and too much drama in boston.

i'm back in new york this weekend...thurs through sun...post up if u guys are gonna be around.

abe

Old 08-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #1512
bostonsr
Just weight

jackie robinson is a pretty wicked little place to ride a motorcycle...u better have some cojones and a capable ride. i tippy toed through there a few times and pushed through once...i guess the thing is that it allows you to go unsafely fast.

as far as the battery park tunnel...having gone through there too fast once or twice....i don't mess with it anymore...70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120 all require more visibility through the turn than the concrete wall permits.

I HIGHLY recommend the ramp from N/B FDR to the Brooklyn Bridge...there's a two lane 270degree switchback ramp that you can see all the way through before committing to lean through...and you exit the turn in 1st gear right by a permanently posted HP unit with flashing lights. if you're on the outside of the lane you get your head right down near the fender/mirror of the cages next to you as you power out. scrubs the right side of the tire clear to the edge for just a moment. and that's only at 30-40mph.

yesterday i rode a 1994 Suzuki Intruder 1400...more fun than a barrell of monkeys.

abe

Old 08-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #1513
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
I HIGHLY recommend the ramp from N/B FDR to the Brooklyn Bridge...
That's a good one. Nice turn followed by good twist of the throttle after you come out of it and blast up the bridge.

Old Brooklyn Boy and I have been coming off the bridge on the Brooklyn side, taking the exit for the BQE, but instead of getting on the BQE, we take the street that runs south along the docs by the water. Great few cageless blocks at 10pm on a Tuesday where you can blast through to Atlantic Ave. (and I can try to keep up with OBB).
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #1514
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,124
In my late teens and early twenties we would race from the light on Pennsylvania ave. at the start of the Interboro (only newcomers call it the Jackie Robinson) to the end at the Grand Central. I made a few dollars doing that and usually not on the fastest bikes, but I has the biggest balls or maybe i was the stupidest. We did once lose a friend racing on there.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:58 AM   #1515
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
In my late teens and early twenties we would race from the light on Pennsylvania ave. at the start of the Interboro (only newcomers call it the Jackie Robinson) to the end at the Grand Central. I made a few dollars doing that and usually not on the fastest bikes, but I has the biggest balls or maybe i was the stupidest. We did once lose a friend racing on there.
Yeah, I remember when it was called the Interboro.... ah, those were the days....

You think riding a bike on the Interboro is scary, try doing it on a lifted Range Rover with bigger tires and w/o setting the caster on the front axle, now that's scary... the damn thing would wobble all over the place...