ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2007, 10:11 AM   #1516
goodhorsey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
I HIGHLY recommend the ramp from N/B FDR to the Brooklyn Bridge...there's a two lane 270degree switchback ramp that you can see all the way through before committing to lean through...and you exit the turn in 1st gear right by a permanently posted HP unit with flashing lights. if you're on the outside of the lane you get your head right down near the fender/mirror of the cages next to you as you power out. scrubs the right side of the tire clear to the edge for just a moment. and that's only at 30-40mph.
abe
be careful on that NB FDR section - cops have been ticketing there several times the past two months. i used to jam it up there, until luckily they only check for people NB, not people in the lane to the bb offramp.
goodhorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:16 AM   #1517
teeedubya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Hey guys,

After having some shitty weather this whole week I was thinking about what I'm going to do when the temperature drops. I currently commute to work everyday by bike and I was wondering what you guys do in terms of clothing. Do you guys just wear what you normally wear just have more layers under? I was thinking a one piece suit would be best, something like a field sheer.
teeedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #1518
Recht
Binge Thinker

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeedubya
Hey guys,

After having some shitty weather this whole week I was thinking about what I'm going to do when the temperature drops. I currently commute to work everyday by bike and I was wondering what you guys do in terms of clothing. Do you guys just wear what you normally wear just have more layers under? I was thinking a one piece suit would be best, something like a field sheer.
Aerostich Darien Jacket and pants. Jacket has nice ventilation in warm months, zip in fleece liner for cooler times, windblock electric fleece for the real cold. It is very water resistant as well. Get the back protector too.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #1519
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recht
Aerostich Darien Jacket and pants. Jacket has nice ventilation in warm months, zip in fleece liner for cooler times, windblock electric fleece for the real cold. It is very water resistant as well. Get the back protector too.
How does the Darien stuff do around the city in the summer? I'm guessing it's kinda brutal. Especially at stop lights, in traffic, etc.
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #1520
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDawg
How does the Darien stuff do around the city in the summer? I'm guessing it's kinda brutal. Especially at stop lights, in traffic, etc.
What stop lights?

What traffic?

I wear my Hello Kitty underwear under my jacket/pants.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #1521
Recht
Binge Thinker

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Pocket air conditioners. I'm cool.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #1522
tedski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Checking in...

I recently moved back to the tri-state area. I'm now stationed on Fort Wadsworth. I commute every day from Sayreville, NJ. Over the Outerbridge, across the island, to the last exit on the SIE (Lily Pond Ave). I start my commute at 6:30 every morning and head home near 4pm. If you see a silver Vstrom 1000 with full givi cases or a purple Kawi ZR-7S with a givi topcase, give a honk/wave. Also, some mornings I hit traffic from exit 12 all the way to exit 15... are there any decent routes I can take off the Staten Island Expressway to cut the commute shorter? I've spent my last 8 years in California, so I'm used to lanesplitting. Oh boy do I miss that.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #1523
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recht
Pocket air conditioners. I'm cool.
Great idea but don't use them if going on a date
Old 08-26-2007, 05:32 AM   #1524
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
shower at work.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #1525
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
Great idea but don't use them if going on a date
Are you talking about...

shrinkage?

Road with the roadcrafter jacket today (80 degrees, not sunny, very humid). Not too bad. I'll have to pick up an ice pack or 2, thanks for the tip.

Motorcycling IS a sport, right? So I guess I could sweat a bit...
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:15 PM   #1526
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Are you talking about...

shrinkage?

Road with the roadcrafter jacket today (80 degrees, not sunny, very humid). Not too bad. I'll have to pick up an ice pack or 2, thanks for the tip.

Motorcycling IS a sport, right? So I guess I could sweat a bit...
considering how slowly most NYC commuting is done...mesh gear would seem to be the best bet.

save the heavy stuff for the high speeds that offer better airflow and require better protection.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:04 AM   #1527
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,941
Thumbs down Removing Plates

From a local list:

I've learned the very hard way that a new enforcement policy is in
effect for motorcycles. If you remove your plates, you are in great
jeopardy of having your bike destroyed by the Sanitation Department.
The criteria for a vehicle to be destroyed as derelict is as follows:
1st - no plates
2nd - older than 8 years
3rd - any damage whatsoever - this means as minor as a dent or mild rust

My bike is a 1975 Norton Commando in excellent condition. DON'T RELY
ON THEM FOLLOWING THE ABOVE CRITERIA! When I spoke with the supervisor
at the DVO (Derelict Vehicles Office) he read my bike's report stating
it had damage to the left-side, right-side, rust, and rot. None of
that is accurate. The supervisor provided the above criteria which I
have yet to find posted online. It's also different from what the
Sanitation Department told me was the criteria.

I happen to be extremely lucky that the guy I reached at the wrecking
yard is a motorcyclist and the supervisor at the DVO is a
motorcyclist. They helped me beyond what I'm guessing they are
required to do since my bike was officially already destroyed as of
this last Sunday. If the guys at the yard had removed so much as one
part from the bike, I would not be allowed to retrieve it.

I never removed my plate or parked on a sidewalk for the 3 years I've
lived here, until I was on the paying end of repeated assholes backing
into it and causing considerable damage. I also cannot afford the
astronomical parking rates here for the very few garages that accept
motorcycles. I finally started parking at a bicycle rack next to the
AT&T building at the corner of West Broadway and Lispenard because
I've seen motorcycles regularly park there every day for 3 years.

I'm picking my bike up tomorrow morning. I will never remove my plate again.
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:14 AM   #1528
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Removal of Street Encumbrances

pay attention to section J

sorry for the gargantuan copy/paste but I think everyone here should be informed.

Rules of the City of New York -
Title 16
Department of Sanitation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

§1-05 Removal, Storage and Disposal of Street Encumbrances.
(a) The Commissioner, upon receiving the consent and approval of the Board of Estimate or its successor agency, may lease a suitable yard, yards, warehouses or other suitable enclosures to which any vehicle, box, barrel, bale of merchandise or other movable property removed under the authority of these Regulations shall be taken, and from time to time, he shall sell, or cause to be sold thereat, such vehicles, boxes, barrels, bales of merchandise or other movable property, as hereinafter provided.

(b) Whenever the Commissioner shall receive any vehicle bearing a motor vehicle license plate, he shall request from the public office or agency which issued such plate, the name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle with respect to which such plate was issued. The Commissioner, upon receipt of the name and address of the registered owner of any such vehicle, shall notify such registered owner by ordinary mail that such vehicle is held by the Commissioner. Upon receipt of any other movable property bearing a legible inscription or other identifying device setting forth the name and address of the owner or person lawfully entitled to possession thereof, or where the property is otherwise identifiable, the Commissioner shall notify such owner or person by ordinary mail that such movable property is held by the Commissioner. In any notification, given pursuant to these Regulations, the Commissioner shall include a brief description of such vehicle or movable property, the date of removal, the office at which to apply for redemption, and a statement of the right to sell, dismantle, destroy or otherwise dispose of the vehicle or property if, within twenty days after the removal of a vehicle and within 30 days after removal of any other property, a lawful claim thereto is not established in the manner provided by §1-05(c) below. Any notification required to be given by the provisions of this section shall be mailed prior to the first publication of the notice of sale provided for by §l-05(d) of these Regulations.

(c) At such times as the Commissioner shall determine, he shall sell or cause to be sold at public auction for the best price which he can obtain therefor, any such vehicle or movable property which shall remain in his custody for a period of 30 days; as to any other property, after the date of removal and with respect to which no claimant has presented to the Commissioner prior to the expiration of such 20 or 30 day periods, respectively, proof establishing to the Commissioner's satisfaction such claimants ownership of or lawful right to possess such vehicle or property.

(d) Before making any such sale, the Commissioner shall give public notice thereof in the City Record for a period of 10 days. Such notice shall specify the time and place of such sale and shall contain a general description of the property to be sold, but no particular description of any article need be included therein.

(e) Whenever any vehicle or movable property shall remain unsold at public auction, the Commissioner, in his discretion, may re-offer such vehicle or property for sale at a subsequent public auction held pursuant to these Regulations or he may, without public notice, dismantle, destroy or otherwise dispose of such vehicle or property or any component thereof, without liability on the part of the City to the owner of or other person lawfully entitled to the possession of such vehicle or property, or to any other person having an interest therein.

(f) Any sale conducted pursuant to these Regulations shall be made at the time and place specified in such notice of sale by the Commissioner and shall be conducted by the Commissioner, or by any officer or employee of the Department designated by him, or by an auctioneer designated for such sale by the Commissioner.

(g) Immediately after the sale, the Commissioner shall pay the proceeds thereof to the Director of Finance and shall, at the same time, transmit to the Comptroller an itemized statement of the articles sold, with the price received for each article or lot, and a certificate of the costs and expenses incurred by him in making such sale. The Comptroller shall credit the General Fund with so much of the proceeds as equal the costs and expenses of such sale plus such an amount as may be estimated and fixed by the Commissioner as necessary to pay the cost of seizing, removing, and keeping or storing such property. The remainder of the monies realized from such sale shall be paid, without interest, to the lawful owners of the several articles or lots sold.

(h) Any payment to a person apparently entitled thereto, under the provision of these Regulations, shall be a good defense to the City against any other person claiming to be entitled to such payment, but if the person to whom such payment is made is not in fact entitled thereto, the person or persons to whom the same ought to have been paid shall recover the same, with interest and costs of suit, from the person or persons to whom the same shall have been paid.

(i) The owner or other person lawfully entitled to possession of any vehicle, box, barrel, bale of merchandise or other movable property removed from any public street and/or received by the Commissioner under the provision of these Regulations, may redeem such property at any time after such property is received by the Commissioner and prior to the sale, dismantling, destruction or disposal of such property pursuant to the provisions of these Regulations, upon presentation to the Commissioner of proof establishing to the Commissioner's satisfaction that such person seeking to redeem the same is its owner or lawfully entitled to possession thereof, and upon payment to the Commissioner of such sum as he may fix as necessary to pay the cost of seizing, removing and keeping or storing such property. The storage fee to be charged for storage of encumbrances from evictions shall be $2.50/day and the storage fee for containers seized as street encumbrances shall be $16.50/day. The Commissioner shall issue a Redemption Order to any person lawfully entitled to redeem property as provided under these Regulations. The Redemption Order shall include a notice that the property must be removed within 48 hours after the date of issuance of the Redemption Order, and if not removed the property will be subject to storage charges and subsequently sold at public auction. If a person does not remove the property within 10 days after the date of issuance of a Redemption Order, the Commissioner shall notify such person by ordinary mail of the date of the next scheduled public auction and that the property will be sold at public auction on such date if it is not removed. The Commissioner shall provide notice of such public auction in the City Record as set forth in §l-05(d) of these Regulations. After providing such notice by mail and publication, the Commissioner may sell or cause to be sold at public auction any property in his custody for which a Redemption Order has been issued by which property has not been removed. When such property remains unsold after a public auction the property may be disposed of in accordance with §l-05(e) of these Regulations.

(j) The procedures outlined in the preceding subdivisions of this section shall not apply to worthless, derelict, abandoned vehicles reported to the Department of Sanitation by the Police Department and other such unidentifiable property found on the streets. The Commissioner or his duly authorized representative is hereby empowered to declare any such derelict property as worthless and valueless and is authorized to dispose of such property at Department of Sanitation disposal points or, in his discretion, to have such derelict vehicles and other worthless property removed and disposed of by private contractors.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:43 AM   #1529
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
That's funny, there are about a dozen bikes where I park that have no plates, expired stickers, loads of tickets, stripped and some even on their sides (I've tried picking up a few) and the city does nothing about them.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:19 AM   #1530
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn
That's funny, there are about a dozen bikes where I park that have no plates, expired stickers, loads of tickets, stripped and some even on their sides (I've tried picking up a few) and the city does nothing about them.
I used to park under the FDR at he end of Wall Street and there's been bikes there for years that are a real eye sore. I don't get the arbitrariness of the city.