ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2006, 01:43 PM   #151
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipnotik
Hi folks

Jumping in a little late on this thread, I just wanted to introduce myself. Been riding in the city for the past 3 years- most of these on a black 650GS (great city bike) and for the last 3 weeks on a red 12GS.
Can say I am a daily commuter but in fact I work in the evenings- those that make me a nightly commuter?
My route for the past 2 years is Astoria to 23rd and 6th Ave in the city.
I useally take 59th bridge to FDR south to 25th St. east to west. At night I take park Ave all the way up to 57th St. usually in one long ďgreen waveĒ of traffic lights.

Glad to read that there are a bunch of us out there. Nothing like riding back home after a long day in the office and seeing all the sad faces entering the subway tunnels.

Hey Hipnotik, I'm making almost the same commute to 26th and 11th. Iím coming in mornings so I know the patterns will be different, but how is the FDR to 25th? Going through midtown in the AM sucks. Been coming off the bridge and going up 1st to 66th and across to 11th lately. Then at night using the WSH to get up to 56 or 58th and across. I find it usually takes me 30min of ride time to travel the 6miles. It also takes the same amount of time by bicycle. But itís not as fun, and more scary.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #152
hipnotik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterBroil
Hey Hipnotik, I'm making almost the same commute to 26th and 11th. Iím coming in mornings so I know the patterns will be different, but how is the FDR to 25th? Going through midtown in the AM sucks. Been coming off the bridge and going up 1st to 66th and across to 11th lately. Then at night using the WSH to get up to 56 or 58th and across. I find it usually takes me 30min of ride time to travel the 6miles. It also takes the same amount of time by bicycle. But itís not as fun, and more scary.
The FDR to 25th in the afternoons is fine almost never any heavy traffic and no cops so far so I get my share of a few minutes of fast riding on my daily commute. You do have to wait in a couple of traffic lights before going on the FDR from the bridge. No biggie.
I prefer that much more to going down traffic heavy 2nd Ave where taxis cut you from anywhere.
I think you got your route pretty much figured out- I would probably take the same route.
If I have to take a through street I always prefer taking a one way one to a main 2 lanes one (like 23rd or 57th) as I can split lanes much better on these than the bus heavy main ones.

'05 R1200RT
hipnotik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:27 AM   #153
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,406
How to avoid tickets for the record:

1. Remove the plate every time you get off the bike - velcro.
2. Park somewhere legally - and still remove the plate.
3. Cover the bike and lock the cover down with a chain through the rear wheel and cover (like KTMMM mentioned) - and remove the plate.
4. Cover the vin with a hose clamp or something - and remove the plate.

Only a Marshall can tow a bike - not any towtruck. That makes it a hassle to tow a bike and they won't bother unless you have a lot of tickets and it's obvious you'll be worth the hassle.

The new parking enforcers use a scanner for the registration in a cars window which is really easy. Your job is to make writing a ticket really hard. They, like just about everyone, are really lazy. If you have your plate on you made their job easy. If you don't 90% of the time they'll keep walking but if not then they have to look for the vin. If the vin is hard to read or they can't find it they won't bother.

Parking is about paying a random tax - nothing more. I pay a ton in taxes so I avoid giving any more money to the city than I already do. When there's legal motorcycle parking I'll play by the rules but until then we have a little battle and I'm winning.

KTMMM - nice bike! I saw your bike out at Matchless last MotoGP. Very nice. I've got a Duke II for the city that's had a bunch of work done - it's a perfect city bike.
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:54 AM   #154
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama
The new parking enforcers use a scanner for the registration in a cars window which is really easy.
so why can't they use the scanner on the bike's registration or inspection, whichever has a bar code?
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:01 AM   #155
hipnotik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Very nicely put.

I would also add:

Try to avoid the main streets, avenues or really packed areas like times square etc. The cops seem to be really sensitive in this areas and if president Bush or some UN official or whoever decides to drive through that street that would give the marshals a good excuse to tow away your bike legally parked or not.

If unable to chain your bike to something try park next to a doorman building. This areas usually have security cameras and with a doormen present I doubt anyone would go through the hassle of stilling it.

Quote:
How to avoid tickets for the record:

1. Remove the plate every time you get off the bike - velcro.
2. Park somewhere legally - and still remove the plate.
3. Cover the bike and lock the cover down with a chain through the rear wheel and cover (like KTMMM mentioned) - and remove the plate.
4. Cover the vin with a hose clamp or something - and remove the plate.

Only a Marshall can tow a bike - not any towtruck. That makes it a hassle to tow a bike and they won't bother unless you have a lot of tickets and it's obvious you'll be worth the hassle.

The new parking enforcers use a scanner for the registration in a cars window which is really easy. Your job is to make writing a ticket really hard. They, like just about everyone, are really lazy. If you have your plate on you made their job easy. If you don't 90% of the time they'll keep walking but if not then they have to look for the vin. If the vin is hard to read or they can't find it they won't bother.

Parking is about paying a random tax - nothing more. I pay a ton in taxes so I avoid giving any more money to the city than I already do. When there's legal motorcycle parking I'll play by the rules but until then we have a little battle and I'm winning.

KTMMM - nice bike! I saw your bike out at Matchless last MotoGP. Very nice. I've got a Duke II for the city that's had a bunch of work done - it's a perfect city bike.

'05 R1200RT
hipnotik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:29 AM   #156
priller
-

Oddometer: 2,988
Quote:
last tuesday evening, when i came to my bike parked in my usual spot, a guy who were sitting in the car right next to the bike got out and came to me. he said that five minutes earlier city marshall stopped by my bike with towing truck and sterted checking it. used kinda of handheld device and was deliberating god knows what. i always have my plates on and vin revealed. yet the bike is clean and he left it alone even though i parked it in the spot i got a ticket once. were they looking for bikes with a long list of violations?

(the 'meter expired' ticket i had got there was dismissed later due to lack of meter number)

sakurma, i guess it was your 950 parked on lawn at javits on saturday evening of nyc motorcycle show. it didn't fit there. i saw all those hd guys walking by and having a kind of unbelief and insane in eyes after seeing your bike.
priller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #157
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipnotik
The FDR to 25th in the afternoons is fine almost never any heavy traffic and no cops so far so I get my share of a few minutes of fast riding on my daily commute. You do have to wait in a couple of traffic lights before going on the FDR from the bridge. No biggie.
I prefer that much more to going down traffic heavy 2nd Ave where taxis cut you from anywhere.
I think you got your route pretty much figured out- I would probably take the same route.
If I have to take a through street I always prefer taking a one way one to a main 2 lanes one (like 23rd or 57th) as I can split lanes much better on these than the bus heavy main ones.

Yeah, itís not too bad of a route. I come in early enough to use the HOV inbound lanes on the bridge. This is usually a smooth crossing but occasionally itís all backed up and requires massive splitting. Due to construction the lanes are constricted even more making it a bit hairy even on my svelte XT. And there is a lot of bus traffic around the Javits butís itís manageable. I too stay off the two way streets whenever possible for the same reason.

One day I came off the upper level of the bridge onto 57th and was making a left on 2nd. Well itís a shitty wait at the green for oncoming traffic to clear and turn situation. Well some ass in a town car hit me with his mirror trying to go around me at the intersection, it just hit my handguard and folded his mirror up. But after that I avoid that intersection.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #158
GSOilhead
Likes to Ride

Oddometer: 58
Pissed

Quote:
I had a bike seized by the marshalls in 1998. They can only take it if the city has released it to them. The city only does that after a certain number of unpaid tix. It's the equivalent of being put out to a collection agency or a bounty hunter. The city puts out a list and then any marshall can seize the vehicles on the list. Marshalls will roam the streets checking random vehicles, via computer, in the hopes that one is a hit. They get a big fee for helping the city collect the debt. I had to get myself to the north Bronx with a pocket full of cash ($700), pay all the unpaid tix + fees to the marshall, go the tow lot in the south Bronx and pay the towing fee to get the bike back. When I went to take the bike away, I realized that they had broken off the clutch handle. The towing company drove me out to Triboro Motorcycles in Greenpoint, bought me a clutch handle and drove me back to the south Bronx. I'm sure the bike was only worth $500 but not taking care of that situation = no more driver's license. Not one of my happier days in NYC. But I learned a lesson - I pay my parking tix as soon as I get them. 99% of the time we get to park in the city for free. 1% of the time, we pay a fee for the "priviledge."

BMW MOA #92651

GSOilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #159
Donald Duck
QYYQQuacks !

Oddometer: 851
I'm a commuter too. Riding every weekdays between Midtown Esat and Downtown West, using FDR and West Avenue. Pretty short (8miles one way) but it is much better than change 4 subway trains or pay $40 to a boring cab ride.

My ride is an 1150 GSADv, so it IS visible w/Bosh foglights, performance muffler and double PIAA horns. Nothing bother me at all except rubbernecks, and damn sleepy idiots.

I don't remove alu panniers, so bike is wide, and sometimes difficult to filter but it is OK so far...

See you out there ..
Old 04-08-2006, 08:49 AM   #160
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Duck
I'm a commuter too. Riding every weekdays between Midtown Esat and Downtown West, using FDR and West Avenue. Pretty short (8miles one way) but it is much better than change 4 subway trains or pay $40 to a boring cab ride.

My ride is an 1150 GSADv, so it IS visible w/Bosh foglights, performance muffler and double PIAA horns. Nothing bother me at all except rubbernecks, and damn sleepy idiots.

I don't remove alu panniers, so bike is wide, and sometimes difficult to filter but it is OK so far...

See you out there ..
DDuck,

Great to see you here. It's been a while, no? When are we going to ride with P Urquell?

I agree. None of that city stuff bothers me compared to riding the train or a cab. I can't even remember the last time I did either one of those things, cab or train.

I'm finding that the pedestrians are parting much better with the fogs and running lights on and a small beep of the Stebel Nautilus compact horn I just installed, so I concur with you.

BTW, I really like those pictures in Harriman you did in the autumn.

Best,

dlew
Old 04-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #161
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
DDuck,

Great to see you here. It's been a while, no? When are we going to ride with P Urquell?

I agree. None of that city stuff bothers me compared to riding the train or a cab. I can't even remember the last time I did either one of those things, cab or train.

I'm finding that the pedestrians are parting much better with the fogs and running lights on and a small beep of the Stebel Nautilus compact horn I just installed, so I concur with you.

BTW, I really like those pictures in Harriman you did in the autumn.

Best,

dlew

Don't kid yourself, you know it's just the Remus.......
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #162
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Don't kid yourself, you know it's just the Remus.......
That's what the dudes behind me are saying upon hearing the POPS on the deceleration.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #163
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dedicated moto parking in London

The marking on the pavement reads "Solo Motorcycle" something. Never work here. You would have white vans parked there all the time
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #164
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrai
sakurma, i guess it was your 950 parked on lawn at javits on saturday evening of nyc motorcycle show. it didn't fit there. i saw all those hd guys walking by and having a kind of unbelief and insane in eyes after seeing your bike.
Yeah, it's a bit rough looking at the moment since it's seen so much offroad action. I have a Duke for the city but the 950 is pretty fun as I just don't worry about it at all.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:50 AM   #165
priller
-

Oddometer: 2,988
greg,
what color is your duke? i've seen only two in the city so far.
priller is offline   Reply With Quote