ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #16606
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Steve View Post

I agree about picking & choosing. Some of their stuff is suprisingly useful for the money.
I bought a pipe expander so that I could stretch the ID of the outer pipe of my Ducati exhaust prior to getting it ceramic coated. Apart from the O- Rings that hold the thing together decomposing within 30 minutes of being exposed to the atmosphere, the thing has worked surprisingly well and I've ended up using it 5-6 times. I imagine a similar tool from Craftsman, if you could find one in stock, would have been five times what I paid for it (AND the replacement O-Rings)

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #16607
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
How much do they get for parking a MC? Found this link, but don't understand the pay schedule:
http://www.parkfast.com/content/park...r-District.jsp

Is it $1/day for a bicycle, or $20/day? Are MC charged as cars, or bicycles, or other?
motorcycles are charged as motorcycles. no clue what they are trying to say with the bicycle charges. as with any bicycle , car or motorcycle rate in manhattan. it varies according to what part of town you are in. down by me they want the same price for a motorcycle as they do a car. a lot of them won't take motorcycles. some you can park a bicycle for $10 for the day others might charge you $40. best thing to do is call the number listed for the place you want and ask them.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #16608
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 1,027
Welding

I'm interested in learning to weld.

I've got to 3rd ward to check out their classes and space, and while its nice, membership is 500/month without instruction. Bit steep.

I've sent email inquiries to the Education Alliance (they offered a course in 2011 according to their website) and Apex Technical College, though I suspect Apex is more of a full-time college course.

Any recommendations, my friends? I just want to learn from a crafting and hobby standpoint, not looking to make a career of it.

Thanks in advance
George
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #16609
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post

I've got to 3rd ward to check out their classes and space, and while its nice, membership is 500/month without instruction. Bit steep.

I've sent email inquiries to the Education Alliance (they offered a course in 2011 according to their website) and Apex Technical College, though I suspect Apex is more of a full-time college course.

Any recommendations, my friends? I just want to learn from a crafting and hobby standpoint, not looking to make a career of it.

Thanks in advance
George
Just arm yourself with a welder and some patience. Stick is hard and takes practice but it's cheap to get into and it's fun and will work for all steel. You can get a used buzzbox for a hundred bucks on CL, or even less. Mine was $80.

The most important thing is to get an auto-darkening welding helmet, apron, and welding gloves. Then, collect any metal scrap you can find and weld away!
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #16610
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
I use this thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Darkening-Sola...welding+helmet

Without one, it's very frustrating because you can't see the work piece through a regular permanently tinted visor until you strike your arc, and you'll often end up striking it in the wrong place
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #16611
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post

Thanks in advance
George
i looked at 3rd ward as well, i think you can take the welding class without being a member. the price is 50/100 more. tell me if your planning on doing it there, maybe if two sign up together we get a discount

maybe a adv welding class
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #16612
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 1,027
Hey TC:

Re 3rd ward, yes, you can take the class as a nonmember but then you only get the class hours (9 i believe) to actually practice. Still seems totally overpriced to me.

Education Alliance confirmed they no longer offer welding, but referred me to The Art Students League http://theartstudentsleague.org/Clas...Sculpture.aspx
They have welding classes as part of their scuplture programs, but they're full with a waiting list until may. They said they do offer summer classes, but don't have a schedule yet. Their prices look much more reasonable, and they do offer an all day saturday welding session. At 180/month that's a bargain compared to 3rd ward.

I also came across this guy:
http://www.michaeldanielmetal.com/classes.html
but other than read the website, haven't looked into it further.

I'll be starting here and figuring out which class to try soon:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=welding

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
i looked at 3rd ward as well, i think you can take the welding class without being a member. the price is 50/100 more. tell me if your planning on doing it there, maybe if two sign up together we get a discount

maybe a adv welding class
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #16613
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post
Schwartz, where do you park your bike now? My office is moving to Broadway and 38th in 2 months.
44th, 9/10
it's the only legal street parking in the area. residential parking with alternate side street cleaning. it's a bit of a walk but whatcha gonna do?

i used to park at 36th and Dyer (median strip just outside the Lincoln Tunnel) until i got a parking ticket claiming that i was on a sidewalk.
1978 Suzuki GS 1000 (perma project)
the schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #16614
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post
44th, 9/10
it's the only legal street parking in the area. residential parking with alternate side street cleaning. it's a bit of a walk but whatcha gonna do?

i used to park at 36th and Dyer (median strip just outside the Lincoln Tunnel) until i got a parking ticket claiming that i was on a sidewalk.
Might have to check this out. You use a lock or anything?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #16615
hitmanlol
Cotor Myclist

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post
44th, 9/10

hey I park on 44 too. I have a black duc monster and a spraypainted black multi with red frame.
hitmanlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #16616
flyinscotsman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Daily 800gs -

STAY LUCKY

-----------------------------

How many NYC commuters here? I ride in 3-4 times a week from LIC on an XT225, a KLR650 before that. (I upgraded) I don’t see too many other dual sports so I was wondering who else is out there mixing it up with the evil yellow and black cars everyday.

Karl[/QUOTE]
flyinscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:20 AM   #16617
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,067
Big Agnes Encampment

If anyone is looking for a new sleeping bag, I've got an ad in the Flea Mkt. I'd rather sell local, and avoid shipping, so you can subtract $10 from the price I listed...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866577
Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #16618
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
I am interested Ron, This is a regular sized bag?
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #16619
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,067
Yes, check the link... Big Agnes has all the specs on their page. This model is "Regular".
Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #16620
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
Yes, check the link... Big Agnes has all the specs on their page. This model is "Regular".
I'm interested if he doesn't want it, I PM'd you.
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote