ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #1696
KTRSD
keep the rubber side down

Oddometer: 142
Welcome back guys! You planning on washing that bike first? Glad the weather held up for you guys...can't wait to hear all about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Got back from Nova Scotia yesterday. Sold the DR to RoadDawg today.

The bikes performed flawlessly, the weather was nearly perfect, and we met a fantastic bunch of people. The place truly is a Dual Sport nirvana .

Catching up on posts, emails, bills and laundry today. I'll try to make the Ear tuesday, looking forward to seeing some of you FF's again.

Look for a ride report soon... sifting through 1400+ photos.

d
KTRSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #1697
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,115
Welcome back, Dr. Rock can't wait to see your ride report. Sure there will be some great shots of LDF and her big heart riding over and through stuff. BTW when does your new toy come?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:57 PM   #1698
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTRSD
Welcome back guys! You planning on washing that bike first? Glad the weather held up for you guys...can't wait to hear all about it.
The only day we had rain was the last day riding back to Yarmouth... it washed the dirt off . Well, most of it, anyway.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #1699
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
The only day we had rain was the last day riding back to Yarmouth... it washed the dirt off . Well, most of it, anyway.
Welcome back Rock (and Francine)! Glad you had a safe trip.

So how's it feel to be bikeless (the motorized kind)? How long is it going to last?

You should put some Ducati stickers on your bicycle and park with the rest of us on the curb at the Ear.

Brad

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #1700
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
was wondering where you went! glad u guys had a safe one.

time to warm up smugmug...and cool down come beers.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #1701
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
...Sold the DR to RoadDawg today.
So, I bought the DR from the good Doctor Rock. He said, "anytime you need any help, just let me know".

Yesterday at the Ear, I told him that I had to keep the choke on to keep it from stalling. He adjusted the idle, turned off the choke and said, "There you go. Turn off the choke after about 10 minutes and you should be good."

Today, I'm sitting at a stop light messing with the choke and I can't get it in a position where the bike will stop stalling. All of a sudden, DR Rock shows up on his bicycle, turns the choke completely off, and the bike starts purring like a kitten. He says something like "I told you to take the choke completely off after it's warmed up!". Then, he smacked me upside my Snell certified helmet and rode off.

Man, THAT'S service.
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #1702
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,365
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDawg
So, I bought the DR from the good Doctor Rock. He said, "anytime you need any help, just let me know".

Yesterday at the Ear, I told him that I had to keep the choke on to keep it from stalling. He adjusted the idle, turned off the choke and said, "There you go. Turn off the choke after about 10 minutes and you should be good."

Today, I'm sitting at a stop light messing with the choke and I can't get it in a position where the bike will stop stalling. All of a sudden, DR Rock shows up on his bicycle, turns the choke completely off, and the bike starts purring like a kitten. He says something like "I told you to take the choke completely off after it's warmed up!". Then, he smacked me upside my Snell certified helmet and rode off.

Man, THAT'S service.

That's hillarious!
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #1703
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos

That's hillarious!
Yeah, it was pretty funny.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #1704
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,115
Quote:

Man, THAT'S service.
Wiat until you get the bill
Old 10-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #1705
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Bluhduh no.... NOT a KITTEN!!!

Quote:
...and the bike starts purring like a kitten...
Seriously, this may be the problem: A thumper should NOT purr!!!

It should sound like a rheumatic chain-smoking grandfather clearing his throat.

I think you may be too used to the sound / feel / power band / rev response of your Nighthawk.

At idle, the DR will be thumping... you've got to crack the throttle a fair amount, then wait a moment for the revs to start to jump... in reality, this is only a millisecond longer response time than your NH, but because of the crankshaft counterbalance weight, it will feel much longer on the DR... Once the rev's are well on their way up, grab a chunk of friction zone with the clutch, and reel in the revs as the front wheel lofts.

It's not the carb / choke / engine, Rob... trust me on this... I think you've just got to get used to getting a thumper up to speed. It WILL come, be patient.

The bike I owned before the DR was a '79 CB650 -- 4 cyl, and it was a totally different feel from the DR... I hadn't thought about it 'till now, but at the beginning, it did take some getting used to.

Let me know how it's progressing.

d
Old 10-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #1706
bostonsr
Just weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
Wiat until you get the bill
oh don't worry, hillary will pay that bill!

abe

Old 10-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #1707
bostonsr
Just weight

Quote:

I think you may be too used to the sound / feel / power band / rev response of your Nighthawk.

At idle, the DR will be thumping... you've got to crack the throttle a fair amount, then wait a moment for the revs to start to jump... in reality, this is only a millisecond longer response time than your NH, but because of the crankshaft counterbalance weight, it will feel much longer on the DR... Once the rev's are well on their way up, grab a chunk of friction zone with the clutch, and reel in the revs as the front wheel lofts.

It's not the carb / choke / engine, Rob... trust me on this... I think you've just got to get used to getting a thumper up to speed. It WILL come, be patient.

The bike I owned before the DR was a '79 CB650 -- 4 cyl, and it was a totally different feel from the DR... I hadn't thought about it 'till now, but at the beginning, it did take some getting used to.

Let me know how it's progressing.

d
am agrees. it feels SO abusive but you just have to suspend your mechanical sympathy and trust that the counterbalance will prevent the whole works from going KER-BLAM.

definitely a fun bike tho...could have used it following urbancowboy around sugarloaf mtn.

abe

Old 10-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #1708
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:

Is it possible that thing's only running on one cylinder?

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #1709
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,753
didn't know they made diplomat plates for motorcycles.
which makes it possible he had a bullet proof helmet as well?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:29 AM   #1710
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
Is it possible that thing's only running on one cylinder?

Tipsy
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote