ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2007, 03:51 AM   #1711
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
I think you may be too used to the sound / feel / power band / rev response of your Nighthawk.
Yeah, I guess I meant that, compared to how the bike sounded when I had the choke on, it sounded much better after you turned it off (at idle). I was trying to ease the choke off and it kept stalling. But, as you pointed out, it needs to be completely turned off.

You're right, with the nighthawk, I was getting used to high revs. I'm still not completely sure where to shift the DR. Probably somewhere between "cruiser style" and "high reve inline 4 style". I guess the sound of the engine is the best guide. When I get it right, it sounds great.
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:42 AM   #1712
BobbyC
n00b

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDawg
You're right, with the nighthawk, I was getting used to high revs. I'm still not completely sure where to shift the DR. Probably somewhere between "cruiser style" and "high reve inline 4 style". I guess the sound of the engine is the best guide. When I get it right, it sounds great.
Congrats on the urban assault vehicle!

I had the same problem with my KLR when I had it. There's tons of torque down low but peters off pretty quickly. I went by feel and shifted when it didn't pull strong any more.

"I LOVE my bike!!!"
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #1713
abenormal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
didn't know they made diplomat plates for motorcycles.
which makes it possible he had a bullet proof helmet as well?
I parked next to a Beemer in Tudor City the other day that had a diplomat plate. It looked stupid big but I was still jealous. Imagine being able to park anywhere, lane split, speed, and never get ticketed or pulled over...
abenormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #1714
abenormal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
I'm still not completely sure where to shift the DR.
There's only one way to learn the shift points... Rev it till it grenades, then shift it a little sooner after the rebuild.

abenormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #1715
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenormal
I parked next to a Beemer in Tudor City the other day that had a diplomat plate. It looked stupid big but I was still jealous. Imagine being able to park anywhere, lane split, speed, and never get ticketed or pulled over...
I thought the same thing until I sold my KLR to a German diplomat in June. He was going to be commuting from Yonkers to the U.N. and he said that the lane splitting crackdown sucked for him. Basically he can't be arrested or prosecuted, but it doesn't mean he have his welcome card to the U.S. stripped. If he gets pulled over and gets a summons he doesn't have to pay it, but once a year he has to apply with the U.S. State Dept for some kind of permission and if they see too many tickets, or anything else they don't renew it and he gets kicked out.
Then Germany can send him anywhere in the world or fire him. In some ways it is worse than for us citizens.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #1716
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,522
Quote:
There's only one way to learn the shift points... Rev it till it grenades, then shift it a little sooner after the rebuild.

Nice try. It's got a rev limiter !!

(Yer gonna scare the poor boy)
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #1717
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,114
Quote:
If it was an F650 than it belongs to a guy that works at the Argentinian consulate or embassy (can't remember which). I believe they were trying to get the diplomats to pay their parking tickets. If i remember correctly the Russians had the most tickets.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #1718
RocksteR
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Congestion Parking NYC: Motorcycle Exemtpion?

[FONT="Georgia"]Does anyone have any solid information about whether proposed congestion pricing will EXEMPT motorcycles and moto scooters?

I commute most days to Lower Manhattan from Brooklyn, and if MCs are not exempt, this will add an additional $1,500 - $2,000 in after-tax expenses to my annual tab. AND, it should be noted that in London, once congestion pricing was introduced, the price has climbed considerably, so don't be surprised if it soon costs $12 or more to enter Manhattan below 86th St.

I've spoken to my local councilmember's staff about this issue, as well as my assemblyman and state senators. Key is to talk to their legislative senior staff. In each instance, I found them very interested in my comments. There is a lot of opposition to congestion pricing from various constituencies, and it's crucial that those of us who ride make our voices heard.

I've also alerted some of the Manhattan MC dealers (there are only a few), who will definitely suffer if fewer people ride in, and spoken to the AMA legislative director as well. This was all in late August, but I need to follow up.

Motorcycles reduce congestion, they don't cause it. When the transit system shut down after heavy rains in August, rode in with no problem, passing endless lines of bumper to bumper cages and sport futility vehicles.

If we stay silent on this issue, it's going to cost us. Not only that, but this will only open the door to further anti-MC legislation.
RocksteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #1719
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer: 684
My guess has always been that MC's will be exempt since that's what London does.

I think that's good. It may lead to a new attitude of the motorcycle as cheap transportation instead of a toy. This would hopefully get the big 4 to bring some nice models to the States (varadero, transalp).
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #1720
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,600
any of you have 1" handlebars sitting around i can buy from you so i can go ridin in the morning?
seem to have bent mine, on the klr, in the pines this morning.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:31 AM   #1721
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,114
I have an extra KLR handlebar, I can bring them into work with me tomorrow morning. Lemme know.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:41 AM   #1722
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn
I have an extra KLR handlebar, I can bring them into work with me tomorrow morning. Lemme know.
pm sent
Old 10-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #1723
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
commuting into manhattan cost me a lot of money today

i've been getting away with a lot, riding the way i always do, getting pulled over for rolling stops and speeding and never getting cited. but today was my day.

on w. 30th st between 8th and 9th there was a marked car parked and officers scanning up the road from the sidewalk. they got me for lane splitting and having my plate affixed with velcro. if i'm reading the ticket correctly it's $90 for each of them. $180.

then, parked on 8th avenue, i got cited for an expired meter. the scooter parked next to me, with its' plate removed, did not get cited. $65.

so has anyone fought a lane splitting ticket or it a lost cause?

total for the day and i haven't ridden home: $245.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #1724
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
i've been getting away with a lot, riding the way i always do, getting pulled over for rolling stops and speeding and never getting cited. but today was my day.

on w. 30th st between 8th and 9th there was a marked car parked and officers scanning up the road from the sidewalk. they got me for lane splitting and having my plate affixed with velcro. if i'm reading the ticket correctly it's $90 for each of them. $180.

then, parked on 8th avenue, i got cited for an expired meter. the scooter parked next to me, with its' plate removed, did not get cited. $65.

so has anyone fought a lane splitting ticket or it a lost cause?

total for the day and i haven't ridden home: $245.

Tried and lost the lane splittn tic, even was right for once, and they still charged me. Judge had a HD wallet he was very proud to put on his desk, all motorcycles in one room infractions.

points suck though.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #1725
blujay
blujay

Oddometer: 100
total for the day and i haven't ridden home: $245.[/quote]

Ouch! Sounds like a REALLY bad day. I beat a parking on the sidewalk ticket on a technicality once. I just picked up a "improper turn from wrong lane" ticket on Essex Street and Delancy. It is apparently a trap from what I hear. A friend got tagged on Allen with a lane splitter citation too, wound up with a suspended license. Be careful in the area. Will let you know how it goes after the court date.

Blujay
blujay is offline   Reply With Quote