ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #2401
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Naven Johnson would've sounded better..
Too long. Plus mine works with or without association to the movie
Old 02-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #2402
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
It's the oil cans!
DIE gas pumper!

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #2403
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
finally...

abe
Attached Images

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #2404
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Possibly. Lived in Brooklyn awhile ago and it was okay. Just can't satnd the little apartment anymore, 2 dogs, etc.

thanks for the info.
I think there's a fixer upper in Orange County available with an extra room and a space for a GS.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #2405
thejosh
Chump

Oddometer: 454
ride in protest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroBid
Yes this tax is for real and we will all be charged $8 per day to drive into Manhattan.
Here is a link to information on the proposed tax:
http://www.stopnyccongestiontax.org/...ongestion-tax/

Now that a plan has been recommended by the NYC Congestion Commission, it must be adopted by the City Council, then it goes to Albany, where it must be adopted by the state legislature and signed by the governor. All this must happen by March 31, 2008. There is not much time left to act!

If we are serious about at least getting motorcycles (and scooters) exempted from the current tax plan, we need to act now.
Two things that might work:
1. draft a petition, sign it and send it to the city council, state legislature, mayor and governor,
2. stage a rally in front of City Hall in protest and get press coverage. I think 50-100 bikes would generate some media interest on a weekend afternoon.

I have written my city/state reps, but I dont think it's enough.
If we show we're organized, at least we have a chance. Let me know if anyone else is interested to pursue this. Thanks.

MB
count me in. i'll talk my pansy roommates into getting back on their bikes for this too(they keep whining about it being "cold outside" whatever the hell that means).
2002 DR725! "Quasi-Moto"
thejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #2406
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroBid
Yes this tax is for real and we will all be charged $8 per day to drive into Manhattan.
Here is a link to information on the proposed tax:
http://www.stopnyccongestiontax.org/...ongestion-tax/

Now that a plan has been recommended by the NYC Congestion Commission, it must be adopted by the City Council, then it goes to Albany, where it must be adopted by the state legislature and signed by the governor. All this must happen by March 31, 2008. There is not much time left to act!

If we are serious about at least getting motorcycles (and scooters) exempted from the current tax plan, we need to act now.
Two things that might work:
1. draft a petition, sign it and send it to the city council, state legislature, mayor and governor,
2. stage a rally in front of City Hall in protest and get press coverage. I think 50-100 bikes would generate some media interest on a weekend afternoon.

I have written my city/state reps, but I dont think it's enough.
If we show we're organized, at least we have a chance. Let me know if anyone else is interested to pursue this. Thanks.

MB
I just wrote my city and state reps. As far as a protest rally. On a weekend is not nearly as effective as during the week. The problem with during the week is that most of us work during the hours City Hall is open. Writing all the parties is by far the best bet. Though I think the Mayor's office and your council person is the best bet http://council.nyc.gov/html/members/members.shtml Not sure what the state has to do with this as far as say in the law.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #2407
The Jerk

Urbancowboy and I met up for lunch today and happened upon a completely ADV-worthy Honda Transalp or maybe Africa Twin (I'm not up on my dual sport Hondas and this thing had no markings other than the Honda embossed on the clutch cover) parked down by the courts in the lower Manhattan/Chinatown area.

Great city bike, all the plastics scratched all to hell, looked like it had seen some good times. Belong to anybody on here? No ADV sticker but it sure looked like it needed one.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #2408
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
I'm 99% sure it's a TA and not an AT. The AT was never imported although some TA guys have modified them to look like AT.

I always see one on a pickup on Greenwich just a few blocks from the Ear, I bet you that's the one you saw.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:01 AM   #2409
The Jerk

Yeah it was definitely a Transalp, after posting that I happened into another thread that had a pic of a Transalp and that's definitely what we saw. Cool bike.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:12 AM   #2410
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Nice thing about the TA is that it's a dual cyl. They maintain their value more than the Tengai. They were imported in the late 80s and early 90s I think (Rich can confirm this).

Here's a pic of the bigger and newer TA: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...75#post6404875

On another note, I saw some Triumph waterproof boots this weekend, you ever look into them? Know anything about them? I need to get a pair of waterproof boots and I looked at the Sidi, Alpinstars & Triumph. I liked the Triumph boot because it doesn't look like a MX boot (like the ones Bobby wears ).

Thanks.

TengaiJohn screwed with this post 02-26-2008 at 11:57 AM
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:11 AM   #2411
jdaniele
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Hi John I have been lookig at the Garene balance oiled 2008 model pricey though best I found was 315 smacks.

"These pretzels are makin me thirsty"

I can't seem to remember why I don't drink anymore.
jdaniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #2412
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn
Here's the actual '08 TA. Looks somewhat "versysified" this year, but still nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rmkC7GmWfE

Quote:
Hi John I have been lookig at the Gaerne balance oiled 2008 model pricey though best I found was 315 smacks.
John,

I've been doing research on this too. The balance looks like a great DS boot. However, I also like the Sidi discos, Setup Adventure, and the Gaerne Explorers (only $145), and the old standby: 'Stich Combats. None seem to be totally waterproof until you treat them (the setups have a membrane).

I'm leaning towards the Sidi's or CL's. More money, but you can keep replacing the soles.

OTH, my Carhart workboots offer little/no protection, but they're very comfortable and very waterproof. If you want to go that route, I'd suggest Pop's in Brooklyn.
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #2413
jdaniele
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Dawg check out this review on the balance the older model did not have that unobtainum liner system the 2008 supposedly has more ankle protection too. The review talks about how water proof they are. I was going for the discos or these decided on the balance based on many good review's

http://www.atvillustrated.com/?q=node/382

"These pretzels are makin me thirsty"

I can't seem to remember why I don't drink anymore.
jdaniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #2414
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,075
I did A LOT of boot research now being the whiney vegan I am it is harder since I don't wear leather. But from almost every source I have seen the boot to get is the Sidi Discovery's they will last you forever, offer decent protection and are pretty water-proof. Of course they are leather so I didn't buy them, but IMO they're the best.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #2415
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
finally...

abe

Looks good Not familiar with the brand but it looks like both a grip safety and a trigger safety. Is it DA only?