ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #3151
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Hey guys...anyone planning anything this weekend?
Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #3152
blujay
blujay

Oddometer: 100
Police Road blocks

OK Commuters. Now I know that we are being unjustly targeted. Please be on the look out for police road blocks. They look like accident scenes, but with more lights and a flatbed handy. Have all your paper work in order. As you approach the area, do not change lanes, move slowly and in the center of your lane. If you are in your lane and stopped and there is no car on either side of you, you may still be pulled over if you changed lanes in the past 2 miles.

Never before in my life have I felt more like a target, less like a citizen.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:39 AM   #3153
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay
OK Commuters. Now I know that we are being unjustly targeted. Please be on the look out for police road blocks. They look like accident scenes, but with more lights and a flatbed handy. Have all your paper work in order. As you approach the area, do not change lanes, move slowly and in the center of your lane. If you are in your lane and stopped and there is no car on either side of you, you may still be pulled over if you changed lanes in the past 2 miles.

Please expand upon the above. I haven't seen any fuzz in the last week, luck I guess. Or perhaps I am just avoiding the hot spots.
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #3154
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxersteph
Please expand upon the above. I haven't seen any fuzz in the last week, luck I guess. Or perhaps I am just avoiding the hot spots.
expanding
Old 06-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #3155
MotoPazzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
NYPD still targeting Motorcyclists

They sure are, I was taking a cab going down on 7th av. last week, I think it was in the low 20's or high teens. Two NYPD vans parked on each side of the road funnelling traffic towards the center lane. A couple dozen of NYPD officers behind the vans, and a flat bed tow truck. It looked like they had just set up. No bikes detained yet so possibly it could've been for something else, but it had the stench of motorcycle crackdown all over it.

I also saw I guy pop a wheelie coming out of the toll booth at the triborough bridge right in front of a cop car with a cop in it. What did the cop do?....NOT A THING!!!

This is confusing as hell but for the moment I'm keeping my line splitting at bay.
MotoPazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #3156
tessler
progressive

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos
Yeah, but that's specific to the Northway/Americade thing... Right here in the city, I'm wondering just what is going on... it ain't right, man...
Old 06-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #3157
tessler
progressive

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay

Hey Blujay, any place in particular?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #3158
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoPazzo
T

I also saw I guy pop a wheelie coming out of the toll booth at the triborough bridge right in front of a cop car with a cop in it. What did the cop do?....NOT A THING!!!

This is confusing as hell but for the moment I'm keeping my line splitting at bay.
The bridge cops are more worried about the trucks that cross than motorcyclists. I got stopped once by a Whitestone cop who advised that as it was very windy to seek alternate transport home. Quite cool, I thought.

This crackdown is an NYPD / Hwy Patrol thing.
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #3159
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessler
Yeah, but that's specific to the Northway/Americade thing... Right here in the city, I'm wondering just what is going on... it ain't right, man...
My theory is that with the fall in crime in the city there just isn't anything more to do for po-po. We've got a civic duty to keep them entertained.

I could be wrong.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #3160
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
She mentioned the FDR in the Ear Inn post: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...223960&page=85

I haven't seen much activity on the west side except for two cruisers parked by the entrance of the GWB off the WSH.

I believe the FDR has more MC traffic than the WSH, that's just my observation. The FDR is a lot cooler to travel on in the summer (more shade - Janet from Joisey mentioned this in one of her posts).
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #3161
blujay
blujay

FDR warning

Sorry for the vagueness. They were on the FDR drive southbound just south off 18th street, just past the on ramp, at the bottom on that nice left sweeper turn. You know the spot.

I encountered them at 7pm and they were still there at 9:30pm when I was going back up town. I wished I had my camera on me to snap a few pics because it was ugly and needed to be recorded. We should put out some sort of warning system for this sort of thing because it feels like war.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #3162
wreckhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
They sure are, I was taking a cab going down on 7th av. last week, I think it was in the low 20's or high teens. Two NYPD vans parked on each side of the road funnelling traffic towards the center lane. A couple dozen of NYPD officers behind the vans, and a flat bed tow truck. It looked like they had just set up. No bikes detained yet so possibly it could've been for something else, but it had the stench of motorcycle crackdown all over it.

Yesterday was a weird day. Cops everywhere. In the streets, and everywhere else. I was in the 51st street subway station and walked from the first car to the last car. No lie, there was a pair of cops every 10-15 feet on the platform.
wreckhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #3163
MotoPazzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxersteph
The bridge cops are more worried about the trucks that cross than motorcyclists. I got stopped once by a Whitestone cop who advised that as it was very windy to seek alternate transport home. Quite cool, I thought.
That is pretty cool!

About 2 years ago (before the crackdown I guess) I was caught in the middle of a UN meeting down in midtown. All roads were blocked off, and cops were on every intersection stopping traffic for the caravan of diplomats to go through. So not being able to go anywhere I struck a conversation with the "pretty cute" female officer. I remember one thing she said to me then...."I guess traffic for you is not a problem right, since you can ride between cars." I was dumbfounded to hear an NYPD/Traffic control officer say that. I remember saying back to her: "I can do that legally?" She said: "nobody really cares."

I miss those days dammit!
MotoPazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #3164
hezekiahmunson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
When I moved here a few years ago I used to commute from Easton PA to NYC(parked around Union Square)....boy was that a bad ride down 78. I did it a few times and wondered why I didnt see any other people doing it but soon realized after hitting a few potholes at 80mph trying to keep up with traffic it wasnt such a good idea. Other reasons are not many garages want to park bikes and getting in was no problem, but getting out via the Holland tunnel was ALWAYS a nightmare. I was riding an SV1000 at that time.

A few years earlier when I lived in Brooklyn, I had a GSXR600. I would cross Manhattan and pick up my girlfriend in NJ, then come back across and go on a ride with her. One night after dropping her off and coming back I was cruising through chinatown and cutting through stopped traffic when I felt my bike drag down the side of a fancy SUV, but I wasnt that close. I didnt realize until I got home that I dragged the passenger helmet down the side of the SUV!!! That was funny, too bad for him.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #3165
blujay
blujay

Quote:
I was dumbfounded to hear an NYPD/Traffic control officer say that. I remember saying back to her: "I can do that legally?" She said: "nobody really cares."

I miss those days dammit!
me too.