ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #14386
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 479
Do you think any of those guys stop for checkpoints? The laws are set up for those who are willing to accept them (sheep). While my cop running days are behind me, my first instinct is to jet if I see flashing lights.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #14387
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 653
Hey gang,

I'm new to the board and this thread. I'm in NYC (UES) on the weekends, and would love to get a motorcycle for when I'm here; however figuring out how/where to safely park has stopped me from any purchase (in addition to all the crap you poor New Yorkers have to go through like annual maintenance, bogus motorcycle checkpoints, etc). My main concerns are theft and expense.

I read earlier in the thread that some of you recommend motorcycle-specific garages (instead of the regular garages that supposedly specialize in motorcycles, but occasionally drop your bike while trying to move it to fit a huge SUV); however prices aren't posted on their online site. Anyone know how much these cost? Based on some of the stuff I've read in this thread, it sounds like leaving it on the street isn't a sure-thing. There's another 2 bikes on my block (one an older BMW K100, I think and the other is a Buell...XB9, I think). They seem to be safe (and are both uncovered); however I'm from the midwest and maybe that makes me a little more worried about theft :)
falconati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #14388
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,102
Motorcycle garages generally cost 150-200 per month. I consider it another expense of living in the city.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #14389
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
I could be completely off-base here but I think the cops figure "hey at least the kids aren't raping and robbing, let 'em have fun". And the result is that everyone on two wheels suffers through these nitpicking harrassment checkpoints.
Not off base at all. In a casual conversation with a local cop, this was almost exactly what he said when I asked him why the blatant dirtbike and quad hooliganism was being ignored. At least in this part of the city, there are more serious things for the cops to worry about.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #14390
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
Not off base at all. In a casual conversation with a local cop, this was almost exactly what he said when I asked him why the blatant dirtbike and quad hooliganism was being ignored. At least in this part of the city, there are more serious things for the cops to worry about.
My single exposure to the Bronx police was when Rutgers had their bowl game at Yankee Stadium this past fall. While riding around looking for a garage that wasn't full, a police office pulled the wife's Volvo station wagon over because my teenage son didn't have his seat belt buckled in the back seat. He had just undone it to fish something out of the back of the car.

My immediate thought was "aren't there more important crimes to worry about in the Bronx?" He didn't give us a ticket, but was very rude. Literally was flabbergasted.

I've always thought that most police officers are decent, hard working guys, but the profession still attracts the elementary school hall monitor bully who likes to push people around. Not all are wonderful folks like Eddie Gallagher. Let's not generalize, though. That's the problem with our motorcycle image.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #14391
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
Oh, c'mon new Nef, you saw the video of that ride that started at Kings Plaza. The cops were there holding up traffic so the bikes and quads and god knows what else could get out smoothly.
New Nef? What happened to the old hooligan Nef?

Do I remember the ride? Of course but what I remember was that the cops were working to protect the safety of the public. The quads and stunters were going to go regardless of traffic, red lights and pedestrians. What the cop did was make sure no one got hurt. Seems like the right thing to do in my book...
Old 06-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #14392
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERZERKOWITZ View Post
I have all but discarded most traffic laws because hey, why bother? on.
Name change to Anarchistowitz?

The city can be one of the most Kafkaesque places on the face of the earth. Stunt the streets in a completely illegal quad, no problem. Face shield up 1/2", ticket. Ignore the pure dirt bike doing wheelies, confiscate the otherwise legal bike because the owner doesn't happen to have his insurance card on him.

As previously implied, they prey on the lawful, who, let's face it, only comply because they have something to lose. And because they'll actually pay the fine.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #14393
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post

The city can be one of the most Kafkaesque places on the face of the earth. Stunt the streets in a completely illegal quad, no problem. Face shield up 1/2", ticket. Ignore the pure dirt bike doing wheelies, confiscate the otherwise legal bike because the owner doesn't happen to have his insurance card on him.

As previously implied, they prey on the lawful, who, let's face it, only comply because they have something to lose. And because they'll actually pay the fine.
Na, I understand the need for laws, I just don't like selective enforcement.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #14394
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconati View Post
Hey gang,

I'm new to the board and this thread. I'm in NYC (UES) on the weekends, and would love to get a motorcycle for when I'm here; however figuring out how/where to safely park has stopped me from any purchase (in addition to all the crap you poor New Yorkers have to go through like annual maintenance, bogus motorcycle checkpoints, etc). My main concerns are theft and expense.

I read earlier in the thread that some of you recommend motorcycle-specific garages (instead of the regular garages that supposedly specialize in motorcycles, but occasionally drop your bike while trying to move it to fit a huge SUV); however prices aren't posted on their online site. Anyone know how much these cost? Based on some of the stuff I've read in this thread, it sounds like leaving it on the street isn't a sure-thing. There's another 2 bikes on my block (one an older BMW K100, I think and the other is a Buell...XB9, I think). They seem to be safe (and are both uncovered); however I'm from the midwest and maybe that makes me a little more worried about theft :)
yup around 200. most dual sport bikes and modern sport bikes are at risk but it depends on the neighborhood. on the upper east side i always park it on the street uncovered and unchained and it hasn't gotten stolen (yet, knock on wood) but when in greenpoint i always chain her up. pending your location on the UWS you may be alright.
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #14395
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:

when i reported my xr stolen i briefly touch on the subject of these hooligan dirt bike riders with the cops who were writing up the report. they said that they would run, ride on the sidewalk and put the public at risk. i agree with their decision not to chase these hooligans but condemn their actions to target us legal riders who stay within the law. but then again i suppose that motorcycle only checkpoints are no more bias then the stop and frisk practices currently employed.
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #14396
Speedo66
Transient

When they schedule that Halloween ride, after they've assembled, close the street (and sidewalks) down in a stunningly quick move. They had no problem doing exactly that with the Wall St demonstrators.

Then confiscate anything illegal, and ticket for uninsured, unregistered, uninspected, etc.

Never happen though, makes too much sense, and big business isn't involved.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #14397
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
When they schedule that Halloween ride, after they've assembled, close the street (and sidewalks) down in a stunningly quick move. They had no problem doing exactly that with the Wall St demonstrators.

Then confiscate anything illegal, and ticket for uninsured, unregistered, uninspected, etc.

Never happen though, makes too much sense, and big business isn't involved.
Don't forget unlawful assembly...
Old 06-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #14398
Speedo66
Transient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwickKLR View Post
Don't forget unlawful assembly...
And mopery.

Have a feeling they might find lots of unlicensed operators among the unhelmeted.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #14399
hitmanlol
Cotor Myclist

Oddometer: 923
When's the next ride? I have my Rosie the Robot costume ready.
hitmanlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #14400
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanlol View Post
When's the next ride? I have my Rosie the Robot costume ready.
You just missed one. There was a decent size meetup for the PR Day Parade. Next one will be on July 4th... save your costume for the Halloween ride...