User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,939
Gilera Runner 180

Maybe, this should be in the flea market section, but, just thought I'd throw it out there...

I've got one. Titled in Rhode Island. It is the most bad ass 2stroke automatic ever made. hauls ass, and is tons of fun. I just never ride it. Very rare in the US, and this one is completely legal.

2002 Gilera Runner 180. around 2500 km, can't remember exactly.

$5000 firm. If you know what it is, you'll realize that is more than fair for such an amazing, rare bike. I have no time to crate it, so, please make it easy on me for your shipping solution, or better yet, come to RI, ride it and take it away.

Pm any interest.

cheers
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,231

Wow. Got pics? Never seen one in the US. Would love to have a Dragster 180 or Runner 180.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

here ya go

Old 03-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
R.Markus
Damage Addict

Oddometer: 1,146
Thumb

Very cool. Way out of my price range (which, right now, is $0-$20), but very cool.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Markus
Very cool. Way out of my price range (which, right now, is $0-$20), but very cool.
yeah. hopefully, noone will buy it, cos, I'll regret it
Old 03-16-2006, 07:56 AM   #6
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,974
OK, I don't know anything about Gilera...do tell.

(I'm trying to figure out the massive price tag)
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,338
Looks real nice... But I'd rather have a supercharged Peugeot.
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:43 PM   #8
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadMan
OK, I don't know anything about Gilera...do tell.

(I'm trying to figure out the massive price tag)
well, it's a killer bike, but, the price is what it is mostly just because they are so rare. They were never brought into the US legally, and most that are here, are not titled.

A friend has one, titled, in Las Vegas. He's asking $8,000 for his. Can't imagine he'd get it, but, ultimately, things are only worth what someone will pay. If someone wants one bad enough, who knows..

As far as scooters go, it doesn't get any better than the 2 stroke 180. The motor is the same in the Dragster 180 and Hexagon 180, none of which ever came to the US. This liquid cooled scooter will sit on the freeway at 75mph all day long, and smoke any car and most bikes on the street. It's quicker than my 1200GS up to around 60, I'd guess, and tons of fun. Alright, I've talked myself out of it, it's not for sale anymore
Old 03-16-2006, 10:43 PM   #9
ducsingle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
well, it's a killer bike, but, the price is what it is mostly just because they are so rare. They were never brought into the US legally, and most that are here, are not titled.
Keep in mind that since this bike isn't supposed to exist in the U.S., it can be impounded by the authorities at any time. Highly unlikely, but possible. Not a good way to lose several thousand $$$.
ducsingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:34 AM   #10
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducsingle
Keep in mind that since this bike isn't supposed to exist in the U.S., it can be impounded by the authorities at any time. Highly unlikely, but possible. Not a good way to lose several thousand $$$.

(psst. Urban legend. Or bad info.)
Old 03-17-2006, 06:36 AM   #11
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducsingle
well, how many grey market vehicles exist in the US? Tons. That may be on the books, but, I can't imagine it ever happening. This bike has a full legal title. When I took it to the local police department for VIN verification, the VIN # didn't exist. They didn't have a problem signing it off. The bike is here, and it's legal. The bigger issue is actually getting something like this into the country. If you got, you pay to send it back and are fined up to $10,000. That risk wasn't mine. At this point, it's as legal as my 05 GS.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:13 AM   #12
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
well, how many grey market vehicles exist in the US? Tons.
Different animal entirely. A "grey market" vehicle has to be certified to comply with US DOT and EPA certs before it can be licensed in the US. There are quite a few shop/labs around the country licesned to do this and it can cost upwards of $20K per vehicle. (Makes sense on a $250,000 Ferrari. On a Gilera, not so much.)

But you're mostly correct. Holding a legal title in your hand it's pretty certain you've successfully flown under the radar. The only issue would come up when and if you sold the Runner to someone in a state with higher compliance, it would come up in the DMV computer as "not designated for sale in USA" and they wouldn't be allowed to license it without the aforementioned paperwork, and would quite possibly recieve a letter from the .gov boys to relinquish it.

OTOH, having a title is no garauntee. A friend of my brother recieved a certified letter from the DOT three weeks after licensing of a Lotus Elan Series III detailing where and when he was to deliver the car to be crushed. He'd imported the car to race, but figured he'd at least give licensing it a shot. The Utah DMV complied then, apparently forwarded the VIN information on to the DOT. Ended up in a world of hurt because he hadn't done the "racing purposes only" paperwork BEFORE he imported it. I think it ended up costing him an extra $7500 in lawyer fees. In 1975 money.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #13
chasfactor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
I have owned one of these Gilera 180 Runners. I have owned many many scooters including P200E's, Rally 200's, VBB150's, P125's, VBB150 w/P200E engines, currently own a ET4 and Bajaj Chetak.

I bought the 180 for 2400 w/7K odo. I sold it for 2800 w/8k odo. No title. These scooters are absolutely wicked machines but not that much fun to ride due to the powerband.

5000 seems very high to me tho the machine is very clean and has clear title. Nice scoot for sure tho.

Ciao!

Chas Walter
chasfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:54 AM   #14
bajajcrazy
David

Oddometer: 2
I had a scooter friend with a grey market Runner. He told me that the company he bought it from imported it as a 50cc model and "upgraded" to the 180cc, basicly the paperwork says it's a 50 which can be imported even though it's really not a 50.
bajajcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:28 PM   #15
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

My runner is still available if anyone is interested. send me a PM. make it easy on me for $4000