Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
fire_strom OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Durango to Denver, Dirty

While looking at various ways to get to BV from Denver on dirt, jp68 mentioned going via Deckers. My previous route had been via Fairplay. jp68's was better so I assimilated it into my DGO-Denver route and was going to send it to him when I got the idea to post it. I though it might be of intrest to others, and some one might know of better options. So the follwing file is a .gpx done with mapsource software, auto-routed with City Select. In my routeing pref i have the road type slide bar two clicks from the left so you might get different results when you recalc these. The waypoints are either route related or from other options i was working on. Some are moto shops (weighted for KTM). The track is the way i went last summer. It was the B route as snow had forced a reroute. ANyone who knows better ways, please chime in. Or start more threads about dirty ways to get from A to B.
moto 2 front range.gpx.gpx
scott

fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
The Fist
Knulp

Oddometer: 3,584
Thanks Scott...
The Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
fire_strom OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thank me when we ride it this summer .
scott

Old 03-21-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
jp68
JP

Oddometer: 123
Thanks Scott, as soon as I figure out how to save the file I will post it. I probably should check it against the USGS maps we have at work. I've been working with MapSource U.S. Topo from Garmin and its hard to tell which roads are dirt and which are paved. The only way to really tell is to ride the route, however, there's just a bit to much snow in some places.
jp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,161
Oh.....it's further than I thought.....

Search function worked! Thanks for posting the tracks (way back when)

I'm riding from Denver to San Diego and thought Denver to Durango would be a good first leg......but I see it's ~380 miles if I followed your tracks......wow.....VERY long day if the route is more than 50% dirt....any recomendations to shave it down a bit or is more of it paved than it appears? I'll be traveling light and won't be equipped to camp (at least not by choice)

Any other tracks/recommendations out there to Durango or beyond Durango.....thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_strom
While looking at various ways to get to BV from Denver on dirt, jp68 mentioned going via Deckers. My previous route had been via Fairplay. jp68's was better so I assimilated it into my DGO-Denver route and was going to send it to him when I got the idea to post it. I though it might be of intrest to others, and some one might know of better options. So the follwing file is a .gpx done with mapsource software, auto-routed with City Select. In my routeing pref i have the road type slide bar two clicks from the left so you might get different results when you recalc these. The waypoints are either route related or from other options i was working on. Some are moto shops (weighted for KTM). The track is the way i went last summer. It was the B route as snow had forced a reroute. ANyone who knows better ways, please chime in. Or start more threads about dirty ways to get from A to B.
Attachment 69637
scott
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Looking for input (please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
Search function worked! Thanks for posting the tracks Any other tracks/recommendations out there to Durango or beyond Durango.....thanks!
"crickets"

So I was up til ~3am drawing the attached tracks in Mapsource.....was able use the tracks originally posted in this thread to get from Denver to Durango (thanks).....drew the rest of the tracks in Map Source using City Nav 09......lots of "dirty" Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) roads between Durango and the Grand Canyon......not sure if it'll be permissible to ride on those or not so stayed on pavement between Durango and the Grand Canyon.......mixed in some dirt again over by Sedona......then dirt up to old Hwy 66......over to Bull Head City/Fort Mojave......at that point the tracks get dirty again swinging south of Mojave Rd. and staying closer to Hwy 40......then paved up by Big Bear.....over to Idyllwild.....dirty again on Thomas Mtn through Anza....down to Warner Springs....Ramona.....but in all honesty I think I'll probably be so spent by the time I reach Bull Head City that I'll likely just drone it home from there on 95/78

Very Loose itinerary:

Plan to be rolling out of Denver early Tuesday....hope to reach Gunnison Tues night but who knows....maybe push on to mLake City and do th eAlpine Loop Wed morning before dropping down to Durango?

Durango by Wed night. (probably throw a new rear tire on the bike in Durango Thursday morning....leaving Denver with ~60% on a 606 rear.....it has a new MT21 on the front)

Grand Canyon/Sedona area Thursday night

Bull Head City Friday night

I'm not going to rush it through CO. or AZ......the main focus of the ride is Denver to Sedona area.......so if I'm running low on time/energy/ass comfort after I ride the ~1100 miles of track between Denver and Bullhead City , I may streamline the game plan at that point.......in fact it's quite likely I will.......please pipe in if you have any suggestions on places to see/ride/stay along the way.....I don't plan on camping.....but I'll have a bag/tarp just in case I get stuck out in BFE.

If I stay with the tracks beyond Bulll Head City, which isn't likely, it'll be Big Bear area on Saturday night then down and back up through Idyllwild/Anza/Warner Springs to Ramona on Sunday......mostly paved roads until Thomas Mtn/Anza (much more likely that I'll just drone it home from Bull Head City on Sat via 95/78 if running behind schedule or too wiped out)

Regardless, hope to be home by or before Sunday

This'll be the longest/continous trek I've ever taken on a bike (road or dirt).....guess that's why it's called "Adventure" riding.....
Attached Files
File Type: gpx CO Road Trip.gpx (512.6 KB, 248 views)

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 08-30-2008 at 08:15 PM
Old 08-31-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
fire_strom OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's not that far really, 9-10 hours. None of it is particularly technical. Lots of fast gravel. You could hop out on 50 and spend the night in Gunni. Congrats on the purchase. I don't know what the deal is between here and the GC. I think a lot of the res land is no go but I don't really know.
Scott

Old 08-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_strom
It's not that far really, 9-10 hours. None of it is particularly technical. Lots of fast gravel. You could hop out on 50 and spend the night in Gunni. Congrats on the purchase. I don't know what the deal is between here and the GC. I think a lot of the res land is no go but I don't really know.
Scott
Thanks for the feedback......I'm now thinking I might drop down 25 to 24 and go up Pikes Peak before cutting across 24 to intersect the tracks at Buena Vista. Adds on quite a few miles before Buena Vista but going up Pikes Peak seems like the appropiate/touristy thing to do (provided the weather isn't too pissy)

The Tuesday plan is to get over to Gunnison or, ideally, Lake City and then head out on the Alpine Loop Wed from Silverton before dropping down to Durango on 550 once I finish the loop.....is there a recommended direction to ride the Alpine loop from Silverton.....clockwise or counter clockwise?