User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
StingerCo OP
Mid life crisis #2

Oddometer: 95
My Honda Helix Mod. Thread!

Time to start a mod. thread for my 1995 Honda Helix. As stated in previous threads, I will be adding some Chrome bits to bling up the scoot. In the meantime, i bought a few products to detail her and make her shine, changed out the cruddy "Advertisement License Frame" from Honda of Hollywood to just a simple Chrome Frame (personalized plates have also been ordered), I put on a cheap FleaBay Motion Alarms, $8.00 get's what you pay for but it's enough to draw attention to anyone who decides to tamper with or touch the ride, and lastly for now, I stumbled upon a "Biker's Friend" bag just like the one that @Mr. B has! I got a great price on it at a little shop in Santa Cruz as I think it had been sitting around for a while. Paid $189.00 for the large size, best deal on-line that I could find was $219.00 and this is one heck of a product! Comfortable, useful AND good looking.

On other car forums that I participate in, there's an old saying that goes "It ain't true unless there's pics"! So, for your viewing enjoyment, here a few of them along with a little video of the alarm. Please, excuse my photography and filming skills :-)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbwB...m-upload_owner CLICK ON THIS LINK TO VIEW VIDEO OF ALARM SYSTEM!

StingerCo screwed with this post 10-26-2014 at 03:34 PM
StingerCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,884
Looking good SC. I have the small "Biker's Friend" on mine.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
StingerCo OP
Mid life crisis #2

I liked it the moment I saw it! I think it's better than a top box. Like I said above, I stumbled upon this case and it just happened to be a large. Nice thing about it is the large will fit 2 full helmets. Also on their website they show the Helix with a large so I just figured yours was a large as well. The most impressive thing about the bag is how comfortable the lumbar support makes the scooter. I'm really happy with it. Thanks for turning me on to this great product!
Old 10-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,243
Great looking bag! Is it strapped on, or is there some other kind of attachment?
CaptnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
klx250sfguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Biker's Friend is a great product from what I have read. Storage and added comfort all in one. If I had a Helix its the first thing I'd add.

That $8 alarm is the bees knees.

Congrats. You must be pretty happy (I know I'd be).

Keep us posted on any future mods.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:55 AM   #6
StingerCo OP
Mid life crisis #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Great looking bag! Is it strapped on, or is there some other kind of attachment?
Jim, it is strapped on. It comes with three different attachment types, being adjustable harness straps, bungees and reusable plastic ties, and the bag itself includes 4 "D" rings as securing points. To use it with it's "lumbar" feature the bag would be positioned on the passenger portion of a seat. There are ways to attach it by removing the seat and affixing it to the underside, but on the helix removing the seat requires a socket wrench so IMHO that way is not optimum.

I simply used the bungees and plastic ties and secured it to the grab bars. That way if I have a passenger I can easily move it and mount it to my "soon to come" luggage rack. If you go to the Biker's Friend website they show you many ways to rig it up to your bike.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
StingerCo OP
Mid life crisis #2

So, today I got around to ordering the following:

HONDA HELIX 250 CHROME CRANKCASE COVER, Big Chrome Honda Helix Passenger Grap Bar CN250, Honda Helix CN250 Chorme Center Stand and Side Stand, Five Pcs Chromed Honda Helix Parts Chrome Visors, windshield cover, fork cover, New a Pair of clear front turn signals for Honda Helix CN250, Honda Helix CN 250 Clear Reflectors, Seven Pcs Chrome Honda Helix Lower Panels Cn250, Honda Helix Cn250 Custom Made Led Bright Tail Light, Aluminum Floor Honda Helix CN250. It's a lot of stuff. Plus, my Chrome Rear Rack from Japan has arrived, and I am also going to order some PortaWall White Wall overlays. This transition is gonna be fun. Below are a couple of pictures of the look that I am after.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Custom Helix

Thats BAD ASS!
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
climbamt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingerCo View Post

Pimpin!!!!

~climbamt

02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
climbamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
i would forego the port-a-wall and either get white walls, or paint them white.

I've has a few friends where the port a wall got bound up into the forks and or rear shock and chain.... bad news
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
StingerCo OP
Mid life crisis #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
i would forego the port-a-wall and either get white walls, or paint them white.

I've has a few friends where the port a wall got bound up into the forks and or rear shock and chain.... bad news
Your right, that would NOT be good. I have looked all over and can't find any tire makers that make a white wall for the Helix. If anyone knows of such an animal please let me know.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #12
StingerCo OP
Mid life crisis #2

Round 1 - Parts Arrived!

Now I just need to make the time to fit them all.

Chrome Rear Rack

Chrome Grab Bars

Chrome Crankcase Cover

Chrome Windshield Trim, Side Visors and Fork Covers

Chrome Side Stand and Center Stand

Chrome Lower Panel Set (7 Pieces)

Clear Side Reflector Markers

Clear LED Front Turn Signals with Colored Bulbs

Clear LED Rear Rear Brake/Turn Signal with Colored Bulbs

Polished Aluminum Floor Panels

Polished Aluminum Passenger Foot Pegs

Polished Aluminum Brake Pedal
Old 11-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #13
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,931
nice job. Bolts on that rack have a habit or braking due to being not a good grade of bolt. At least that I ve read more then once.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #14
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingerCo View Post
Your right, that would NOT be good. I have looked all over and can't find any tire makers that make a white wall for the Helix. If anyone knows of such an animal please let me know.
If the port-a-wall doesn't work out for you, you could try what this guy did. Noting can really compare to the real deal, but this is the best thing he's found so far. It's a bit more involved process than just slathering cheap paint on the wheel, but with patience it seems acceptable and worth while; and better than everything else he's tried.
http://itistheride.boards.net/thread...itewall-update
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #15
StingerCo OP
Mid life crisis #2

Thank you for the suggestion. But it also suddenly dawned on me.......why not just have the wheels refinished by powder coat painting them. Maybe something like White rims with Black Spokes......heck, even all white could look kinda cool but will probably be a bitch to keep clean. I just may go this route.

I did talk with the tire shoppe that takes care of all our cars as well as the vehicles in my business. I asked them if they were familiar with Port-a-Walls and in their opinion how safe they would be with cycles. There response was that they have installed on them several times and never had a problem with them tearing away from the bead of the rim. Just FWIW.