User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
RideThePig OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Honda 90cc engine question

Howdy all. I recently bought a 1969 CM91 at an auction, and with the "help" of my 2 year old daughter have been trying to get it running again.

Found the clutch completely trashed, with almost 1/4" of clutch fiber, nasty oil, and just plain crud in the bottom of the engine, so I decided to split the cases to clean it out and just check things over. Before I did that I noticed that the crankshaft bearings fit loosely in the cases. Is this normal? I can spin the crankshaft bearing races in the engine case. Everything else looks pretty decent except for a severely worn shift fork, and clutch chunks everywhere.

I have the shop manual, but it doesn't really mention anything about the issue I'm wondering about. What ya think?
Thanks!
RideThePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:58 AM   #2
Eliter85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
The bearing could be seized, or could have seized at one point briefly causing it to wear out the seat. I'd just suggest getting new bearings. Not a costly investment. But otherwise unless its really worn I wouldn't see it causing any problems.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,083
Loose fitment of the main bearings to the engine case is not a good sign. they should be a nice tight, ( no play..) slightly sliding fit.

Sounds like this bike was seriously abused.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
RideThePig OP
Adventurer

Yeah, it's definitely a red flag. There is no actual play up and down, but they are slip fit in the case. There's also no sign of wear or seizing on either the bearings or the case. I thought they would have to be lightly pressed out. A more thorough look through the manual doesn't mention anything about pressing them out though, so maybe its normal. Either way, I'm not gonna have much money in this thing so I'll probably just run it unless I hear a definite answer. So far, my total investment is at $120.00 for the bike.

Also, does anyone have a hookup to the c90club.co.uk? A quick google search brings up a forum discussion on this subject, but I can't see it because I'm not a registered member. I've tried registering, sent three different emails to the mods, etc but nothing seems to be working. Maybe they don't want a yank in their club
Old 08-31-2014, 07:41 AM   #5
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
You might try the CT90 forum since the bikes are so similar. Lots of good experienced people there. http://hondatrailcts.yuku.com

If the loose fitting bearings are a problem you can use bearing mount goop. Locktite used to make it but I think it was bought out by Permatex.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
RideThePig OP
Adventurer

Cool!

Thanks for the link. Looks like just the thing I need!

RideThePig screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 06:19 PM