Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2006, 08:00 PM   #16
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenician
Hmmmmm.. I like what you have to say... how would an XR650R compare to the Dakar and 640 Adventure on the road?
I have about 30 minutes time on an XR650R, and my initial impression was that the bike was very smooth for a big dirtbike. Is it, or a 640 Adventure a better road bike than a Dakar? I personally don't think so.

You will see it mentioned here many times, "what are you going to use the bike for?" If a long day is a couple of hundreds miles of carving up the canyons with some technical 2 track thrown in for fun, than the XR may be your bike. If you plan on doing some long distance touring you will not be happy with one. Look at your XR650 thread, lots of people ride them on the street, I don't see anyone claiming to tour on them. I can't tell you how many people I know who bought and XR650 or LC4 or DRZ400, thinking that they were going to do a lot of dirt riding and found out that it wasn't their cup of tea. Remove the dirt from the equation and these are not the most fun bikes to pound the pavement on.

If you want to have fun in the dirt go buy an old XR250 it will have you grinning from ear to ear.

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:57 PM   #17
Phoenician OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
what kind of front end is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Not True! Chris's bike like Max's looks kind of stock, but they are far from it. I had a chance to ride Chris's bike and it must be one the best running Dakar's around.

Here is a picture of my bike, it is a work in progress as I will be turning it into a TT39 bike because I discovered a 700 mile range and nowhere to carry luggage is not a good combination.

Here is a picture of the cockpit of Chris's bike to give you and idea of what he has done. Everyone at TouraTech USA know Chris on a first name basis!

Jim in Sacramento
Dude, that is one nice bike... Can you tell me more about the front fork set up you have?
Phoenician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:05 AM   #18
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,338
Both bikes are sporting some really nice goodies. Makes me have TT envy!
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:17 PM   #19
User Name
Dobeck Performance

Oddometer: 190
Apparently some are swearing there will be a H1. If I were going to spend all the dough on a new suspension for my Dakar I might wait and trade on an H1 if it shows signs of coming. Seems like if you want an off road 650 thats gonna to be the one to have.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #20
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name
Apparently some are swearing there will be a H1. If I were going to spend all the dough on a new suspension for my Dakar I might wait and trade on an H1 if it shows signs of coming. Seems like if you want an off road 650 thats gonna to be the one to have.
My understanding is the H1 is going to be a Supermotard bike, 17 in wheels, small gas tank, 350 lbs etc. I don't think it is going to be a dirt/dual sport bike, nor will it be easily converted into one if so delivered.

Jim in Sacramento
Old 03-29-2006, 06:30 PM   #21
DA KLIXTER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
I think that Jim's and my bike are the same up front,other than my cowl frame and damper mount are homemade.Most every thing is available from TT.Not shown are my lites-I use a Hella fog lite for low beam,with an HID for high.Don't forget the heated grips and acc plug for the heated vest.

Chris
Old 03-29-2006, 06:37 PM   #22
dakariste
Over and over the hill...

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA KLIXTER
Dakariste,yeah,that was me.Thanks for the directions.Through no fault of yours I got lost a couple of times.It was great.Way more fun than the next day when I got lost AND almost ran out of gas.

Thanks,again, for the help on the road.

Chris
Well I am glad you made it! From Garberville to Hwy 36 to Hwy 3 is one lengthy stretch of remote road. I am glad you were able to find a station with gas in their tanks. I have really just begun to discover the dirt roads north of Hwy 36, lots of neat stuff up there.

Jim contacted me recently and is hoping to look over my bike setup to squeeze a few more miles out of his rig. I am reminded that I get 50mpg on the 2003 and the 2005 gets 70mpg...that said, you all have me thinking about the front forks....it's a never ending hobby!

Here's last weeks afternoon ride south of Hwy 36:
http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5289
A 1900 foot climb on a road made for horse and buggy.

And Jim, I am headed up to Snow Mountain above Stonyford this weekend if the weather holds up for my brother's construction project, rebuilding my dad's cabin...this weekend is mostly riding as we are fixing a water barrel but doing no construction. It's about 2.5 hour ride from Sac.

dakariste screwed with this post 03-29-2006 at 06:44 PM
dakariste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:37 PM   #23
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakariste
Here's last weeks afternoon ride south of Hwy 36:
http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5289
A 1900 foot climb on a road made for horse and buggy.

And Jim, I am headed up to Snow Mountain above Stonyford this weekend if the weather holds up for my brother's construction project, rebuilding my dad's cabin...this weekend is mostly riding as we are fixing a water barrel but doing no construction. It's about 2.5 hour ride from Sac.
Hi Paul,

Looks like you had a fun ride on Mud Flat, keep exploring I need someone to help sniff out new roads.

I'm hoping the weather holds for the weekend, if so I may try and meet up with you on Saturday which now looks like the best of the 2 days. I'll let you ride my bike so you can get a feel for the WP forks, I think Chris and I are sold on them.

Jim in Sacramento
Old 03-29-2006, 09:02 PM   #24
vrago
Plays with dirt

Oddometer: 898
Quote:
Not True! Chris's bike like Max's looks kind of stock, but they are far from it. I had a chance to ride Chris's bike and it must be one the best running Dakar's around.

Here is a picture of my bike, it is a work in progress as I will be turning it into a TT39 bike because I discovered a 700 mile range and nowhere to carry luggage is not a good combination.

Here is a picture of the cockpit of Chris's bike to give you and idea of what he has done. Everyone at TouraTech USA know Chris on a first name basis!

Jim in Sacramento
Is that my old rig? Sure looks pretty.

Never had a virago. It's my name.
vrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #25
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Vince!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrago
Is that my old rig? Sure looks pretty.
Hi Vince,

Not quite. I still have your old rig though, It is the only bike I own for the moment with hard bags. I keep thinking I will sell it but it is such a good running bike, I can't seem to pull the trigger. I picked up the Blue Beast from A&S on a special deal

How is the HP2 coming along? We need to plan a ride and get all the Nor Cal owners together for a fun weekend.

I was out in your neck of the woods on Sunday, I thought of you as I drove by Joy Rd.

Jim in Sacramento
Old 03-30-2006, 06:09 AM   #26
Commie
Kurwa Peligrosa

Oddometer: 2,955
How difficult was it to install the tt-39?
Old 03-30-2006, 06:54 AM   #27
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,739
Quote:
I was out in your neck of the woods on Sunday, I thought of you as I drove by Joy Rd.

Jim in Sacramento
Shame on you,, where's my tomatoes

That TT bike sure looks nice, I thought I seen that bike at A&S a few years back sitting on the pedestal, same bike yes?
Old 03-30-2006, 07:05 PM   #28
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
Shame on you,, where's my tomatoes

That TT bike sure looks nice, I thought I seen that bike at A&S a few years back sitting on the pedestal, same bike yes?
Hi James,

The tomatos are still in the Sac.

It is the A&S bike which was on the showroom floor for about 3 years.

Jim in Sacatomato
Old 03-31-2006, 02:06 PM   #29
dakariste

I looked at that bike several times! First it had the trailer, then the price changed and no trailer. I noticed it didn't have the wide footpegs when it was on the floor. I wasn't sure i would use the roadbook either, but I sure wanted that bike!

Jim, I guess it's time to put snow spikes on the tires if we want to ride the mountains this "spring"...
Old 03-31-2006, 02:14 PM   #30
dakariste

Quote:
Hi Paul,

Looks like you had a fun ride on Mud Flat, keep exploring I need someone to help sniff out new roads.

I'm hoping the weather holds for the weekend, if so I may try and meet up with you on Saturday which now looks like the best of the 2 days. I'll let you ride my bike so you can get a feel for the WP forks, I think Chris and I are sold on them.

Jim in Sacramento
sniff...snifff....lol ok!