User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
S/W OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Cold ride today

I went for a cold ride today through Southern NH. I am glad I had my heated grips. The only bikes I saw where a few Harleys and a few BMW adventure models. Other then my "adventure " Silverwing, I saw no other "scooters".
The roads were sparce of traffic and I avoided getting any speeding tickets
so it wasn't a bad day. It sprinkled rain a few times and I thought I saw a few snow flakes at the higher altitudes, it was just the cold that was harsh.
I would have taken some pictures, but, I still can't figure out how to post them here.
S/W
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
I rode my scoot about 50 miles today here in 'Bama. Temp was about 58-60 F. No wind protection on the Vino so I put about everything on I had. What was the temp up there today?
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
I rode late last night around Kettering and Bellbrook, Ohio. Put about 25 miles on the Elite, 99% at sub-50mph speeds. I had to stop at a Meijer store to buy a couple of turkey basters in order to remove some extra oil. I had filled it up when it was on it's sidestand instead of the centerstand. Lesson learned. It was only topping out at 51mph until I took some out.
I was cold (lowercase cold) probably mid-30s F here. A slight bit of precip here and there. Surprisingly light traffic for a late Saturday evening. Mad sure I got home before the bars let out.

I had a Hein Gericke winter coat, long johns, a sweatshirt and T, Carhartt coveralls, steel-toe boots, couple pairs of socks, winter riding gloves, and my new HJC flip-up helmet. That all was warm enough, especially below 40mph. That helmet rocks. Took an old fleece hat and put cut across the top of it. Instant cheap and effective neck warmer. That made the ride.
What do you wear for winter riding??
Godspeed y'all.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Brockster:

Bubbwife and self became interested in scooters again on our last visit to Dayton last July. We had driven the bikes up to do a little visiting and there were some scooter riders staying at the same hotel we were.

They were attending some sort of rally and had driven several hundred miles to get there. They were having a blast!

I have an Aunt and some cousins in Kettering...

P.S. On the GS, I plug in to keep warm. The neck covering thing is effective also.

BUBB screwed with this post 03-26-2006 at 09:43 PM
Old 03-28-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
oldmoped
size dont matters...

Oddometer: 51
1 week ago...
Attached Images

oldmoped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmoped
1 week ago...

Heated grips?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
S/W OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Winter clothes

I have CARHART Arctic Extreme coverals, extra thick gauntlet type gloves,
neck warmer, full face helmet (SYMAX), and arctic boots. The coveralls are made of 1000 denier Cordura and are water resistant. Cost around 150 bucks .
S/W
Old 03-28-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
Samarkand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I took a "triangle tour" through southern Quebec after work closed early this morning due to the police showing up with a search warrant. Very very long story involving my working at a telemarketing company and there being some kind of crackdown by the business fuzz of late.

Anywho, was at odds on a perfectly sunny spring day and I needed to burn off the fuel-stabilized gas somehow. So off I went. Nothing particularly scenic or challenging, although some of the Monteregie area provincial routes have decent kinks in the pavement. It's just that the scenery tends towards flat farmland. Nice when putting in summer, not so much when there's no greenery in the fields. Plus, major league frost heaves and cracks on some of the less-maintained stretches.

In the end it was more an endurance test to keep my mind off work issues. Still, there's some decent rolling hills east of the border crossing at Champlain, NY if you take the turn-off to route 202 to Hemmingford a few klicks north.

Sparky
Samarkand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:46 PM   #9
oldmoped
size dont matters...

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBB
Heated grips?
Nothing. It was only small, approx 20-25 mil, trip in countryside, with ordinary gloves, open-face helmet and skimask. Temp -12c.
With this 1,2hp engine impossible use some electrical things - generator only 7-8w.

http://oldmoped.karuperse.ee/talv/
oldmoped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
S/W OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Heated grips

I got some heated grip "WRAPS" from Aerostich.com. They wrap around the grips and are tightened with VELCRO. I thought they would make the grips to thick, but, it hasn't been a problem. They actually work better then I thought, and I had to make a switch to turn the heat down.