ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #781
ServoJockey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Somewhere a bit south east of Indianapolis. From looking through the windows it looks like the owners just locked up the doors one night and never came back. Tools laying neatly on tool benches and steel stock ready for the next horse.
I love the phone numbers; 101 or Res 003.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I dont know if this counts as a structure. A Lake Michigan cross lake ferry. Originally built to ferry railroad cars now it carries cars and RV's from Ludington to Manitowoc and back. At 410' it was built and launched in 1952 and still runs on coal and steam.

This is the business end of the boat. There is a large ramp on the lower level that opens allowing vehicle loading. Passengers also board there. The yellow lines are for staging vehicles. Employees load cars first, then RV's and trailers, motorcycles are owner loaded and secured last.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:47 AM   #782
robustus0007
Sniper

Oddometer: 81
Some pics from my rides..The place is several year old B.C., no one is sure about its history..

The Kattas Temple 600 B.C.

Another ride, was an adventure mostly...the place is several thousand B.C. years old. No traces of its history..

Old 12-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #783
cdhall
Krishl

Oddometer: 122
Windmill in Portugal, probablly not all that old, but ...
Old 12-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #784
hakancan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 9
A castle dated back to the byzantines (Gallipoli, Turkiye):

Not too old, but an abandoned mosque (northern Turkiye, Blacksea Region)

Old 01-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #785
bajones238
Retired

Oddometer: 60
For some intense viewing on this subject, check out: www.opacity.us.
bajones238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #786
jettech01
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
On the way to Sturgis 2004

Name:  On way to Sturgis 2004.JPG
Views: 2385
Size:  87.9 KB
A stop for relief and gas but found no gas.
jettech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #787
patsue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Tom
Here are some shots of an abandoned farm house east of Garden Grove, Iowa taken last weekend (Memorial Day)

I like the old TV antennae that looks like a giant bug on the roof

empty farmstead, empty country... the death of the family farm.

I saw this picture and about passed out. I grew up in Garden Grove and lived across the highway from this house about 300 yards west of it. This house belonged to my dad's football coach who was later my speech teacher in High School. I remember when he lived in it with his wife.

Good grief it is wierd to see something like this on this website.

Patrick
patsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #788
G-van drone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsue
I saw this picture and about passed out. I grew up in Garden Grove and lived across the highway from this house about 300 yards west of it. This house belonged to my dad's football coach who was later my speech teacher in High School. I remember when he lived in it with his wife.

Good grief it is wierd to see something like this on this website.

Patrick
Tell us more . . . . this is better than fiction . . . any idea what happened to the coach / teacher? What kind of timeframe are we talking about? How old are you? Any family there besides him and a spouse? Any kids? This guy's probably long gone . . . . it's always heartbreaking to see a house in this state of affairs . . . families lived there, kids grew up there, holidays were celebrated there.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #789
patsue
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, his name was Max Franklin. He taught at Mormon Trail High School in Garden Grove for 3 decades. My dad graduated in 1958 and Max "the bear" Franklin was his coach. A heck of a coach. He taught at Mormon Trail and farmed that farm from the 50's through the late 80's. He and his wife eventually moved to Humeston, Iowa about 7 miles east of Garden Grove where he retired. The school district was made up of three towns, Garden Grove, Humeston, and LeRoy. Humeston is where the school football field is and it was named after Max upon his passing sometime in the early 90's. I played on that field.

He was a heck of a teacher, a little stout bear of a man who ran his classroom like a Marine Corp Drill instructor. I took junior year english from him and he demanded perfection and I learned how to diagram sentences like you would'n't believe. We feared him but loved him.

I took speech my senior year and again, he demanded perfection. We memorized every speech we ever did and I ended up going to state and getting two "1" ratings and I owe it to him. I now am a pastor and I give him credit for the grammer- it helped me pass ancient Greek in college and of course his speech class.

His one son is still an attorney in Humeston. I don't know what his other son does, and he has a daughter who was some kind of big wig with some womens magazine as a photographer.

The house always looked terrible like that, I think he just didn't care and it was like one day he and his wife just moved out of it and went to humeston for retirement and there it all sits. I think that kids over the years knocked out the windows with rocks and the house really decayed after that. He was an absolute perfectionist in his teaching and a little eccentric. I think that explains the house. I remember him waddling around with a 5 gallon bucket of feed feeding the hogs he had in the buildings you see in the pics.

Funny story- Way back in the late 60's he won a raffle and won a brand new 1969 Buick Skylark. When he was home, that care was parked right where those bikes are parked in the pictures. He drove that thing at least through my graduation in 84. it was like rust on wheels and fit real well with the house.

I hadn't thought about this stuff for years. Really cool.

So that is the story of that house.
Patrick

patsue screwed with this post 01-14-2008 at 09:10 PM
Old 01-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #790
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,772
Just off Hwy68 in Tenn just south of Tellico plains

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:53 PM   #791
Shakey
Adventure Hooligan

Oddometer: 128
Great thread

Not really a structure ...but the fence is

All Calgary and Southern Alberta area
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #792
G-van drone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
>

Never would have guessed the place looked anything like that while they lived there . . . how strange.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #793
patsue
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-van drone
>

Never would have guessed the place looked anything like that while they lived there . . . how strange.
Well, it wasn't that bad in that the roof was falling in, but it needed painting badly and the yard didn't get mowed very much. Such a contrast with his professional life. Eccentric is the only way I can put it together.

Patrick
Old 01-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #794
DangerousDale
another place...

Oddometer: 25
Stokes Castle (Austin, Nevada)

"Started in the fall of 1896 and completed in June, 1897, by Ansom Phelps Stokes, mine developer, railroad magnate and member of a prominent eastern family, as a summer home for his sons, principally, J.G. Phelps. After the castle (or tower, as the Stokes family always referred to it) was completed, it was used by the family for one brief period in June and July 1897. Since then, with one possible exception, the structure has remained unoccupied."

"Stokes Castle is made of native granite, hewn and put in place by the ancestors of people still living in Austin. The huge stones were raised with a hand winch and held in position by rock wedging and clay mortar. The architectural model for the castle was a medieval tower Anson Stokes had seen and admired on an Italian campagna near Rome. It originally had three floors, each with a fireplace, plate glass view windows, balconies on the second and third floors, and a battlemented terrace on the roof. It had plumbing very adequate for the times and was sumptuously furnished."

(Quoted from a plaque next to the tower.)
Attached Images

DangerousDale screwed with this post 01-15-2008 at 10:15 PM
DangerousDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:29 PM   #795
DangerousDale
another place...

Oddometer: 25
View from Stokes Castle

This strange structure is located on a hilltop, out in the middle of nowhere. Here's a view from the site, looking west toward highway 50.
Attached Images

DangerousDale is offline   Reply With Quote