ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #1411
takemeaway
e-veel eyes
 
takemeaway's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Hotlanta
Oddometer: 260
Great Thread

Great thread and some fabulous shots and something I can actually contribute to!

Auraria, GA (ghost town)

takemeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #1412
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer
 
gogogordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula, So. California
Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40miledesertrat


Exactly here at 35.237304°, -115.501256°. That would be 22 plus miles from the Nevada border.
Thats the one....near Nipton, CA.
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #1413
40MileDesertRat
Born Again Pagan
 
40MileDesertRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 67km east of la república socialista de Kalifornia
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy
Thats the one....near Nipton, CA.
In Cima and yes it is. If you like that kind of stuff, the area is loaded with old mines, structures and debris from days gone by. Plus the riding in the Mojove is great this time of the year.

Cheers,

40Mile...
__________________
The Ice Age Made Me The Man That I Am Today


40MileDesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #1414
Tompound
M.M.S. Tommy
 
Tompound's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Oddometer: 364
Who has been here?


__________________
M.M.S.
(Multiple Motorcycle Syndrome)
TAT 2009 all of it and then some.
TET 2012 and then some
TWVT 2012
Tompound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #1415
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: SW N. Dakota
Oddometer: 432
In the interest of full disclosure, these photos weren't taken on a ride, but on a meander through Northern Ireland in a rental Nissan Micra in 2003. My brother married an Irish woman, so I used the wedding as an excuse to do a little overseas touring.

This photo shows a 13th Century Friary and graveyard, somewhere near the Northern coast of Northern Ireland. I had a crappy camera at the time, but still a pretty neat photo. I think the little 'foggy' spots were actually raindrops on the lens. Or maybe they're ghostly apparitions, who knows?

[IMG][/IMG]

A fortress (I don't recall the name or exact location) overlooking the sea on the Eastern coast of Northern Ireland, about 1000 years old, used to protect the coast from invasion from the sea (Vikings?). The signs there said that the highest, round part of the fortress was used as a defensive position of last resort if the rest of the fortress was overrun. Sounds like a fun place to live.

[IMG][/IMG]
__________________
____________________________________
2013 Honda CB1100
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #1416
scootac
Just a Traveler
 
scootac's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Central PA
Oddometer: 2,749
Not ready to fall down, but an old structure no less. Along Rt. 2 in Montana this summer.


__________________
The world is a book, those who don't travel, read but a single page

'81 R100RT, '04 ST 1300, '02 DR 650
scootac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #1417
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer
 
gogogordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula, So. California
Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40miledesertrat
In Cima and yes it is. If you like that kind of stuff, the area is loaded with old mines, structures and debris from days gone by. Plus the riding in the Mojove is great this time of the year.

Cheers,

40Mile...
The wife and I did the desert this weekend....on our Vespas! That trip was already planned, BEFORE we got our DR650 and XT250....which we'll be headed back on out that way soon. We hit Searchlight, Oatman, and Kingman over the weekend at 741 miles.

Any recommendations in your neck of the woods?
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #1418
40MileDesertRat
Born Again Pagan
 
40MileDesertRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 67km east of la república socialista de Kalifornia
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy
The wife and I did the desert this weekend....on our Vespas! That trip was already planned, BEFORE we got our DR650 and XT250....which we'll be headed back on out that way soon. We hit Searchlight, Oatman, and Kingman over the weekend at 741 miles.

Any recommendations in your neck of the woods?
741 miles on Vespas??? Anyway, hold that thought, I do. What specific area are you thinking about and what is your riding style?
__________________
The Ice Age Made Me The Man That I Am Today


40MileDesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #1419
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer
 
gogogordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula, So. California
Oddometer: 1,866
Desert in the winter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40miledesertrat
741 miles on Vespas??? Anyway, hold that thought, I do. What specific area are you thinking about and what is your riding style?
Well, we rode from Temecula, to Yucca Valley through Lucerne Valley, into Barstow (really enjoyed that road Hwy 247) We took I-15 to Cima road and through that part of the Mojave National Preserve which was one of our favorite parts of the ride....but the our favorite was Oatman Hwy (Rte 66) from Oatman to kingman....thats kind of our style....off the beaten path....great scenery to look at, no 7-11's. Of course on Vespas that also means paved....The road into Nipton (Ivanpah?) was real nice too.


Our next foray out there will be on our new dual-sports....I'd like to see the springs at Zzyzx, and some of those mining sights, etc. Perhaps more of the Mojave Preserve. I also will go to Landers Rock, (I made it about as far as possible on pavement on my former Piaggio Mp3.)



Any sights like that you would recommend....historical, geological, etc that a man and his wife can pursue, (NEW to the DS type of riding) we love it out that way and really enjoyed the scenery! Thanks!

gogogordy screwed with this post 11-11-2009 at 06:55 PM
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #1420
40MileDesertRat
Born Again Pagan
 
40MileDesertRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 67km east of la república socialista de Kalifornia
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy
Well, we rode from Temecula, to Yucca Valley through Lucerne Valley, into Barstow (really enjoyed that road Hwy 247) We took I-15 to Cima road and through that part of the Mojave National Preserve which was one of our favorite parts of the ride....but the our favorite was Oatman Hwy (Rte 66) from Oatman to kingman....thats kind of our style....off the beaten path....great scenery to look at, no 7-11's. Of course on Vespas that also means paved....The road into Nipton (Ivanpah?) was real nice too.


Our next foray out there will be on our new dual-sports....I'd like to see the springs at Zzyzx, and some of those mining sights, etc. Perhaps more of the Mojave Preserve. I also will go to Landers Rock, (I made it about as far as possible on pavement on my former Piaggio Mp3.)



Any sights like that you would recommend....historical, geological, etc that a man and his wife can pursue, (NEW to the DS type of riding) we love it out that way and really enjoyed the scenery! Thanks!
I'm thinking that if you like the desert, now is the time to head to Death Valley. The entire area is laced with paved and dirt roads. You could start at the 15 and head North on the old 40-mule route via the Excelsior Mine Road. Some dirt, but mostly paved and it will take you to Tecopa on the Old Spanish Trail. After Tecopa, on to Shoshone and Death Valley via 178 or 127 through Death Valley Junction.

Exiting DV, ride West and do Wildrose Road to the Kilns and then into the Panamint Valley. Catch Ballarat, Panamint Springs, Darwin Fall and Darwin.

After that, loop back via DV or head to Trona and back to the 15 on a long loop to ??.

North of Vegas on the 95 or the 93 the weather window will close soon. You go from 2,000 feet to over 4,000 in 100 miles. Snow is possible and ice is expected. So don't play up there after November unless you are prepared.

PM me and I'll send you a track.
__________________
The Ice Age Made Me The Man That I Am Today



40MileDesertRat screwed with this post 11-13-2009 at 07:50 AM
40MileDesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #1421
takemeaway
e-veel eyes
 
takemeaway's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Hotlanta
Oddometer: 260
So envious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy
Any sights like that you would recommend....historical, geological, etc that a man and his wife can pursue, (NEW to the DS type of riding) we love it out that way and really enjoyed the scenery! Thanks!
Ohhh...so envious! I am so happy that you get to explore the area and wish I were still there. Definitely Death Valley is a must at this time of year. But if you want some historical try hitting Amboy on the little jog of Route 66 from I-40 just north of Twenty-Nine Palms. It was a couple empty buildings years ago when I would go through. But I have heard that they are starting to build it back up. But need to stop and see the volcano (yes there really is one there).

For some serious dirt bike go to Apple Valley north of Big Bear, even climb the mtn to the backroads of Big Bear/Fawnskin.

Oh...have some fun for me!!
takemeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #1422
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer
 
bk brkr baker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: The Bluegrass
Oddometer: 5,071
Yard Donkey,Camp 18, Elsie, Oregon.

bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #1423
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer
 
airborndad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Montclair Ca.
Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker
Yard Donkey,Camp 18, Elsie, Oregon.

Fascinating what the F is it ? any more pics ? any history / details ?? What type of waterway was it for ? What does it do ?? It looks gianormus
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #1424
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC
 
summerinmaine's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Humboldt Bay & San Felipe BCN
Oddometer: 42,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad
Fascinating what the F is it ? any more pics ? any history / details ?? What type of waterway was it for ? What does it do ?? It looks gianormus

Mule for dragging logs. Not meant to be floated, those skids are for dragging it around by a Cat.

Steam powered, most likely.

Grand dad was a millright and master carpenter for Erskine Lumber. I used to play on one of these when I was a little tyke.
__________________
.

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:53 AM   #1425
skeeter650
Gnarly Adventurer
 
skeeter650's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: iron mountain, mi
Oddometer: 167
Groveland Mine near Randville, MI
skeeter650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014