User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2006, 02:04 AM   #16
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Hi another pic
[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Stephen/Desktop/capital%20coast%20adv%20004.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images

Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:14 AM   #17
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
yo Aslan

nice write up on the sth island trip. makes ya wanna head dstraight down that way and do a ride.

and i see Garry W did the 42nd traverse a while back. ( a good keen man) no helicopters needed

bike = the purple pig

Steve in NZ screwed with this post 04-03-2006 at 02:37 AM
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:31 AM   #18
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,446
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NZ
wht costs $29200 and doesthat iclude on road costs and any xtras
Obviously doesn't include $400 bucks worth of tyres.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:39 AM   #19
msmckeon
Just ahead of the sweeps

Oddometer: 88
Help me out here fellow adventurers. I dunno if this guy is an AdvRider or not, but I'll just send him a link to this thread in a few days. I don't think I'll need to reply.

4Skins

I guess there is "nowt as queer as folk".

Michael
msmckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:59 AM   #20
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,446
Puke Losers? NOT

[My earlier post seems to have gone AWOL...]

Top event John! 'Twas all good. As has been said before, a fantastic mix of riding, and sounds like plenty of folks pushed a few personal boundaries, helped along by the comraderie in the true adventure riding spirit.

AFAIK the awards are for encouragement and entertainment. Stupidity shouldn't be rewarded, but f*ck-ups can be challenging and entertaining. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" an' all that. I was there on the night; we all enjoyed it. Maybe (name removed) should've been there, too.

CT110 vs. $29200.00 bike: postie bike wins my vote, every time, no matter the event. If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #21
Loopy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Eh? It's not the size that counts ....yaddie yaddie yar

Poor chap (your "name removed to protect the innocent" writer)..

He should have checked with at least one of us ct110 riders before he started whining.

Little did he know that Honda CT's aren't the cheap little bikes they used to be, oh no those days are long gone!

That little beastie cost me $175,000 six years ago (luckily it came with a double garage which was attached to a house) & don't even start on the cost of tyres for the damn thing (the ash-felt/ plastic combination had to be specially imported into this country for this particular model, with specially spaced knobs purpose designed for hells gate section !).

But I think the real reason for his gripe was that it is possible to ride a CT110 side saddle & still pass the occasional wobbly bemma.

Thanks for a great day John, ( I thank you & my kidneys thank you for the round trip to places in my body they have never been before) .

XXXXOOOOOXXXX

Loopy (A GIRL)

Loopy screwed with this post 04-03-2006 at 09:59 PM
Loopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #22
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy
Loopy (A GIRL)
Aha, I won't forget that plate for a while :-). Well done. I should keep one of these "bikes" in my tool kit, just for river crossings. Welcome to advrider
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:58 PM   #23
Loopy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
next year: waterproof tyres!

Any sugestions for machine of choice for 2008?

Remember my budget is slightly less that 29 grand. (acutally more around the tyre cost budget for a beema)

....you are doing this again in 08? John?

Loved the Trumpy turning up in some on the weirdest places on the ride: places you just don't expect to see a mountain goat never mind something that wouldn't look out of place in a 1960's Club 25 photo!

I saw the Trumphy gassing up at the BP in Mana & though "na, there is no way in hell that is going on this adventure ride" Again I saw the trumpy at the breifing "Maybe his first bike of choice wouldn't start this morning"

excellent riding skills who ever you are!

MD had a huge grin on his face where ever I saw him on the ride, shame on you Billy for not bringing the Velo. Mind you there may have been extra whining involved if it did make a showing.
Loopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:11 PM   #24
wayneg
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb Thanks for the ride guys!

Yes I wholeheartly agree with Loopy. My CT110 was a very large investment as well. When I bought it I hoped not to get into one of those "mine is bigger than yours" arguments with anyone. This is probably because I would lose most of those arguments and therefore become a "loser" (105cc isn't a lot really is it?). It may be that I'm missing something vital here and should have bought some $400 tyres for the CT......just to put something back into the sport, so can you correct me if I'm wrong?

I had great fun on the ride and really enjoyed riding with all sorts of people on the day. It was an experience well worth reliving in 2008, but probably on a much larger bike.......(which might have things such as suspension and brakes and power etc). My kidneys aren't in too good condition now either.

I must apologise if I had inadvertantly barged in front of people or rode too aggressively on the first part of the ride. I was really worried that I would be way too slow on the motorway and get left so far behind that I wouldn't have the option of completing the event. As it turned out the CT didn't miss a beat all day and was fast enough to finish things. Nothing broken, scratched or bruised. And thanks to the helpers at devils gate - the standard centrestand is much lower than those little rocky steps.

Anyway I had a great time and am still smiling sporadically whenever I think of some of my 'awkward little moments' during the ride.

So thanks John and your team of helpers for putting on a well organised and extremely damn good fun event. Well done.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:13 PM   #25
4Skins OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Wink Speaking of 2008...

The next CCA will be aroung the beginning of March 2008.

The manager of one of the blocks of public land where we went came on the ride. I had an email from him on Sunday saying that there could be MORE land available for "such events" in the future. Can't say much more than that.

I have a fair idea where the next ride will go and I reckon it would be more than 50% new (ie not used on any of the three CCAs to date), all still within a 30 km radius of the city.
4Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #26
Oscar
Assburger

Oddometer: 16,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy
Any sugestions for machine of choice for 2008?

Remember my budget is slightly less that 29 grand. (acutally more around the tyre cost budget for a beema)

....you are doing this again in 08? John?

Loved the Trumpy turning up in some on the weirdest places on the ride: places you just don't expect to see a mountain goat never mind something that wouldn't look out of place in a 1960's Club 25 photo!

I saw the Trumphy gassing up at the BP in Mana & though "na, there is no way in hell that is going on this adventure ride" Again I saw the trumpy at the breifing "Maybe his first bike of choice wouldn't start this morning"

excellent riding skills who ever you are!

MD had a huge grin on his face where ever I saw him on the ride, shame on you Billy for not bringing the Velo. Mind you there may have been extra whining involved if it did make a showing.
We all had a go on the Trumpy. I rode it through the 23 water crossings - this is a bike that shouldn't work off road but does. It should be bad, it's too heavy, the suspension is suspect, the brakes are not exactly race bred, but you can't keep the grin off of yer face whilst riding it. It's more than the sum of it's parts.

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:24 AM   #27
danger_dave
Home again

Oddometer: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar
It's more than the sum of it's parts.

I even think I did pretty well on the Scrambler - I found it easy to ride - and was keeping up with you guys on the non-challenge sections reasonably.

i overtook a dozen bikes on the first ascent on it.

AS I says - 'ride the bike - not the spec sheet'.

The man with the sick skills is Stretch Lupton - resident Kiwi Rider tester and stunt man.

I knocked around with some World and Aussie champs back home - and he's as trick as any i've ridden with.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:58 AM   #28
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
dave COHEN

i just had a look thru ya photos. bloody fantastic

i c u even went on a road u won't see oscar on

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:54 PM   #29
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,374
YOU DA MAN!

Credit must also go to all the riders who obviously behaved themselves where it was appropriate.

& welcome to the asylum Loopy & wayneg, CT110's are cool. I had quite a chuckle over the 110GS Dakar graphics.

Cheers
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Skins
The next CCA will be aroung the beginning of March 2008.

The manager of one of the blocks of public land where we went came on the ride. I had an email from him on Sunday saying that there could be MORE land available for "such events" in the future. Can't say much more than that.

I have a fair idea where the next ride will go and I reckon it would be more than 50% new (ie not used on any of the three CCAs to date), all still within a 30 km radius of the city.

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:44 PM   #30
wayneg
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Yes the stickers were a bit of a laugh - I can't take credit for thinking them up though, that should go to Andrew Templeton of Roadsafe. They do fit in well with the image of the bike and its capabilities, as it would probably go from Paris to Dakar on the one tank of gas...........

Still buzzing about the ride on Saturday, now I just need to get the KTM all road legal.
Attached Images