ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 12:03 AM   #31
HP2NZ
HP2NZ
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 1
Thumb Hp2

John,

Well done on the ride. I'm replying because I've already had people asking me if it was me complaining! I paid more than $29,000, rode two up on the HP2 with a son on an XR250 in tow and thought the event was great for big bikes! It's a bloody adventure ride folks ... tracks get rutted, hills get wet and riders get tired! I picked up at least four bikes - 3 of whom had done something stupid and one who despite advice rode a GS1150 on road tyres. Despite this, he would have actualy made it if he'd given it some gas. The guy who's complaining needs to pull his head in - Stuart is over 60 years old - you want him to lift your bike! He would have rather been riding than marshalling. Prizes are for fun - if you want an award for making a hill on a big bike then pat yourself on the back.... 2 days next time thanks John!
HP2NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:08 AM   #32
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!
 
Kokopelli's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Rapaura
Oddometer: 4,588
I was intrigued how the guy with the bald tyre got on, surprisingly well by the look of it.



It was good to see an HP2 in action. Was it you who had the tape stuck to the seat, I wondered what that was for and how it would improve BMW's finest.

After reading that letter/email I didn't take it seriously, and I still wonder if it was. A Kiwi Rider subscribtion is a neat price, but surely not worth a bitch like that?

Had this been a two day event I wouldn't have been able to go. I had to ride down and back, getting time of work randomly is near impossible for me. We need someone to organnize and event like this closer to Auckland :-). I am sure there is some good riding in the Waikato.

One of the attractions of an organized event is the fact that there are plenty of resources available should things go wrong (shut up Steve:-). I'll be keeping an eye out for similar events.

I am thankful to the organizers for having taken the time and effort to make this happen. John, I hope Vege doesn't make you pay for your subscription.

I have actually started to read the back half Kiwi Rider, so now I am getting twice the value :-).
__________________
R1150GS
R80GS Basic
__________________
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:55 AM   #33
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap
 
Steve in NZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
. We need someone to organnize and event like this closer to Auckland :-). I am sure there is some good riding in the Waikato.

One of the attractions of an organized event is the fact that there are plenty of resources available should things go wrong (shut up Steve:-). I'll be keeping an eye out for similar events.

I am thankful to the organizers for having taken the time and effort to make this happen. John, I hope Vege doesn't make you pay for your subscription.

I have actually started to read the back half Kiwi Rider, so now I am getting twice the value :-).
i am thinking about buying an HP2, do they do a road kit for one yet. A waikato ride one would be good. Of course there would have to be a mandotory crosssing of thompsons track would have to be done. took me about 5 hrs last time by myself with road tyres and two days off work as i had puled every muscle in me body. could always send Stewit up there on his TDM to check it out. they kindly let me use the waterbaster at the katikati bus depot as the rear wheel was solid in mud and at one stage i had the cyclinder heads and the rear wheel underwater stuck in a puddle.
__________________
Cheers Steve

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:40 AM   #34
Broo C em
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Broo C em's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: NP, Taranaki, NZ
Oddometer: 177
Wicked Mr 'Name (presently!) Unknown', aka the 29K$ man.

Fellah, there are MANY things that are a p.i.t.a to ride organisers, & other riders. . . sure, lotsa guys are SO thick they shouldnt be allowed to ride out of sight on a dark night, they can NOT read a map or follow instructions, they dont help others, dont carry spares, yada yada yada. . but guess what ~ that is just how the human race is, & someone supposedly as upmarket-smart as you really orter know that by now!

Far worse than the average run-of-the-mill basic plonker however is the deliberately arrogant & ignorant puff-head who sees himself as something special or somehow 'above' the common herd, & there is a shared characteristic of these guys which I find REALLY fascinating. It is this ~ that they (nearly) always ride a late-model GS beemer!

My first sighting of the species was at about the 1990 Tunnel Tour, & yer Mr "I'm the greatest" showed up to register, late of course, like 30mins before the start, brand-new R100GS-PD & both him & 'her onna back' decked out in BM clothing that added up to more than most peoples bikes, but NO roller box!
I pointed out to him that without one his day was gonna be not very enjoyable, but he reminded me that I'ld posted him a set of routesheets earlier as requested (I hadnt thought too much about why he wanted em) . . told me that he had transposed all the directions onto an AA map for 'her onna back' to read & navigate from! I told him it would NOT work, mostly coz we dont folllow the lines on the fckn AA map, & that he had better ask someone (who DOES know what they're doing!) if he could follow them .. . but again Mr Beemer wants to fckn argue the toss, like he is SO thick that he cant/WONT listen to the advice of the guy who has organised the damn ride!

This guy was last sighted in the vicinity of the first checkpoint, some time after which he (presumably) left the event & went off on his own mystery tour . . . the prick didnt even have the decency or smarts to tell someone he didnt wanna play any more .. . he was also about the only missing rider I didnt ever bother to go looking for .. .

Anyroad, why is it that SO many of this breed are found on late-model GS then. . . .I think the answer is (with acknowledgements to Zen & TAOMCM) that there are lotsa punters around with loads of dosh but little experience, or sense, or discrimination. . . & they think that 'More expensive MUST = Better/Best', so they go spending heaps more than is required, on overhyped products, & then ride around in Stinkless-Shit mode enjoying how clever/cool they are . . .

Well, MR 29,000 dollar man, you ask what a Honda CT110 is 'all about'. . . what it is about pal, is taking the PISS out of arrogant dumbo shit-heads like YOU! The CT riders woulda had a ball, riding such light cheap bikes that wouldnt be damaged by a fall (down a cliff even!), unlike YOUR lardy behemoth . .. & gained a HUGE sense of achievement, nevermind showing that ya DONT have to spend up large to get there or have a hooting GREAT time .. . & without even using gas!


So, meditate on this, 29k man, "Richness isnt measured by how much ya got, but by how little ya NEED!". Also by how much other people enjoy being around you .. . . & you sound damn near fckn bankrupt to me & mosta the others on here too!

Hey 'skins, sorry I couldnt make it, hopefully NEXT time .. . say hi to L'Orange for me huh! ;-))

BrooC Diesel
__________________
"Angle parked in a Parallel Universe"

Broo C em screwed with this post 04-06-2006 at 04:06 AM
Broo C em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:48 AM   #35
Ribald
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Oddometer: 4
Hey, humans will be humans and I guess we all have been stuck in a hole or stranded with a flat tyre with out the right equipment, I know I have. I was helping out and riding up front on my nice light well behaved KTM. Big respect to you guys navigating the "mother ship" through some of that goop. But over all what a great crowd! looking forward to the next one....Thanks John.........and how do you make that DR go like that?
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:50 AM   #36
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.
 
Eaglebeak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Perth.
Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broo C em
Fellah, there are MANY things that are a p.i.t.a to ride organisers, & other riders. . . sure, lotsa guys are SO thick they shouldnt be allowed to ride out of sight on a dark night, they can NOT read a map or follow instructions, they dont help others, dont carry spares, yada yada yada. . but guess what ~ that is just how the human race is, & someone supposedly as upmarket-smart as you really orter know that by now!

Far worse than the average run-of-the-mill basic plonker however is the deliberately arrogant & ignorant puff-head who sees himself as something special or somehow 'above' the common herd, & there is a shared characteristic of these guys which I find REALLY fascinating. It is this ~ that they (nearly) always ride a late-model GS beemer!

My first sighting of the species was at about the 1990 Tunnel Tour, & yer Mr "I'm the greatest" showed up to register, late of course, like 30mins before the start, brand-new R100GS-PD & both him & 'her onna back' decked out in BM clothing that added up to more than most peoples bikes, but NO roller box!
I pointed out to him that without one his day was gonna be not very enjoyable, but he reminded me that I'ld posted him a set of routesheets earlier as requested (I hadnt thought too much about why he wanted em) . . told me that he had transposed all the directions onto an AA map for 'her onna back' to read & navigate from! I told him it would NOT work, mostly coz we dont folllow the lines on the fckn AA map, & that he had better ask someone (who DOES know what they're doing!) if he could follow them .. . but again Mr Beemer wants to fckn argue the toss, like he is SO thick that he cant/WONT listen to the advice of the guy who has organised the damn ride!

This guy was last sighted in the vicinity of the first checkpoint, some time after which he (presumably) left the event & went off on his own mystery tour . . . the prick didnt even have the decency or smarts to tell someone he didnt wanna play any more .. . he was also about the only missing rider I didnt ever bother to go looking for .. .

Anyroad, why is it that SO many of this breed are found on late-model GS then. . . .I think the answer is (with acknowledgements to Zen & TAOMCM) that there are lotsa punters around with loads of dosh but little experience, or sense, or discrimination. . . & they think that 'More expensive MUST = Better/Best', so they go spending heaps more than is required, on overhyped products, & then ride around in Stinkless-Shit mode enjoying how clever/cool they are . . .

Well, MR 29,000 dollar man, you ask what a Honda CT110 is 'all about'. . . what it is about pal, is taking the PISS out of arrogant dumbo shit-heads like YOU! The CT riders woulda had a ball, riding such light cheap bikes that wouldnt be damaged by a fall (down a cliff even!), unlike YOUR lardy behemoth . .. & gained a HUGE sense of achievement, nevermind showing that ya DONT have to spend up large to get there or have a hooting GREAT time .. . & without even using gas!


So, meditate on this, 29k man, "Richness isnt measured by how much ya got, but by how little ya NEED!". Also by how much other people enjoy being around you .. . . & you sound damn near fckn bankrupt to me & mosta the others on here too!

Hey 'skins, sorry I couldnt make it, hopefully NEXT time .. .give L'Orange a kiss (or something!) for me huh! ;-))

BrooC Diesel
Jeez Broo, you've gone and pinched my Avatar !

Seriously, I'm on my fourth BM since 1978 and I couldn't agree with you more ! (but I'm not on a GS) I hope he's on this site to read others opinions of his attitude.

In defence of us poorer BM riders, we're not all like that. I still strongly believe it's not what you ride it's who you are.
Under most circumstances ...if you ride, you're my friend.
(this complaining wanker excluded)

Andrew Linton.
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:21 AM   #37
Broo C em
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Broo C em's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: NP, Taranaki, NZ
Oddometer: 177
Eek Hey Igglepeep. .

.. that birds been riding with ME fer years, go git ya own feathery friend!

Re moaners on beemers, Ive had a bunch of em (beemers, used) over the years, still got a an '87 PD in fact (aka 'TrailerQueeny'), but that characteristic I was on about seems to manifest on late-model jobbies as the model-years tick by, if ya see what I mean . .. . . . ie the guy who shat me in '91 was on a '90.

Still'n all it COULD all be much worse ~ wait till those neo-Harely Buell 'trailies' start showing up at rides ;-))
__________________
"Angle parked in a Parallel Universe"
Broo C em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #38
danger_dave
Home again
 
danger_dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Brisbane, Quinslund
Oddometer: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broo C em

Still'n all it COULD all be much worse ~ wait till those neo-Harely Buell 'trailies' start showing up at rides ;-))

Just as soon as somebody makes a knobby tyre to suit it baby!
__________________
Dave's Place
danger_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #39
Broo C em
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Broo C em's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: NP, Taranaki, NZ
Oddometer: 177
Laugh

.. . cant ya just buy those tyres already fitted to a superior V-Twin scoot anyway .. .KTM make em! Arf arf ucken arf! ;-))
__________________
"Angle parked in a Parallel Universe"
Broo C em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #40
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!
 
Kokopelli's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Rapaura
Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broo C em
.. that birds been riding with ME fer years, go git ya own feathery friend!

Re moaners on beemers, Ive had a bunch of em (beemers, used) over the years, still got a an '87 PD in fact (aka 'TrailerQueeny'), but that characteristic I was on about seems to manifest on late-model jobbies as the model-years tick by, if ya see what I mean . .. . . . ie the guy who shat me in '91 was on a '90.

Still'n all it COULD all be much worse ~ wait till those neo-Harely Buell 'trailies' start showing up at rides ;-))
Interesting theory. In your opinion, does one become less of a wanker as your GS ages? In my theory these people had character deficiencies well before they settled on a make of bike. Then again often it this will depend on the one's perspecive :-). Somehow I don't think we've confinced 4Skin's friend that he should have stopped at the 2$ shop for a prize.
__________________
R1150GS
R80GS Basic
__________________
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:57 PM   #41
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!
 
Kokopelli's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Rapaura
Oddometer: 4,588
I just stumbled on this BrooC, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129440
I may have to stand corrected :-).
__________________
R1150GS
R80GS Basic
__________________
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:54 PM   #42
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser
 
clintnz's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Rotoiti, New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_dave
Just as soon as somebody makes a knobby tyre to suit it baby!
...& the dealer stocks up on $$$$ cast wheels
__________________
'03 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #43
Broo C em
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Broo C em's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: NP, Taranaki, NZ
Oddometer: 177
Laugh Re Koko etc

Quoth Koko;-
Interesting theory. In your opinion, does one become less of a wanker as your GS ages? In my theory these people had character deficiencies well before they settled on a make of bike.

Nah nah, the clue is that THOSE kinda guys never keep the Beemer long enough for it to start looking 'aged' .. . they trade up (gotta have the LATEST & GREATEST ya see) . .. & when they trade then a slightly poorer clone of emselves can buy in to the 'BMW Experience' thing see .. .
So, the OLDER ya beemer is the less suspect ya are . .. by the time it has become a 2valve Airhead like mine & Vegies etc ya OBVIOUSLY got ya head sorted!

HTH, BrooC ;-))
__________________
"Angle parked in a Parallel Universe"

Broo C em screwed with this post 04-06-2006 at 05:00 PM
Broo C em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:52 PM   #44
Oscar
Assburger
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Karakariki, New Zealand
Oddometer: 16,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broo C em
Quoth Koko;-
Interesting theory. In your opinion, does one become less of a wanker as your GS ages? In my theory these people had character deficiencies well before they settled on a make of bike.

Nah nah, the clue is that THOSE kinda guys never keep the Beemer long enough for it to started looking 'aged' .. . they trade up (gotta have the LATEST & GREATEST ya see) . .. & when they trade then a slightly poorer clone of emselves can buy in to the 'BMW Experience' thing see .. .
so, the OLDER ya beemer is the less suspect ya are . .. by the time it has become a 2valve Airhead like mine & Vegies etc ya OBVIOUSLY got ya head sorted!

HTH, BrooC ;-))
Yes, Veges head is well sorted...
__________________

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #45
Broo C em
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Broo C em's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: NP, Taranaki, NZ
Oddometer: 177
No good ME trying to be 'subtle' around HERE eh! Well-spotted that man! ;-))
__________________
"Angle parked in a Parallel Universe"
Broo C em is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014