User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2006, 05:29 AM   #1
Srbenda OP
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,974
New Elite 80 for me...

I just put a deposit on this 1998 Honda Elite 80. Only has 1100 miles, but has been sitting for some time...It runs, but roughly. A quick carb cleanup will do the trick, I'm sure, and it will be good practice for Mrs. Breadman while the Stella is still in surgery.

What a deal too....

$350...

It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:54 AM   #2
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Good bargain! Nothing like having one that was so cheap you don't mind if it falls over or whatever. It's liberating.
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
Srbenda OP

..Or stolen! Or has all the shiny bits taken off and painted in flat black!

( I think that's my plan now)

This oculd become my true Battle Scooter!
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:59 AM   #4
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,250
$350????

Great deal.

Back when I had the Vento -- Ilmostro cut me a great deal on it -- I was able to recoup the purchase price in 3 months of commuting and from then on out I was putting money in my pocket--enough to make another car payment if I wanted to, or just pig out on delivery pizza. Cheap scoots are REALLY cool.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,187
Thumb

Nice looking $350 scooter. I found a 150 Elite last year for about the same price. Rode it for a month and a half then sold it for an additional $500, and it was still a good deal at that price.

Cheap Elites and Riva's can be found more readily than most scoots 'cause it seems most scooter folk turn there nose up at them. Styling is pretty dated these days, but they still run and ride well after much abuse.

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
Srbenda OP

I'm getting the scoot tomorrow. I know it needs a carb cleaning.

Can I accomplish this with carb cleaner without dissasembling the entire carb, or can I just do it in one piece?

the scoot is running now, so I know that it is not too bad gummed up.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #7
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,187
[QUOTE=BreadMan]
Can I accomplish this with carb cleaner without dissasembling the entire carb, or can I just do it in one piece?
QUOTE]

Possibly. Remove the bowl drain screw and hose 'er down. Then try some decent carb cleaner in the fuel tank as well (Techtron, Yamaha, Berryman and Seafoam are my favorites.), and ride it for a few miles/days/weeks. If it behaves poorly after that, you may have some carb disassembly in your future.

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:56 AM   #8
Srbenda OP

I rode it this AM for the first time. Top speed is about 15 mph. It just bogs down, and runs like $hit.

Firstly, I've got to figure out how to actually get at the motor. This came with no manual, so I don't want to start taking off pieces until I know I'm headed in the right direction.

I know it can't be anything badly wrong...look at the mileage.

Old 04-09-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
Srbenda OP

Well I got into Elite today...

The battery needs to be replaced, but I was able to keep charging it enough to keep starting it.

I changed the plug out and it ran better. I got it up to around 20 mph top speed. However, it was skipping pretty badly.

I brought it back, and checked the plug, and it was pretty dark wet....I pulled the air intake and shot some WD-40 down in the carb...

Now it won't start at all.

So it looks like a complete carb tear-down is in the works. I've never done this, but I think the Elite is a good way to start....

Any tips?

PS - Once all the tupperware is pulled off of the scoot it is really easy access to most everything...
Old 04-09-2006, 05:36 PM   #10
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
See if you can get the carb to dry out a bit from the WD40. (I would of sprayed some WD also).

Spray some starting fluid into the spark plug hole and into the carb. (Replace the spark plug). Try to start it then.

Periodically, my wife's Nissan would start running like crap - two bottles of fuel injector cleaner in a full tank of gas usually cleared things up by the end of the tank.

See if running a bit of that stuff in your gas will help ungunk the passages. (Yes, I know it isn't fuel-injected!)

Have you checked the jetting?

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:58 AM   #11
Srbenda OP

I have not checked the jetting yet, because it is a CV carb...real weird looking little thing. I'm hardly a mechanical genius as is, so digging into a unfamiliar carb was too much for yesterday.

I will try some starting fluid, and if that fails, then I'll just pull the carb out and try and clean/ rebuild. I'm not even sure where the jets are...
Old 04-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #12
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadMan
I have not checked the jetting yet, because it is a CV carb...real weird looking little thing. I'm hardly a mechanical genius as is, so digging into a unfamiliar carb was too much for yesterday.

I will try some starting fluid, and if that fails, then I'll just pull the carb out and try and clean/ rebuild. I'm not even sure where the jets are...

You could probably rustle up a clymers for it for about $20. Might be worth it to avoid some headache.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:39 AM   #13
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
My father in law just gave me one. Low miles. like new. anyone near providence, RI interested??
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #14
ajay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
My father in law just gave me one. Low miles. like new. anyone near providence, RI interested??

PM sent
ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:53 PM   #15
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams

levain is offline   Reply With Quote