Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #16
Srbenda OP
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,975
Hey!!!

Yours is as ugly as mine!
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #17
Srbenda OP

Got Elite running again. (I had the kill switch on)

Anyway, I seem to have a more serious problem. After messing with the carb a bit, and still having problems, I pulled the air filter completely off.

The scoot ran like a champ.

When I pulled back into the garage, I saw that a oil/gas mixture was draining back out of the air intake tube.

I started it up, and blue smoke came out of the pipe. Not good.

There is so much of it, it almost seems to be fed into the motor. I think I will pull all the tubes out of the carb and see if some brilliant back yard mechanic decided it was a 2-stroke and it needed oil injection...

That's the only thing I can think of now. I cannot otherwise imagine how oil would be getting into the carb.

Any other thoughts?
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #18
Srbenda OP

Nope. Pulled the fuel line and it was pure gas-o-line.

So where the f*ck is the oil coming from in such quantities?
Old 04-17-2006, 05:57 AM   #19
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
<<<<<...... see if some brilliant back yard mechanic decided it was a 2-stroke and it needed oil injection...

That's the only thing I can think of now. I cannot otherwise imagine how oil would be getting into the carb.

Any other thoughts?>>>>>[/quote]

It's been(is) overfilled w/ oil. This model has a "red flag" on the dash that trips every 1000 miles and many people think that means to add oil.
Get the carb cleaned out, make sure the right amount of oil is in the crankcase and dump the excess out of the muffler4. The rest will burn out of the pipe.
Like all scooters, but more so on the Elite 80, tighten the bolts that secure the pipe to the head first, then the muffle mounts.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:53 PM   #20
Srbenda OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomech
<<<<<...... see if some brilliant back yard mechanic decided it was a 2-stroke and it needed oil injection...

Any other thoughts?>>>>>
It's been(is) overfilled w/ oil. This model has a "red flag" on the dash that trips every 1000 miles and many people think that means to add oil.
Get the carb cleaned out, make sure the right amount of oil is in the crankcase and dump the excess out of the muffler4. The rest will burn out of the pipe.
Like all scooters, but more so on the Elite 80, tighten the bolts that secure the pipe to the head first, then the muffle mounts.[/quote]

That was part of it, in addition, the crankcase vent is still blowing out oil droplets...(???) so I've got to figure that out.

New plug, new air filter, and it seems to be running pretty well.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:18 PM   #21
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,303
stellar deal... I need to get a cute scoot for my wife and a true battle scoot like that for me!
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:46 AM   #22
Srbenda OP

More problems with the Elite.

Every time its cold, after sitting for more than 8 hours, I have to prime it to get it started. In this case, I prime it by pulling the plug, and placing a dropper of gasoline in the chamber.

I've run a tank of carb cleaner, and have shot gallons of it into the carbs. Is this a carb problem, or some other fuel flow issue?

Once it's started, it runs fine, but somehow I need to get the fuel flow to work better.

Any ideas?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #23
RandomGS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,868
Make sure not to give it gas when you start it. See if that works. Then check your "autobystarter", hopefully it isn't the problem - bout a $60 part.

The service manual has the testing procedure, if you cant get a copy, I can try to typeit out for you.

Greg
RandomGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #24
Srbenda OP

It would be nice if you could. I did not get the manual with mine.

(And I'm not giving it gas when I start it, just hitting the starter)
Old 05-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #25
RandomGS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,868
Its locted on the RH (exhaust side) of the carb on top. About the size of a (black) sparkplug. I believe it only has one bolt holding it in place.

Its copywrited, so I wont copy the info, but its the last section at the bottom of the page. very straightforward.

Source:
http://www.jacksscootershop.com/honda_info.html
RandomGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #26
Srbenda OP

Thanks, I'll pull it tomorrow night and see what I can find out...